DionJ

DionJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:68

All the talk about going back to harder tires, lower offset wheels etc. Why not instead have a supplier build and the rules accept an optional front hub with real replaceable bearings that are up to the task? We do this with bump stops and suspension pieces. Initial cost might be higher, but less frequent replacement/ repacking and dnf's would make that up fairly quickly...

• Armando Ramirez likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12

Is this just a game of moving the failure around though?  What starts failing after that?  

• svvs likes this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Who puts up the 25k or more in development money? What do we do when the first version is no better or worse than what we have? It is easy to throw out these ideas, but implementing them may be harder than we think. 

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Everything Jim said. Plus, If I develop the new bearing, what is to stop Joe Blow from copying it and not having any development costs. By the time patent is approved Spec Miata will be no more.

I like the idea, just doubt the feasability.

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

Rather than chasing failure ad infinitum, wouldn't it be easier to tweak tire compound/construction to be a little more forgiving? Even if a little grip is sacrificed you retain low cost and reliability of the class. As we've seen, tire contracts come and go so I would hate to see rule changes for something that may go away with the next tire.

• RussMcB likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

A similar issue raised it's ugly head (IIRC breaking hubs and wheels flying off) in the early 2000's with the 1st gen Mazda RX7 SCCA production cars. The bearings in those hubs were not an issue, they were tapered rolller bearings with seperate outer races. There was meat and space to redesign. They cured the issue with redesigned front hubs/brake rotors. With the OEM hubs, they did all the similar on track stuff SM drivers do at faster speeds.

kcraceware.com

rx7hub.jpg

EP Mazda RX-7 front hub/rotor assembly.  Direct replacement for '84-'85 GSL-SE front brakes.  Designed to be used with the stock Mazda bearings, seal, and dust cap.  Hub is billet aluminum and can be supplied with your choice of metric or SAE wheel studs.  Hub also comes with the bearing races already installed.  Rotor is heat treated and has directional vanes.  Uses stock caliper.  This assembly is vastly superior to the stock, one piece, cast iron hub and rotor, as well as being 5+ pounds lighter.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Do we even know that the bearing failures are a result of the tire size/compound?

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I think it is a pretty logical assumption, that since we have gotten faster, we have gotten harder on hubs. More HP does not effect hub life.

Tires are a consumable. they only last so long. Where as wheels, hubs etc are (or should be) a rarely replaced item. So changing tire design/manufacturer/size/compound is a much more palatable expense.

When you think about the big picture, our hub issue is a very small expense/hassel when compared to any other class.

Dave

• john mueller likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

-edit-

Tires are a consumable. they only last so long. Where as wheels, hubs etc are (or should be) a rarely replaced item. So changing tire design/manufacturer/size/compound is a much more palatable expense.

When you think about the big picture, our hub issue is a very small expense/hassel when compared to any other class.

Dave

A lowed grip compound would probably be the best route, if the instances of failure continue with the SM7s. A narrower tire may not work optimally on the 7" width wheels we run, which is about perfect for 205s.  And, I doubt there would be much market demand for our old, slightly heavy 15x7 wheels if a new size was required.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Number:78

Yet, there are those who do not destroy hub bearings no matter what.  Explaining that one would be the first step to improvement. 

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I think it is a pretty logical assumption, that since we have gotten faster, we have gotten harder on hubs. More HP does not effect hub life.

Dave

Look at my misplaced post in the mid ohio thread and tell me that bearing quality control is not a factor, comparing the before and after effects of tires. Tires as the cause is only relevant as a cause if all other factors remain constant. That is what we have to figure out or we are just chasing our tail.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Front bearings have been a weak link for the 12+ years I've raced SM, even when everyone was on Toyos. Frank's approach seems much more logical than just assuming "it's gotta be the Hoosiers."

• Jim Drago likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

Frank & R.G, good points. However, routine maintenance and occasional replacement of the hubs is not as big a deal to me as the flange failures. Those usually cause damage beyond the hub and could lead to driver injuries. The cause of this problem needs to be remedied, if these failures continue to appear. 

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

Yet, there are those who do not destroy hub bearings no matter what.  Explaining that one would be the first step to improvement. 

Good point.

The only failure I've had was the one I brushed the K rail with.

Better balls, better grease, repack once a year whether they need it or not.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts

Front bearings have been a weak link for the 12+ years I've raced SM, even when everyone was on Toyos. Frank's approach seems much more logical than just assuming "it's gotta be the Hoosiers."

Agreed! these hubs were NEVER meant to be raced in the first place.  

Jim

• Bench Racer likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Driving style has a lot to do with failures.  

Also has anyone ever measured a 205 hoosier vs a 205 toyo???  A 225 toyo is the same as a 205 hoosier.  A 195 Hoosier would fit on our current rims very nicely.

• Todd Lamb likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Good point.

Not trying to negative, did you miss the post that Mazda's new suoer duper hubs failed out east this past weekend? I have not had a hub failure either. Maybe I have the most supreme hubs made or maybe I don't put an equal load on my hubs that failed hub drivers do. What about the hubs that have had the hub flanges fracture.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Agreed! these hubs were NEVER meant to be raced in the first place.  

Jim

There is a message within this message. :bigsquaregrin:  We'll need to wait for the next FasTrack.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,567 posts

Not trying to negative, did you miss the post that Mazda's new suoer duper hubs failed out east this past weekend? I have not had a hub failure either. Maybe I have the most supreme hubs made or maybe I don't put an equal load on my hubs that failed hub drivers do. What about the hubs that have had the hub flanges fracture.

Mazda Super duper hubs are nothing special and nothing than many havent done for years.  There are many many factors that come into play, curbs, towing, driving style, tires, towing and strapping, grease used and one of teh biggest is under torqued hubs for those trying to get the car to roll easier.  If the huib is under torqued, it will fail VERY quickly. 

No hidden meanbing in my post, we have no plans to develop or allow alternative hubs at this point in SM, not even talked about. You may see member input on 195 tires soon though

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Good point.

Ah I new month and I can post again!! Though I am blowing my wad kinda early.

Repack once a year whether they need it or not??!!! Yikes. Am I the only one that inspects and repacks after every weekend and sometimes during the weekend? Also, last year I bought a hub from mazda and out of the box the race surface had some fairly large pits in it. I only discovered this because I do repack every race weekend. Maybe the issue isn't limited to ball tolerence but the race material. Personally I am not concerned about the front hubs. If I had my choice for a redesign it would be on the rears. Granted they don't seem to have the problem of the fronts, but nor can I easily service and inspect them like the fronts.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users