Photo

Thunderhill weekend race videos

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34

Man another rough weekend for me getting taken out in the first race (that video coming later.) TFB put my suspension back together and got me back on track for my Sunday race.

Here's my Sunday view starting and finishing P3 by way of P2. Thanks to Haag Performance for great engine and prep work! (Four of the top six spots were Haag powered.)

There was a bit of controversy over the finish where the 48 pushed me into the grass on the run to the finish line (fast forward to 32:00.) Somehow the 48 felt this did not warrant steward's review. (Spoiler, he was docked three positions.)

Enjoy!

-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I heard this incident was called in...not reviewed via protest or paper thrown correct? Was the contact between the 1 and 48 seen as well? It was clear you and the 1 had power over the 48. I would have liked to see the 1 take a different approach in getting the pass made. Trying to get a nose in turn 14 and then turn 15...which resulted in the 1 driving up over the curb and then the contact which almost put the 48 in the wall, I hope is a lesson for the young driver. It could have ended much worse! Had the 1 just moved left and ran a more normal line going in to 14 with a little gap, he would have easily had a better run and made the pass  IMO! But i do want to congratulated Alex(#1) on a solid first weekend ever in a Miata...great skills!

Good drive Juan and for hanging in there with the many issues over the last several months!

As always, Mark Drennan drove like a machine to 2 easy wins...congrats Mark!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990

There was a bit of controversy over the finish where the 48 pushed me into the grass on the run to the finish line (fast forward to 32:00.) Somehow the 48 felt this did not warrant steward's review. (Spoiler, he was docked three positions.)

Enjoy!

-Juan

That is some pretty ugly driving by 48...  It almost looked like he didn't see you at first.

Sorry for your bad luck but - nice driving. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Man another rough weekend for me getting taken out in the first race (that video coming later.) TFB put my suspension back together and got me back on track for my Sunday race.

Here's my Sunday view starting and finishing P3 by way of P2. Thanks to Haag Performance for great engine and prep work! (Four of the top six spots were Haag powered.)

Enjoy!

-Juan

In the other thread, I made a comment about defensive driving, which is OK, and being an ass.  That 48 was an example of the latter.

• Alberto likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

CARacer

CARacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Car Year:1991

My view of the Group 7 start. I qualified 2nd for SSM. The green #91, in 1st, hit the wrong pedal at the start, so I went into turn 1 20 car lengths ahead of the next SSM thinking, "Hmm, this could work out for me." You can see Juan's #34 get pitched into the air, then #72 and #14 hitting FR corners. #14 then went into my RR. After the contact with #14, I had body work scraping my tire, so, not wanting to destroy the tire, I pulled in on lap 2.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

My view of the Group 7 start. I qualified 2nd for SSM. The green #91, in 1st, hit the wrong pedal at the start, so I went into turn 1 20 car lengths ahead of the next SSM thinking, "Hmm, this could work out for me." You can see Juan's #34 get pitched into the air, then #72 and #14 hitting FR corners. #14 then went into my RR. After the contact with #14, I had body work scraping my tire, so, not wanting to destroy the tire, I pulled in on lap 2.

Oh that sucks.

J~

• Bench Racer likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

I heard this incident was called in...not reviewed via protest or paper thrown correct?

Yup. The impound steward referred it to the SOM because the #48 and I could not come to an agreement about what happened. I filled out a witness form, not a protest form.

Actually after watching the video and sleeping on it, I think the 3 place penalty was way too easy for the offense. His first move was being a dick. The subsequent moves were intended to punt me off the road with total disregard for safety.

-Juan

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

White and Blue car.  WTF?  I have no idea why he was 4 wheels off, but the reentry damaged at least 3 cars.  Paper?

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

Yup. The impound steward referred it to the SOM because the #48 and I could not come to an agreement about what happened. I filled out a witness form, not a protest form.

Actually after watching the video and sleeping on it, I think the 3 place penalty was way too easy for the offense. His first move was being a dick. The subsequent moves were intended to punt me off the road with total disregard for safety.

-Juan

Actually not too impressed with either of the cars in front of you.  Why did P2 stay inside when P1 chose to block the inside?  Would have been easy to breathe, drift left, throttle, buh-bye.  I'd be interested to know what the #48 thought happened, other than cutting your nose off, not succeeding, and then just running you into the lawn.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Maybe it's time for a rule addition, "any and all  four wheel off", car SHALL come to a complete stop and be directed back on course by a flag person, if the driver does not follow the rule throw a black flag for a stop and go in the hot pit. When a 4 wheel off goes all wrong the driver is a dumb whatever, when a 4 wheel off dose not cause an accident the driver is treated like a hero.

Looked like the white and bue car was WAY outside entering and all the way through the corner.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

I'd be interested to know what the #48 thought happened, other than cutting your nose off, not succeeding, and then just running you into the lawn.

#48 excuses in order presented:

1) We had an awesome race! (up until we didn't)

2) The silver car was to my right. I had to move left. (no)

3) I was still gathering it up. (no)

4) I don't know why I moved left.

5) I was entitled to defend my position. (one move only)

Best excuse was 4 as that's the one that can't be refuted from the evidence.

BTW, video from the trailing car shows that he moved over a third time when I was beside him which is why we contacted. It's apparent that he was trying to shove me off the road when impeding my progress did not suffice.

I'm glad I stayed left. This scenario would have been really ugly had it played out track right...

-Juan

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

So what's up with the results, Juan ??

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

So what's up with the results, Juan ??

Johnny, you are a tough task master! Here you go, hot off the presses:

http://checkerlap.co...c7dd80002bbffa4

BTW, the way this works is that timing and scoring buttons up the results from the weekend and sends them my way some time Monday. Once I get them, I upload to CheckerLap.com. So the results are usually published by Monday night.

Thanks!

-Juan

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Thanks Juan, just wondering if they were delayed by SFR, flogging #48, etc. :)

J~

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Nice circle track skills Brandon! 

Question...why were you and the car that hit the brake not on the bumpers of the cars in front of you? 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bad Rusty

Bad Rusty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Region:Arizona

Based off of all of the video, I'm glad I missed the weekend! (Lord knows they are running out of drivers side doors for 99's!)

• Joe (dad) Jordan likes this

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

So here's the video of my very short Sunday race. Warning, Miatas injured in this video. The hit was so hard it broke the right rear upright. Brandon, thanks for posting your view! I did not realize my car went over so much. Would have been an ugly ride if it rolled.

I ended up pointing down track at almost a standstill, so I gunned it to try to get going ASAP to avoid getting hit again. With the broken upright, all I could do was drive like a drunken sailor to park it on the bypass.

To his credit, the driver of the #72 owned up completely for his responsibility and we shook hands after. He was also very interested to understand what he could have done better. While I'm not happy about the damage, I found his approach here somewhat redeeming. We talked over what happened, which is clear. He tried to bring the car back on track while still on the berm and at full throttle. The rear tire hung up on the raised edge of the berm which sent him sideways across track. This is the classic scenario that causes a car to spin across track. He had never been taught this. I know he is not alone here.

So for those that have not heard this before: when you have wheels off on an exit berm, WAIT until you are past the end of the berm before you try to pull the car back on the pavement. Be gentle with the steering. And it helps if you hold neutral throttle when you come back on. Following this advice will increase your chances of a safe reentry and hopefully avoid the scenario you will see in the video.

Another piece of advice: carry your phone in the race. While watching the race from the infield with the safety crew I was messaging. No not FaceBook. I was making arrangements to fix the car. So even before the race ended, I had the work lined up. TFB put the car back together and it was perfect for the next day. Thanks TFB, you guys are awesome!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

So here's the video of my very short Sunday race. Warning, Miatas injured in this video. The hit was so hard it broke the right rear upright. Brandon, thanks for posting your view! I did not realize my car went over so much. Would have been an ugly ride if it rolled.

I ended up pointing down track at almost a standstill, so I gunned it to try to get going ASAP to avoid getting hit again. With the broken upright, all I could do was drive like a drunken sailor to park it on the bypass.

To his credit, the driver of the #72 owned up completely for his responsibility and we shook hands after. He was also very interested to understand what he could have done better. While I'm not happy about the damage, I found his approach here somewhat redeeming. We talked over what happened, which is clear. He tried to bring the car back on track while still on the berm and at full throttle. The rear tire hung up on the raised edge of the berm which sent him sideways across track. This is the classic scenario that causes a car to spin across track. He had never been taught this. I know he is not alone here.

So for those that have not heard this before: when you have wheels off on an exit berm, WAIT until you are past the end of the berm before you try to pull the car back on the pavement. Be gentle with the steering. And it helps if you hold neutral throttle when you come back on. Following this advice will increase your chances of a safe reentry and hopefully avoid the scenario you will see in the video.

Another piece of advice: carry your phone in the race. While watching the race from the infield with the safety crew I was messaging. No not FaceBook. I was making arrangements to fix the car. So even before the race ended, I had the work lined up. TFB put the car back together and it was perfect for the next day. Thanks TFB, you guys are awesome!

Not to start trouble, just for learning...

How do you call 30 and 18 ??

And what Ron said, you guys aren't even on top of each other at the start and you guys become a cluster.

J~

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Question...why were you and the car that hit the brake not on the bumpers of the cars in front of you? 

The start was a clusterfuck before we ever got on the main straight.  Juan's video shows this.  Look at the gap behind and in front of him at the front of the pack.  The pace car was ridiculously slow the entire warm up lap bunching us all up until the last turn.  Then it accelerated off the last turn and the front of the pack was full throttle coming out of that turn while the rest of the pack was still slowing for the last turn.  It almost looked like the front of the pack started the race before the green flag fell.

CARacer

CARacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Car Year:1991

Thanks!

What Alberto said. Every other race that weekend we lined up on the front straight, but for this one it seemed like as soon as the pace car pulled off the guys at the front went for it right away. You can see in Juan's video there were big gaps even several rows in front of us.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users