Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Watching NASCAR in the hotel room this weekend.

One of the Dillon boys switch from Fiber to Aluminum to get better feedback from the car.

I'm due for a new one.

Thoughts?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Watching NASCAR in the hotel room this weekend.

One of the Dillon boys switch from Fiber to Aluminum to get better feedback from the car.

I'm due for a new one.

Thoughts?

J~

Myself, I use a steel one. :duck:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

We're not going 180mph and our tires are about the same width as theirs...

Pick the safest seat that is comfortable for you that safely fits in your car over 'feel' 107% of the time.   $5 trophy's ain't worth anything other than that.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Myself, I use a steel one.  :duck:

Isn't this you back in the day.

And wasn't it stone ?

http://baldpunk.com/...ntstone-car.jpg

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

One of the Dillon boys switch from Fiber to Aluminum stones to get better feedback from the car.

J~

Now, I get it.   :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Now, I get it.   :bigsquaregrin:

Bigger/better stones always seem to help, but I think we're talking seats. :)

But anythings goes on my threads.

J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Bigger/better stones always seem to help, but I think we're talking seats. :)

But anythings goes on my threads.

J~

But-cha left yer opening post wide open.

Yup, we both play pretty well with each others posts.

I supose I should be careful messing with STAFF.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995

Carbon fiber is often chosen for it's flexibility and damping ability.  It's nice how it can isolate the user from impacts and vibrations.  Skis, bicycles, and golf clubs are good examples for providing a less jarring feel and less high speed "buzz" type vibration.  In a seat, that can make the seat both safer, and more comfortable.  If you want to feel all the vibrations in order to get a better feel for what the car is doing however, a rigid seat will help create a better load path to the driver.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I have a Racetech and it does flex. DD has pointed it out earlier in a video.

I've wonder if the flex was a factor on me missing a shift I've done a few times, being out of position of sorts, or just the nut behind the wheel.

J~

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

I run an aluminum seat and a well known instructor was watching my video and the first thing he said was "wow that seat doesn't move"..  I'm a big dude...the composite seats are WAY TOO FLEXIBLE for me.....

• Jim Drago likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

What Mike said.  I have a new Kirkey and love it. I think Mike has a butler built. I would not trade for a composite seat.  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Butlers custom? How much?

Kirkey, what model ?

Never expire?

Running the back brace?

J~

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:27

Butler has an off the shelve full containment seat called the EZ Seat for about $699.00 that is pretty nice and fits well.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

My Butler Built was made to measure for me AND THE CAR....  I had all the pre-fab done for the tub, trans tunnel section and gutted doors and the cage builder mocked up the cage bases but only tacked them in...then I sent the car to Butler Built.  Brian Butler personally fit me and the seat in the car.  The seat was literally built around me where and how I wanted to sit in the car and all consideration was given to making the entry and exit easy.  Butler Built has a great product and they understand how a seat fits in a Miata.  The cage builder (Piper Motorsport) ultimately built the cage around the seat and me.  Its perfect...

In full disclosure Brian and my dad went to High School together and I've known him my entire life....  I have 4 Uncles and my parents have no brothers.....so my experience may be different than others ;)

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

I have a Racetech and it does flex. DD has pointed it out earlier in a video.
I've wonder if the flex was a factor on me missing a shift I've done a few times, being out of position of sorts, or just the nut behind the wheel.
J~

Which Racetech? I'm running the 4119, which is designed with back support anchors. It's a full containment seat and doesn't flex. My old Sparco did flex a bit.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

4009HR.

Tell me some good news :prayer:

J~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users