Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:9

We are in the process of installing a new seat, and while we are at it we need to raise the mounting point for the shoulder harness to get it within the proper spec.  The current mounting point is a couple of inches too low.  I am thinking of either adding an additional horizontal tube to the roll cage between the main hoop and the diagonal brace to gain the needed height.  Or adding a "guide" tube that would allow the harness to remain mounted to the existing horizontal tube, but guide the harness up and over an additional tube (smaller diameter tubing?)  that would be welded to the main hoop on the left side of the cage and then bend down 90 degrees and weld to the existing horizontal tube in the cage.  On the second idea, not sure about how this would hold up to the torque exerted on the "guide" in an impact.  Other ideas, comments,  or suggestions?

Thanks

Greg

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kevin B

Kevin B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:37

Greg,

The OPM guys just added a second horizontal tube to my last car and used that as the new mounting spot.  It's not the ideal location for extra weight, obviously, but unless you're in a 1.6 and it's significantly over minimum that shouldn't be an issue.  I'd say go that route and put it to bed.  I wouldn't want to introduce an x-factor into my safety gear since harness mounting instructions are all pretty clear on best practices installation.

• Bench Racer likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users