FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
After reading some of the posts on the board, I purchased the Innovate LC-1 kit which included the gauge, controller and the Bung to install the sensor in the exhaust. Two questions
1) My kit came with the extended bung, vs the standard bung. which one should I used. the extend bung shields most of the sensor from the tube.

2) where is the ideal location to install the sensor. I know it says on the top of the tube between 10 and 2 positions but how far from the cast iron header should I mount it?

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
I used the standard bung. Make sure the weld is solid with no pin holes. I placed the sensor about 1" below the OEM sensor in the downpipe. This is on a NA car. Works great.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

I used the standard bung. Make sure the weld is solid with no pin holes. I placed the sensor about 1" below the OEM sensor in the downpipe. This is on a NA car. Works great.

Did you mig weld or braze it.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
Mig with gas.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:5
Frank,

I really do not think it is that critical, both the bung and the location, but I would recommend following the manufacturers instructions. We mount ours in the downpipe in an area that is not hard to get to for removal, and will not stretch the wires from the sensor to the plug. This usually ends up at the two o'clock position when looking at the downpipe from the back of the car. The closer to the header the better, but I really don't think it will skew readings one way or another. Dyno shops just clamp on an O2 sensor to the tailpipes for afr readings, and that works good enough, so with that in mind it is not really something to fret over.

As far as the bung goes, I would use what came with the kit. The sensor just needs a sample of the exhaust, I wouldn't think having it directly in the flow would make a difference.

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
Thanks John, I called innovate they told me to use the long Bung. I guess it extends the life of the sensor and it is not necessary that it protrude in the tube. They told me to weld it so that the bung is flush with the inside of the pipe meaning at all of the bung is exposed on the outside but flush with the inside.

I ended up mounting it on the top of the tube just in front of the fill hole for the transmission. that was about the only place that was half way accessible and where it would fit. As you know there is not lots of room down there for things protruding 2 3 inches from the tube. I am going to mig it tonight and install the down tube.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
I was worried about my ability to mig weld a good bead since I just got this welder but i got it done. I ended up putting it on the top of the tube this will go between the transmission in the tunnel by the trans drain plug.

[attachment=414:Garage fun 050 (Medium).jpg]

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

5X Racing

5X Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:5
Nice work! Very clean looking install, should work great for you.

John Adamczyk
Owner/Driver - 5X Racing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users