Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

Starting at the fuel tank and moving forward through the evap/fuel system, I want to replace all the hoses in this car - but it seems like a number of the molded minor fuel/evap hoses are NLA from Mazda.  I haven't counted but it looks like all told there are probably a dozen such lengths of hose, on top of the tank, running down to the Crazy Expensive Charcoal Canister, around the breather setup behind the RR wheel, and fuel & air filters.  Are there any surprises to be found in replacing these with regular bulk high pressure fuel hose as required?

PS:  Around the breather, I found what I hope was a long abandoned spider nest with egg sacks and such that looked reminiscent of black widow nests I've seen before.  Didn't find any 8-legged residents, but if my posts abruptly stop, you'll know it wasn't really abandoned...  I guess spiders really do have a thing for Mazda gas lines...

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I went thru that system a couple of months ago but didn't replace anything, so I don't know the answer to your question.  I'd imagine you could replace the evaporative lines with anything.  Most people try to effectively "disconnect" that system, since it's only for emissions purposes.  I have a thread around here somewhere where Dave W. explains his technique.

PS: I found a spider nest in that breather also.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

Thanks Domm.  I have replaced all 4 filler pipe hoses, and looped the small ones as suggested, but the car still has a smidge of a fuel vapor smell.  I figure it may have already suffered from the evap-backwash issue and has gas in the canister (haven't taken it loose yet to see), or perhaps one or more of those hoses has 15-yr dry-rot issues, but in any case when I start touching things to install a new FP and AFPR, and given the presence of that spider nest the evap vent and evap air filter, I would want to replace all hoses.  Was just disappointed to find at least a couple of them NLA..

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58
Don't know why we aren't permitted to remove the rest of the emissions from our cars, since the Cat is already gone. There is no further performance boost to be gained. But, we'd eliminate a headache and an occassiol expense.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users