Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

that is scary! It looked like he was pretty dazed. He unbuckled, try to get out and slumped back down in the seat. Then it looked like he may have been fumbling with belts again to reattach?  After that second hit, he was getting out, dazed or not.  I was sitting in gravel trap at ten after STL engine let go, I did not like it at all. I unbuckled hans as I couldn't move my head enough to see oncoming traffic.. I dint like that either, but I was stressing not being able to see oncoming traffic :(

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Joe Cooley

Joe Cooley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:2006
  • Car Number:5

The corner station was waving yellow but who knows if that what the case further down. I'm just amazed that a 1:15 after the initial wreck they're still running that hot

The open wheel guys are being tightlipped about which FA hit him too.  Blows my mind that they are doing that.  I'd bet good money it's the first FA that is a lap down, not from penalty.  IMSA booted two guys for a race for similar stuff yet this guy might get a couple points on his record and continue to race.  

that is scary! It looked like he was pretty dazed. He unbuckled, try to get out and slumped back down in the seat. Then it looked like he may have been fumbling with belts again to reattach?  After that second hit, he was getting out, dazed or not.  I was sitting in gravel trap at ten after STL engine let go, I did not like it at all. I unbuckled hans as I couldn't move my head enough to see oncoming traffic.. I dint like that either, but I was stressing not being able to see oncoming traffic :(

It looks like his unbuckling was in response to the car at the top of the hill where that driver got out.  Then he heard cars coming full chat down the front straight and though this is bad.  Scariest thing to think is that he had tossed the steering wheel. He now had a 1" metal spear pointed at his chest too.  

FWIW he was okay according to the other open wheel guys.

2006 T4 MX-5  White

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

The fact that the driver who hit the parked car wasn't grabbed and impounded is really surprising to me.  Up in our region if you come in from a race with damage you get called over usually.  We even have contact impound now at some races!

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

Not saying they shouldn't, but if it IS filled in what keeps everyone from moving a foot farther over to the right exiting the corner (and eventually digging a new hole)? It used to be the track ended at the edge of the rumble strips but people kept going over that edge so they paved some more. Now people regularly put their whole car to the right of the rumble strips (on top of the concrete).

More pavement is not always the correct solution...

The solution at T11 at Laguna has worked pretty well - effectively astroturf with rubber pellets laid on top.  You can drive over it all you want but it slows you down enough that you don't want to.  Mistakes don't cost you a car (well, they wouldn't at that turn anyways) but do prevent you from using the extra space to go further.

• Alberto likes this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users