ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

I'm installing a few gauges in the car and anticipating a few more additions down the road, like data acquisition and perhaps a race radio; probably 5-6 additional items when done. So I figure adding an auxiliary fuse panel would be smartest route. To bring 12v switched power to the panel, what is the best way to go about this? Just use the Cigarette line; combine a few free power lines such as: cigarette, radio, power windows (not sure this can be done); or run a fresh line from the engine bay panel? A ground strip might be a good idea too. Anybody, done this and have some suggestions/tips?

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

It's probably overkill, but I did 3 busbars in the area where the airbag used to be. 12V, ground and shared dimming circuit for the autometer gauges. I built it with enough slack that it could be worked on out of the airbag mount, and them pushed back in. With the airbag cover in aplce, none of it is visible:

1920242_10152842156622080_1863968137_n.j

1959472_10152857765472080_1496926675_n.j

1911616_10152857754782080_824148180_n.jp

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

FYI, the busbars are from Blue Sea Systems, intended for marine applications.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

Dang Jeff, that's a cleaner job than even I would do and I'm very much a "do it right" kind-of guy. I do like the idea of using the plate in the airbag space, I may consider doing mine that way. What did you use to pull 12v to the busbar?

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49

I used the power window circuit. Seems like it is 20 A or something, far more than needed.

In my blog somewhere.

AC

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Dang Jeff, that's a cleaner job than even I would do and I'm very much a "do it right" kind-of guy. I do like the idea of using the plate in the airbag space, I may consider doing mine that way. What did you use to pull 12v to the busbar?

I ran off a separate circuit fed from a http://www.rowe-elec...ics.com/modules
Right now that's providing protected circuits for my cool suit cooler and all of the aux equipment in the car.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

I happened to be getting a stereo installed in the tow vehicle when I was redoing the wiring in my car and the installer suggested using a 200A breaker mounted close to the battery.

From there it gets fed to a switch & relay to power a fuse-box which I then wire-in my accessories.

The installer noted that even with a fuse at the box there still exists a situation where you could overrun the box entirely and running the breaker prevents problems from flowing "back" into the car.

One item of note: I'm able to run mine like this safely because my power-cutoff severs the ground (as best as I can tell) instead of main+alternator positive voltage.

I can't claim it's as neat or clean as Jeff's but both of our installations will never cause us to miss a grid due to an electrical gremlin!

And Jeff - thanks for that link.  I think I'll be considering something similar for a future rewire and to move the connectors out from behind the radio panel.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

I don't have my wiring diagrams with me at the moment, but there are several switched circuits with fairly high fuse values available behind the dash.  As far as the gauges go, the reco was to have them individually fused, so I picked up a Marine ATC fuse block.from Blue Sea.

http://www.bluesea.c...Blocks/ST_Blade

I got the one with the negative bus, and I will be using fuses from 1A to 15A depending on the need.

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users