Panic Motorsports

Panic Motorsports

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:079 SCR
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:90

Notice she never lifts....... That's our girl!

• ChaseH likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Aside from being a shame for the deer, and a bummer for the damage to the car...that is amazing driving to NOT react!  That could have been horrible!

(Reminds me of the Cristiano DaMatta incident at Road America in a Champ Car a few years ago.  Tragic.)

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Unfortunately, this is all too common an occurance at SP.  The first time I heard about it was from a friend driving an ITS RX7 circa 2003/2004. Left a hoof print on the hood, nothing serious.  He had tape footage to prove it too.

And who can forget this one:

http://jalopnik.com/...ttes-windshield

Sooner or later, someone is going to get killed at SP.  As the DaMatta accident showed, God help you if you're in an open cockpit car.

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:53
It was a bad weekend for livestock at SP. During the Sunday SSM race somebody hit a groundhog in the chute. Damn thing ended up on the line in T4 for a few laps. In case you are curious, the coefficient of friction for a groundhog corpse is squarely in the "sucks" category.
  • Keith Novak and RacerX like this
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

It's not all that uncommon unfortunately and it doesn't take a very big critter to do a lot of damage at speed.  I hit a couple robins a few years back at about 110 mph.  One took the Mazda emblem off my hood.  Another bent a tow hook down 45*, went through my radiator screen, and was embedded in the radiator.  My engine blew on the next lap and removing the oily bird guts and feathers from the entire engine compartment was unpleasant to say the least.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

And who can forget this one:

http://jalopnik.com/...ttes-windshield

Sooner or later, someone is going to get killed at SP.  As the DaMatta accident showed, God help you if you're in an open cockpit car.

Did this driver have the eye protection shield UP, as in no eye protection???

At Blackhawk Farm a few years ago an open wheel car driver and a turkey met head to head, results, not good for either.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

I know she handled this a whole lot better than I would have.  A great job of driving.  I'm told a very messy clean up was required.

Bench - In 2004 a shifter Kart driver was killed when he hit a deer at Summit Point.  Wildlife and racing are a bad combination.   

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Think Racing

Think Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:DC Region
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:23
I've been going to SP since the late 70s when my dad was racing there. I recently moved and miss it. The real test for how long you've been going to SP is if you can tell me why the top of the silo is gold?

Back in the 80s as a kid I remember seeing a rabbit hit in the braking zone at T5. It eventually became a greasy spot and to the earlier point, any car that hit it immediately spun ... The cars spun so much it was surreal and as a young kid at the time it was the funniest thing I'd seen.

I didn't realize the deer were so prevalent. Amazing video.

Fred McConnell
www.sunoco.com

Panic Motorsports

Panic Motorsports

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:079 SCR
  • Car Year:2001

Did this driver have the eye protection shield UP, as in no eye protection???

At Blackhawk Farm a few years ago an open wheel car driver and a turkey met head to head, results, not good for either.

Are you asking about the Corvette guy or our girl? Not sure on our girl, but she does wear sunglasses under her helmet, whether the visor is open or closed. Her radio call was interesting "I think I hit a deer"......car rolls out of T10 we all say Holy S**t, she sure did! Comes around next lap after viewing "her" carcass "Yep, I sure did" 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

The Corvette guy, he immediately moved his right hand to his eye port and it looked like his shield was up. We see lots of videos with shields up while racing and I always shake my head.

• DrDomm likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Hines

Rob Hines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I've been going to SP since the late 70s when my dad was racing there. I recently moved and miss it. The real test for how long you've been going to SP is if you can tell me why the top of the silo is gold?

IIRC, the silo was painted gold for an IMSA race there because Camel was the sponsor and their colors were gold and brown.

The record for the most disgusting wildlife encounter at summit goes to a friend who raced in FV.   A car ahead of him hit a gopher during a race between turns 4 and 5.   The gopher flew up in the air and landed in my friend's lap.  He threw it out of the car and continued, but what a mess.

Think Racing

Think Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:DC Region
  • Car Number:23
You are right Rob, but you probably have been around longer than me too. Camel GT. Like Winston, R.J. Reynolds would spend a lot of money painting the tracks where they raced. For a while the curbs were painted too. Sorry for the hijack. I guess I feel nostalgic given I'm 1500 miles away from my home track.
  • Mike Collins likes this

Fred McConnell
www.sunoco.com

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

We regularly see deer at Blackhawk, although they usually stay off the track. A friend of mine hit a deer with a Spec Racer a few years ago. Blood, Guts and bodily fluids everywhere including in the cockpit.

We also had an Ostrich get loose from a local exotic game farm. Ozzie really liked the area around turn 7 and eventually had to be captureed by the safety team and coralled in a garage.

Glad the driver was not hurt in this incedent.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20

Thread reminds me of the story of the introduction of a new Boeing aircraft.  In the meeting, with pilots, the presenter pointed out that the windscreen could withstand a goose strike at 250 knots.  Some wag in the back said, "ain't no goose can fly 250 knots"

• Bench Racer and RussMcB like this

steve

steve

CFO MEATHEAD Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:WDCR

It was a bad weekend for livestock at SP. During the Sunday SSM race somebody hit a groundhog in the chute. Damn thing ended up on the line in T4 for a few laps. In case you are curious, the coefficient of friction for a groundhog corpse is squarely in the "sucks" category.

That somebody was me.  I was begging it to stay on the side of the road, it wouldn't listen. 

STEVE

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:15

That somebody was me. I was begging it to stay on the side of the road, it wouldn't listen.

Think you can swing by the house. I have a groundhog problem. :)
  • Mike Collins likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users