Photo

Miatacage wheel studs - have to drill hubs?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

John Tyler

John Tyler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1994

Looks like a good price for extended wheel studs and lug nuts: http://miatacage.com...ds-and-lug-nuts. But there's a note in the description that says "These studs may require that you slightly oversize drill the stock Miata hub up to 9/16" to allow the larger studs to be pressed into place." 

Has anybody ever bought these and had to drill the hubs? Or do they fit just fine without drilling?

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

John, I followed your link and noticed this on that web page:

"We do offer a press fit set of studs and nuts that DO NOT require any drilling as well.  Click here to see that product. The press fit set of studs and nuts are 2.75" in length versus the 3.5" and are more expensive."

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

But there's a note in the description that says "These studs may require that you slightly oversize drill the stock Miata hub up to 9/16" to allow the larger studs to be pressed into place." [/size][/font][/color][/background]

If I were buying these studs, I would call miatacage and ask miatacage for the exact hole size plus/minus required for their studs. I bought some ARP studs for an F production Miata and the house I bought from didn't know the hole size therefore I called ARP for their exact hole size plus/minus. Point being, if you were to do some sloppy drilling you may not have the intended press fit.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

These APPEAR to be ARP studs...  ARP studs do not require drilling if you get the correct stud to your hub.

Hell, you don't really need a press either (use washers, old steel lug nut, deep-well socket and an impact).

• FTodaro likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

These APPEAR to be ARP studs...  ARP studs do not require drilling if you get the correct stud to your hub.

Hell, you don't really need a press either (use washers, old steel lug nut, deep-well socket and an impact).

Did you by chance read the potential issues with broken front hubs? When you use anything other than your fingers to install a stud (impact included) you will have something from a slight interferance fit to a press fit. Hence if they don't call out the hole size plus/minus, you don't have a clue what your fit is. This is information, please don't take the info the wrong way. IIRC ARP has a couple different diameter knurls that may work with the Miata. Same thread and knurl length that will work with a stud length of 2 3/4 inches with a knurl of .507 diameter (Miata) and a stud length of 3 1/4 inches with a knurl of .509 diameter (GM). Is that .002 inch more press fit asking for trouble? I don't have any idea and that's why I make the call to ARP. :scratchchin:

Couldn't find install instructions on-line. ARP under instructions did say:

The instructions for this kit are not online yet. Please call us at 800.826.3045

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

We offer 2 types of studs and both are ARP.  The older style required that the front hubs be drilled up slightly to make the stud press fit into place on the front hubs.  Since we started selling those back in 2002 it was all that was really available that was not a Chinese part.  Fast forward to the last couple years and ARP now makes press fit studs for the Miata for both the front and the rear.  We only continue to sell both, because of the amount of cars that had them from back in the day and the fact that they are $50.00 less than the press fit car set.  

The wheel spacer rule back then was also very different.  On 1.6L cars we were able to run as much as a 1" spacer on the front and not break the rule.  This is the OLD rule, so let's not please debate what was or was not legal 10 years ago.  In order to run a 1" spacer we needed longer (bull nose) high quality studs and not the Chinese made stuff with Aluminum lug nuts.

Back to 2014......Personally I like the press fit studs and don't want to mess with the drilling.  We still sell quite a few of the old style so the price point difference must still be enough for some people to opt for them.

Sean

• john mueller likes this
Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

Did you by chance read the potential issues with broken front hubs? When you use anything other than your fingers to install a stud (impact included) you will have something from a slight interferance fit to a press fit. Hence if they don't call out the hole size plus/minus, you don't have a clue what your fit is. This is information, please don't take the info the wrong way. IIRC ARP has a couple different diameter knurls that may work with the Miata. Same thread and knurl length that will work with a stud length of 2 3/4 inches with a knurl of .507 diameter (Miata) and a stud length of 3 1/4 inches with a knurl of .509 diameter (GM). Is that .002 inch more press fit asking for trouble? I don't have any idea and that's why I make the call to ARP. :scratchchin:

Couldn't find install instructions on-line. ARP under instructions did say:

The instructions for this kit are not online yet. Please call us at 800.826.3045

I had a headache for days after trying to wrap my head around the stresses involved.  We never got the info back on which studs folks were using and whether they followed any added protocol.  Here is yet another possible clue, or rabbit hole as the case may be.  I'll leave it to somebody else to dig up that thread...

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

John Tyler

John Tyler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1994

Cool, thanks for all the replies everyone! This is exactly the information I was looking for. Still not sure exactly what I'm going to do, was looking for extended wheel studs thinking that I would run spacers, but this particular car won't be built for SM and will just be an autox / HPDE and possibly TT toy. So now leaning towards OEM studs and 15x9 wheels. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users