Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Go get em' Drennan!!

Already making them locals look bad.  :)

Anyway, I'm out, gone racing. :peace1:

Event results.

http://www.scca.com/...ts.cfm?eid=6714

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

Wow, super fast times!  Track Record looks like a possibility.  Can't wait to see how the race works out.  Good luck to all.  Have fun go fast.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

To Jim Drago, SCCA, SMAC, the founders, the teams, the mechanics, the engine builders, the drivers, and everyone involved in helping build this amazing class of Spec Miata into what it is today, pat yourself on your backs.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME - 12 drivers withing 0.5 seconds in Q1. That is about as densely populated grid as you will find in any class of racing anywhere in the world. This is as good as it gets. Seriously, pat yourself on your backs, you have built something pretty awesome.

Q1 was in cool weather with a track with grip and the times showed it. Running a 1:42??? in qualifying is something that very few had ever done before today, but here we had 12 drivers in the 42's - that is just pretty amazing. Track position with a working friend was absolutely critical to a good lap. For my laps, only good enough for 12th, I have to thank Selin Rollan for 1 and Dillon McHavern for the other. Huge congrats to Blake Clements for pulling out the pole right at the end of the session! HUGE LAP

Q2 was much warmer and looked like the Q1 times would be safe, but we gave it a shot. In Q2 I got to within 0.3 of my morning time, third in the session, which bodes well for the race to be held in similar conditions. Setup seems to be good. But tomorrows early morning qualifier might just have some surprises, you never know.

Very proud to be running in amongst so many really talented drivers. 

• Mike Collins, Adax, Race Engineering and 1 other like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Looks like a few people moved a little this morning...but nothing in the top 10 I think . Yiannis and Gorilla made it into the teens I think.

Can someone post up a final grid sheet for the first race?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Live timing or this, except they are sometines a little late to the party.  http://www.scca.com/...ts.cfm?eid=6714

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
OMG...announcers are clueless!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Wow...sounded like one heck of a race! Congrats to Alex. Nice drive by Lamb to be in 5th...only .6 off the win!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Ralph Dommes

Ralph Dommes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:Wash DC
  • Car Number:80

Wonder what happended to Blake?   

• suck fumes likes this

Ralph Dommes

www.ralfracing.com
Motorpsorts Apps

Club Racer - Car #80 The Red Baron

BSR FATT Instructor
PDX Instructor

Beer Instructor

Terry Whitlock

Terry Whitlock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:Buccaneer
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:36

A big shout out to Panic Motorsports, Dillon Machavern and Dan Tiley.  Great prep, great driving and a super motor.  Hard to beat that combination.  Dillon put on quiet a drive coming from 11th to 2nd, set the fast lap of the race and finished ahead of at least three previous National Champions.  I'd say this young man has a future in the sport.  Way to go young gun.  Congratulations to the entire Panic gang.

• Race Engineering likes this

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75

Wonder what happended to Blake?

Flat tire
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Race Engineering

Race Engineering

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Number:48

Congrats everyone! Wish I could have been there this weekend.

Chris Graham
Race Engineering - Championship Proven
(864) 542-4018 chris@raceengineering.org

True North

True North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Region:Arizona
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:7

Can someone post the results for today...?

Thanks Rusty...found them on your post.

Race hard my friends,
Dean Busk
Director/Spec Liaison Az. SCCA
True North Equity Group

DylanMurcott

DylanMurcott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:Mohawk Hudson

A big shout out to Panic Motorsports, Dillon Machavern and Dan Tiley.  Great prep, great driving and a super motor.  Hard to beat that combination.  Dillon put on quiet a drive coming from 11th to 2nd, set the fast lap of the race and finished ahead of at least three previous National Champions.  I'd say this young man has a future in the sport.  Way to go young gun.  Congratulations to the entire Panic gang.

yeah Dillon's a great driver. I'm glad to have him as a co-driver this year in the IMSA Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge.
Good luck to everyone in tomorrows race!

http://www.youtube.c...00?feature=mhee
^^

check out my youtube channel

follow me on Instagram @ dylanmurcott

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Congrats to Alex, Dilllon and Andrew.

It was a very good race. very boring for the most part. First time on the Sm7's for me other than 2-3 scrub laps. I was told by many after the race they experienced the same feelings and issues as I did. My car was really good, but the tires felt like they were going off from about lap 3-5 on. They never went completely away, but they were not good either. My shoulders are very sore like I ran an 8 hour stint. The steering inputs were extremely heavy in one and five, like I dialed in 10 degrees of caster. Alex was struggling with the same issues, maybe a little worse. Debated lap after lap if I should just go by, gave it a lot of thought following him and decided my best shot was to push us away and make it a 1-2 lap race with one other guy. Had I passed Alex, he would have just used my draft to stay there and I wouldn't be able to get away,neither car was that planted. I had a little power on Alex, so I think we were faster with me pushing, almost worked. But when Dillon started pushing Carbonell we couldn't get away. Slight bobble in five for me, allowed Andrew to get ahead of me. A lap or so later I followed Carbonell to the point going into Turn 1. I picked with Andrew where I left off with Alex and was where I wanted to be with two to go. Andrew bobbled 7, I breathed it a hair not to tap his light quarter and turn him and had to pop out with a less than stellar run out of 7. Alex came through seven at speed with Dillon pushing they picked up Andrew and went first to forth just that fast. Lamb got to the party about this time as well, but we were not close enough to help each other. We went into 10 as a pack of 4 cars, not really side by side, I would say a mob of cars really. I thought I would have a run out of 10 for second, but Andrew closed the door as he should and I had to lift. I have to say, none of the cars had a ding on them, all were super clean and super respectful. Similar to what Danny said last week, I have replayed my decisions in this race a few times and sometimes you just get beat. Car was spot on and very fast, feel I drove very well and made good decisions, just lost the chess match.

The the reality of the dangers we face as racers hit us all square in the face yesterday. I have to say I did not like looking it in the face. In the STL race, a Porsche lost a trans going into five. rather than using his momentum and rolling over the hill and parking up against the wall, he parked it at the exit of five. Insanity! two cars came up, the first moved left, the second a 370z had no way to see the car, popped to outside and his r/f hit the Porsche lr and rolled the Z car a few times landing on its wheels. Mark gibbons and Amy mills come up and the same scenario ensues, this time Amy hits the LR of Z car hard and spins 180 degrees on track. Then Joey G comes up in his 1.5 day old car that used to belong to Dan Tiley and he and Amy hit head on. All the cars involved were DESTROYED. Very scary stuff. Amy is ok, sore knee and sore belts. They took Joey G top the hospital for observation, but I think he is "ok" , someone else can comment there. The Z car driver and Porsche driver were unhurt. Very scary stuff.

Today looks like rain, Blake, Todd lamb, Danny, Steve and a few others should come to the front.
Jim
  • Bench Racer likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

Jim thanks for the recap.  Really sorry to hear about the accident in the STL race.  Best wishes to all and hope everyone (Mark , Amy and Joey G) are ok.

Was there any tech other than weight?

Good luck and hope everyone has a safe race today.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Tech--I was not, but they did a random grouping of cars. I saw plates and maybe weight.  Look over by all.  

Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

jrmiata777

jrmiata777

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Good info Jim, I been texting Joey G and looks like he is ok and should be out of the hospital today , be safe everyone !!!

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
My feelings on tires are opposite of Jim. I have been looking at data from session to session all on same tires and looking for corner speed dropoffs due to tires... I raced on tires that had 2 prior sessions a scuff and a qual the tires felt consistent throughout the race for me. Love be one one set of tires for a weekend! This last race will be their 7hc, just ran stl which was a cluster fu ck on the 6th cycle went through t1 at 90mph without issues. Hope the 7th cycle will be the same.

K. Webb