• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

bvondran

bvondran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Car Year:1990
Replacing the rear knuckles on my 1990 SM and I can't seem to get the axles to seat all the way into the hub. My car has the VLSD. It looks like the new hub is built for a more tapered axle whereas my axle flange is straighter. As a result, the axle doesn't seat all the way into the hub and the axle nut doesn't fully seat on the stub.

I didn't think there were differences between the early hubs. Is there something I'm missing or do I need a different set of hubs or axles?

Original axle and new hub are pictured below.

Thanks,
Brian

Attached Files

bvondran

bvondran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Car Year:1990
Deleted erroneous post.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

I'm no expert and have a 99 but...

On the axle I see burrs, maybe nothing. Id use a wire brush on both the axle and the knuckle bearing, maybe file if they are burrs.

Also some anti seize on install.

Last compare your old knuckle to new, if there the same, it should work.

Maybe use an impact gun.

Once again, not an expert, not sure if the LVSD need something different, I have a torsen.

Good luck.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

2 things....

You are missing the hub/axle seal in the picture. If you put in you axle without this...it looks like the axle doesnt seal all the way when in reality it is more than likely seated fine. You will see maybe a 2-3MM gap without this. 2nd...though i hate to agree with Johnny :burst: , you need to take a wire brush to the rusty splines...then some anti sieze or grease when you install...the next guy to take out the axle will love you!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users