Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:19
Hey guys,

Just about to get the car ready for the season. I am going to bleed to brakes and put fresh fluid in (I use super blue). I have a container or two that I have opened and used. I have heard that I shouldn't use fluid that is from an open container after sitting for a while. Is this true? Do I need to buy brand new, sealed in the container, fluid? Thanks!

Scott
How do I fit this Ls7 into my mia.... nevermind

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
The question becomes, how long ago did you open it and how well did you put the lid back on. Open brake fluid will begin to absorb moisture from the air lowering its boiling point and changing its dynamic operating range. Did you store in a cool dry place or in a place with lots of humidity? Brake fluid is not expensive, I'd buy new.....
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Opened probably in October. Not sure if it's in my trailer or in my garage. Good point though. Ill buy new. Just sucks that so much of it goes to waste.

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

Opened probably in October. Not sure if it's in my trailer or in my garage. Good point though. Ill buy new. Just sucks that so much of it goes to waste.

No need to waste it. Use it on a street car, it's bound to be 10X better than what is in most street cars. Or give it away to a DE driver. Lot's of alternatives to throwing it in the trash and ending up in our driking water :(
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
True. Thanks guys!

Steve D

Steve D

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:30

Lot's of alternatives to throwing it in the trash and ending up in our driking water :(

One alternative would be to dump it in the recycling tank next time you are at the track. That way it doesn't booger up anyone's brakes and it doesn't end up in the ground water.

Steve DeVinney
Retired mediocre driver

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
This is one of the reasons that I use and recomend the Castrol LMA fluid for use in SM. Small containers, so you can easily empty the bottle in one bleed. And cheap, so you don't feel bad throwing it away.

You should label any brake fluid bottle with a Sharpie on he day you open it. After 30 days it is not for use in a racecar. Imagine how I feel with a half bottle of SRF at $85 per bottle!!!!!!

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
I posted this on the other brake fluid discussion. This will show you the difference in the boiling point of your fluid. Consider any fluid in an opened container more than 30 days, or so, as wet.
http://www.westpennm...arison_List.pdf

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
I will probably switch to Casttrol LMA then. I noticed that Super Blue as a higher boiling point of almost 100 degrees compared to the Castrol LMA.

I know it probably depends on pads, track, weather, and style of driving. But how hot do our brakes get?

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Number:51

One alternative would be to dump it in the recycling tank next time you are at the track. That way it doesn't booger up anyone's brakes and it doesn't end up in the ground water.

I buy a one-gallon metal paint can at the hardware store. All unwanted brake fluid goes into that can. When it's full it goes to the recycling center.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

This is one of the reasons that I use and recomend the Castrol LMA fluid for use in SM. Small containers, so you can easily empty the bottle in one bleed. And cheap, so you don't feel bad throwing it away.

You should label any brake fluid bottle with a Sharpie on he day you open it. After 30 days it is not for use in a racecar. Imagine how I feel with a half bottle of SRF at $85 per bottle!!!!!!

Dave

But SRF's Wet boiling point is 70F higher than the LMS's Dry BP.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
Have used Castrol LMA and seems to work fine. Think I bought it online but sure would like a local source. It is easier for me to find Motul. Anyone know if any of the big auto parts guys carry Castrol? I also heard sometime ago that the stuff the Ford sells (Motorcraft?) will work in our cars. Can anyone confirm that?

Record cold here in the Northwest with snow on the ground. Isn't spring right around the corner?

Bill

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
As much as I would prefer you bought LMA from your friendly Miata store. Most national chain auto parts stores can order LMA. They may want you to buy a case, but it is pretty cheap.

If LMA can stand up to Blackhawk Farms, it will work at all the tracks that are easy on brakes.

Wet boiling point is not important, we should never have wet fluid in a racecar

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

As much as I would prefer you bought LMA from your friendly Miata store. Most national chain auto parts stores can order LMA. They may want you to buy a case, but it is pretty cheap.

If LMA can stand up to Blackhawk Farms, it will work at all the tracks that are easy on brakes.

You know I love my friendly Miata store. You got any deals on a case of that stuff? Like free shipping perhaps? Got two cars to feed now.....

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
Can anyone recommend where to source the paint that changes color with heat? I'm doing some testing with rear pads this spring and will need to monitor how hot the rotors are getting so that I can match a pad's temp range.

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Dave your not making sense on this point. The boiling point is the important factor in a racecar's brake fluid. With the following Dry/Wet boiling points Castrol SRF 590F/518F and LMA 446F/311F; SRF is superior even after it has "gone bad". Don't get me wrong I'm not defending a product I use, because I don't use SRF, but I have considered it.

Chris

- George Burns

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Can anyone recommend where to source the paint that changes color with heat? I'm doing some testing with rear pads this spring and will need to monitor how hot the rotors are getting so that I can match a pad's temp range.

Boy this stuff is pricey too. Here ya go:
http://www.pegasusau....asp?RecID=4974

Chris

- George Burns

KAGEY

KAGEY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:DMVR
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:43
A higher boiling point is not important when you will never reach it. Also the higher the boiling point the more likely the fluid will become contaminated by mositure

Kurtis

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Regarding the Castrol LMA (which I would always order from Dave W. if I have other items in the cart), I just picked up a case - 12 bottles - from NAPA as a prepaid special order for $36 including tax. Pretty good deal. Plan to renew the fluid every other weekend this year as the car will see double duty.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Dave your not making sense on this point.

Dave is more than capable of speaking for himself but I take the point that one shouldn't let the brake system get to the point where there is 3% water. Or the amount present to be considered a "wet" point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users