DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I got black flagged (twice) at a track day on Tuesday for fuel leaking out of the filler door.  I only started with half a tank of fuel.  When we opened the cap it seems that the tank is pressurized.  My car has always done this, but not like this.  Check out the video.  Any thoughts?

http://youtu.be/aKZCyEq8Ung

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:Cen-Div
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:67

Does your car have a modified fuel filler neck?

Nic Piekarski

My 99 Spec Miata makes great torque under 5,500 RPM!!!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59

There is a pressure control valve on the top of the tank. I would bet yours is bad. LInky:https://mazdamotorsp...ectionId=4200A#

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Items that can cause this;

1- gas cap

2- Small fuel lines going to filler neck not looped

3- roll over check valve in bottom of fuel filler neck stuck open or missing

4- charcoal cannister gone bad (possibly from 1-2 or 3)

5- stuck check valve for evap system

6- modified evap system, put back to stock

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Hmmmm...well, I have a few things to look at I guess.  Thanks.

Modified fuel filler neck?  Yes, I believe so...per GCR.

But what's the deal with the gas cap?  That seems like the easiest fix.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

We had one car that had an exhaust coupling come loose, which left exhaust being directed toward the fuel tank.  It ended up blowing the cap off the tank, very loudly.  Obviously VERY dangerous!  It would at least be worth a check on your car.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

The allowed modification of the fuel filler neck is to remove the unleaded fuel restrictor under the cap. This will have no effect.

At the bottom of the filler neck is a plastic trap door doohickey. These have a tendancy to stick causing slow fuel fill. Some people remove them, but this also allows fuel slosh to get up into the filler neck.

On 99s only, there are 4 hoses that go to the filler neck from the gas tank. The main fuel filler hose (2" diameter) the breather (1 inch diameter) and 2 small 1/4" hoses. The 2 small hoses should be looped back onto each other. Hose one should go from the nipple on the filler neck to the other nipple on the filler neck. The second hose should go from the nipple coming out of the tank area and go to the other nipple from the tank area. This is also allowed. Note that this applies only to 1999 cars, NA and 2000+ do not have these hoses.

Dave

• Chris Semanciw likes this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

The allowed modification of the fuel filler neck is to remove the unleaded fuel restrictor under the cap. This will have no effect.

At the bottom of the filler neck is a plastic trap door doohickey. These have a tendancy to stick causing slow fuel fill. Some people remove them, but this also allows fuel slosh to get up into the filler neck.

On 99s only, there are 4 hoses that go to the filler neck from the gas tank. The main fuel filler hose (2" diameter) the breather (1 inch diameter) and 2 small 1/4" hoses. The 2 small hoses should be looped back onto each other. Hose one should go from the nipple on the filler neck to the other nipple on the filler neck. The second hose should go from the nipple coming out of the tank area and go to the other nipple from the tank area. This is also allowed. Note that this applies only to 1999 cars, NA and 2000+ do not have these hoses.

Dave

A picture says a thousand words...got one Dave??

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Dave

Not to mention that little Doohickey in the filler neck would keep gas from running all over you if the car rolled over. vary easy to disassemble the filler neck and check the check valve. Worth spending some time to make sure its functioning correctly. Did I mention that risk of fire is what I fear the most?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

I got black flagged (twice) at a track day on Tuesday for fuel leaking out of the filler door.  I only started with half a tank of fuel.  When we opened the cap it seems that the tank is pressurized.  My car has always done this, but not like this.  Check out the video.  Any thoughts?

http://youtu.be/aKZCyEq8Ung

Are you certain the sound is from air being pushed out when you loosen the cap and not from it being sucked in? If pushed out, there should have been a pervasive smell of gas fumes. If you have a non-vented gas cap or a faulty one, the tank can create a vacuum from either the fuel & air condensing from a temp drop or from fuel use. The cap should be designed to allow the tank to breath in when needed and the evap system to allow it to breath out when needed.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Are you certain the sound is from air being pushed out when you loosen the cap and not from it being sucked in? If pushed out, there should have been a pervasive smell of gas fumes. If you have a non-vented gas cap or a faulty one, the tank can create a vacuum from either the fuel & air condensing from a temp drop or from fuel use. The cap should be designed to allow the tank to breath in when needed and the evap system to allow it to breath out when needed.

Yeah, I'm sure...part of the problem was fuel leaking OUT of the cap/door.  

Dave, thanks.  I will look at the hoses this weekend.

Domm Leuci

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Number:11

Dave

Dave, what do the 2 1/4" hose do (i.e. where do they go?)  

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Dave, what do the 2 1/4" hose do (i.e. where do they go?)  

He asks the best questions. :rotfl:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Easy Johnny....

I don't have a fuel diagram handy and just wonder what the function of the two 1/4" vent lines are for.  Given they are not on subsequent 01,02 year models they must have been replaced or done away with.  It is an engineering disease, we often want to know why....

sheesh...

• DrDomm likes this

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
First, this only applies to 1999 model cars. Not applicable to 2000 or newer. nor to 90-97s

The 2 lines that come out from the gas tank area do NOT go directly to the tank. they are part of the evaporative emmisions system. What I think happens is when you have fuel slosh going up into the filler neck on cornering, some of that fuel goes into these evap lines. Which would normally only have fuel vapors in them. When liquid fuel gets in the lines, it eventually gets into the charcoal cannister near the right rear wheel. Eventually the canister fills with fuel and the tank can not properly vent and/or the fuel leaks out of the cannister. If the canister fills completely, the fuel will get into the canister under the hood behind the right headlamp. This will cause the engine to run poorly.

Looping the hoses eliminates any possibility of fuel getting into the canister this way. Yet the system still functions properly. getting liquid fuel in the canister will ruin the canister. It should be packed with granular charcoal. If it rattles the canister is junk.

Dave
  • DrDomm likes this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Thanks Dave.  Understood.  

is the rattle test valid for both the rear and front canisters?

- Speed

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

The front canister (on a 99) is just a vapor store tank, I don't believe there is anything in it, but I've never cut one open either, so...

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

The front canister (on a 99) is just a vapor store tank, I don't believe there is anything in it, but I've never cut one open either, so...

Correct, the front is simple an empty catch can

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Easy Johnny....

I don't have a fuel diagram handy and just wonder what the function of the two 1/4" vent lines are for.  Given they are not on subsequent 01,02 year models they must have been replaced or done away with.  It is an engineering disease, we often want to know why....

sheesh...

It's all good. Glad your asking, Dave and the guys give great answers, we all learn, and it leeads to others things.

I'm a Mech Designer, see objects in my head in 3D.

I don't think I'm counting but..

Cam Shimmed

Wheel lock removed.

Alignment string

Clutch bypass

If you're fixing as you go, you should have a nice piece.

Keep it up!! See you at the track.

That goes for you lurkers out there too. :wave2:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

My car is a constant project.   I have a fair bit of mechanical experience but I am open to learning all the time.  And there are some very experienced Zen masters here who share information.  

Since our last time on track i have swapped rear uprights, 4 shocks, diff, rear subframe, brake line, rerouted fuel 1/4" fuel lines per Dave, currently putting a sleeve on my crank to stop the massive leak caused by a crevice on the crank.  None of it was damaged from the weekend.  Nor will it make me faster but i have been battling something not be square or right in the car.  Hopefully I will get a more consistent setup and tweak from there.  

- Speed

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users