MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

The X-Factor Team went to get some seat time at Road Atlanta before the upcoming NASA Nationals.  Team leader Chris Haldeman showed the way at the Friday test and tune and the team picked up the track quickly.  The test and tune was also great practice for the races to come as there was 70+ cars on the track with all classes running simultaneously.

NASA Texas usually has a SM only run group but SM shares the track with PT(x) classes as well as Honda Challenge and Thunder Roadster, a class that is non-existent in Texas.

Saturday’s qualifying in the mixed class went well as the fast Hondas and the Thunder Roadsters went out first leaving the track open for the teams qualifying efforts.  Q1 had ended in three hot laps with all the team feeling like they left time on the table.  Data review showed there was at least many more tenths or more to be had on the hot slippery track.

At the drivers meeting the many of the drivers found out their times were thrown out for drivers equipment infractions or sticker placement infractions.  This left many drivers fuming and several others concerned as they were going to be on grid in front of the fire breathing DQ recipients.  Then to compound the frustration  the race director throws another curve at the field announcing that Honda Challenge and Spec Miata would perform a standing start with the PT(x) and Thunder Roadsters to follow with rolling starts.

The race started uneventfully with everyone getting through clean without too much contact.  The SM pole sitter Ross was able to squeeze past several of the HC cars with Brian Wisler on his tale.  Haldeman got a great start from the back after the DQ for missing a patch on his driver’s suit. Haldeman was up to P3 by turn 1 with NASA Southeast regular Ben Rooke hot on his trail, but they could not slide by the HC cars by turn 3 and had to follow slower cars through the esses.   Ross lead the first lap with Wisler acting as the pusher on the back straight for a the first two laps when they ran up on the back marker of the Thunder Roadster group.  They were raced hard for a lap and half being balked at several turns allowing the rest of the SM field to catch them in turn 3.  Rooke got by Haldeman and Wisler as the bottle neck produced a failed attempt at a pass by Wisler.  Rooke fell in behind Ross and gave a push down the back straight still following the Thunder Roadster all the way to turn 1.  Ross passed on the outside and was able to get the Roadster to check up enough for Rooke and Haldeman to get through but Wisler, Agha and Rushing were not fortunate enough to get through.  They continued to battle to get by as Rooke, Ross and Haldeman continued to pull away.  Rooke and Haldeman battled through turn 10a and b with Rooke getting sideways and at the track out and Haldeman forced his way by at the top of the hill.  Ross built a good lead by working though traffic but Haldeman would not stop his pursuit.  Haldeman caught Ross with 2 to go and decided to push on the back straight waiting for the right time to pass as the race wound down.  Ross pulled away slightly going though to T7 and held Haldeman off again at 10 as they came up on a HC car that was off pace.  Forced to follow the HC car through turn 12 Ross defended inside and held the HC car out until turn in at 1 which luckily trapped Haldeman behind the HC going up to turn 3.  This gap was all Ross needed to mange his lead on the final lap and come home with his first win in the Spec Miata class.

It was very special because my father who loves racing as much as I do was with me this weekend and got to see me win.  We have been working at this for 4+ years and we finally got it done.  Thanks to X-Factor Racing for the power and setup.  I rolled off the trailer stuck to the track and nothing changed all weekend.  Thanks to my dad for being my sponsor, role model and friend.  Hope I can build on this weekend and put more W’s in the column in the future.

Ben Rooke, you couldn’t meet a nicer guy.  Really solid driver, made one mistake that I saw all weekend.  He got to see me use more track than most and I am sure he is still shaking his head.

Sunday had 2009 NASA National Champion Andy Rushing on the pole followed by Rooke, Ross, Wisler and Haldeman.  Qualifying didn't go nearly as smoothly and only Rushing got a clean lap and that was on less than perfect tires.  This time it was a rolling start and Rushing got to the lead at turn 1 followed by Ross, Wisler, Rooke and Haldeman.  Many more passes and repasses in this race with Haldeman and Rushing pulling away from the pack as they managed traffic and the others were fighting back and forth.  Haldeman and Rushing kept clean with a few laps to go and Haldeman was not to be denied this time and passed Rushing inside at 1 and never looked back.  Ross tried to pass Wisler several times but could not get past the X-Factor monster lurking beneath the hood of the 59..... until they caught a SM lapper.  As Wisler tried to get by in the esses but could not make it past he followed the 20 into turn five when the lapper had a "mechanical" mid turn and Wisler punted him into the kitty litter.  This allowed Ross to sneak past and get the last spot on the podium.  

• Johnny D, Joe (dad) Jordan, Ben Rooke and 2 others like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Congrats on the win Michael!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
It was my pleasure too be there and be second place at your first win!!! I knew I would be ever since our super school in the freezing rain and snow all the way back in December 2009. You have been 2nd too me far too many times and as most race winners know in this awesome class the stars need too align too get a win. I'm so glad they aligned for you and that dad was there too see the event unfold!!!! He was one proud papa as he should be!!! Top notch!!!!
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Car Number:22

Thanks Jim.

Chris, its been a blast. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75
Now you need to watch steyns videos so you can learn where to block him in August LOL!!
  • chris haldeman likes this
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Sounds like a great fathers day weekend Michael...congrats!

• MPR22 likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Congrats to TeamRoss. :thumbsup:

• MPR22 likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tferranti

tferranti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Number:51

Congrats Mike!  Heck of a place to get your first win!

• MPR22 likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Luke Bickham

Luke Bickham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Car Number:66

Congratulations Mike! I know you worked hard for it.

• MPR22 likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:15

Hey I got to start in 3rd for Saturday's race because of the silliness in tech post Q. By turn 3 I was back where I should have qualified. It was good to see some of the Texas Boys again. I do miss having our own run group, but all the big dogs run SCCA down here in the SE. This track is very frustrating for me, even if I get a good run up turn 1 and catch guys by turn 7, they just drive away from me down the back straight. I've run low 49's at this track but could barely run a 50 this weekend. Time to upgrade the powerplant. Congrats Ross and Rushing on your wins.

• MPR22 likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92

Congratulations guys!!!

Now get back to work, Chris.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ben Rooke

Ben Rooke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:Southeast
Congrats on the win Michael! Even though the Texas gang whipped my butt at my home track, I had fun running with you guys all weekend. It was great meeting you, Agha, Wisler, Rushing, and Haldeman. I always like running with guys who race hard but have fun doing it!
  • MPR22 likes this

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
Ben, it was not your fault!! We simple out motored you on the back straight. If you had some power you would be right there. 3-4 mph is huge at road Atlanta. :-)
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
And the key note in your post should really sink in. We raced each other hard and had a blast!!! Regardless of finishing position all had fun!!!!
  • MPR22 and Ben Rooke like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

Jason Moritz

Jason Moritz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Number:97

Ben, it was not your fault!! We simple out motored you on the back straight. If you had some power you would be right there. 3-4 mph is huge at road Atlanta. :-)

Ouch!!!! Out motored!!! Nice meeting you guys...see you in August.

Ben Rooke

Ben Rooke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
Haldeman is being gracious - I wish I had been out motored! That can always salve the drivers ego. :) I will say it's hard to beat the Texas 5 on 1 fast break... Y'all brought great stuff, but I got out-raced. However! We will meet again...

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Car Number:59
It's kinda like going to a dance stag. You end up standing by yourself and watching the others pair up.
  • Ben Rooke likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ben Rooke

Ben Rooke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts

It's kinda like going to a dance stag. You end up standing by yourself and watching the others pair up.

Ha! The badger speaketh correctly!

Ben Rooke

Ben Rooke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
And yes, Ross, I am still shaking my head at the many different types of surfaces you refer to as racetrack!!

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Car Number:59

And yes, Ross, I am still shaking my head at the many different types of surfaces you refer to as racetrack!!

Just wait till you meet Trevor... He never meet a surface he didn't like.
  • trimless likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-Factor Racing, NASA Southeast, Road Atlanta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users