• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Kevin Coulter

Kevin Coulter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Region:Chicago

The path to the Beach starts at the Lake!

The 2014 runoffs may not be here yet, but the path to the 2015 Runoffs at Daytona begins soon at Elkhart Lake's Road America, September 20-21, 2014, with our traditional double event. Each of the 6 race groups receives a 25 minute qualifying, and 48 mile race per day.

There are no other club racing events in the country that weekend, so why not join us?  Not going to the 2014 Runoffs at MRLS? Come to the place where the last 5 Runoffs have been, and let's have a party!

And don't forget, we do not charge your credit card until AFTER the close of on line registration. So there is no reason to delay entering.... go ahead, and sign up today at http://msreg.us/kettle2014.

Kevin

• Tyson Schwiesow likes this

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Hmmm...why is it a qualifier for 2015 Runoffs?  I get that it's really close to the 2014 Runoffs.  Just seems odd.  Are there any other qualifiers for the 2015 Runoffs this year?

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Presume because the qualification events for 2014 Runoffs are complete the qualification events for 2015 SCCA Runoffs begin.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mvzante

mvzante

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Region:DMVR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:44

Bench - I'm planning on going along with a group from Des Moines, IA area.  Will we being seeing you again?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Matt, I decided back when I had the  Spec RX7 I didn't care for Road America. Contrary to some others, I guess I'm not a destination kind of track guy. See you at the Farm mid October double???

Have Fun :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mvzante

mvzante

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Matt, I decided back when I had the  Spec RX7 I didn't care for Road America. Contrary to some others, I guess I'm not a destination kind of track guy. See you at the Farm mid October double???

Have Fun :bigsquaregrin:

Thanks!  Different strokes for different folks as someone says...I've never been so got to at least give it a try once.

I'm guessing RA will be my last race of the year unless I can beg and plead with my wife to convince her otherwise, and I see a .0001% chance of that happening  :prayer:

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Kevin or one of the official SCCA people can chime in, but:

With the change to Regionals/Divisionals counting towards the Runoffs, a Champion had to be announced when Runoffs entries where still being accepted. The 2014 Cen-Div season ends next week at Brainerd. The 2015 season starts at Road America and will end in Sept 2015. Kinda like football, or hockey, or Basketball.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Car Number:72

I don't often agree with Dewey, but I am not a fan of Road America either.

Dave

• Dave Cox likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Dave and Dave, you're not looking at this the right way.  Racing at Road America is a choice.  What would you rather do? 

Road America or sit at US Cellular park and watch the Chicago White Sox lose 15-0  (I did)

Road America or clean out the basement  (I did that too)

Road America or shop with your wife for furniture (I'm still trying to avoid this)

I'm going to Road America.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Dave and Dave, you're not looking at this the right way.  Racing at Road America is a choice.  What would you rather do? 

Road America or sit at US Cellular park and watch the Chicago White Sox lose 15-0  (I did)
Road America or clean out the basement  (I did that too)
Road America or shop with your wife for furniture (I'm still trying to avoid this)

I'm going to Road America.

Since meeting your wife, I'd happly say, Sweetie how about this weekend early Sat. morning I'll clean the basement, then we'll do lunch at that cute litle soup and salad shop you so enjoy and Sat. afternoon we'll do the furniture shoping you've been longing to do and Sunday after church we'll go watch the Brewers beat the crap out of your Cubs. After the weekend is complete I'd ask if it would be all right if I went to the Farm the next weekend when she and girl friends were having a girls weekend out of town. Matt, send your wife on the girls weekend with Tom's wife, then you could come play at the Farm.  :rotfl:

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

You are all nuts :)  

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Kevin Coulter

Kevin Coulter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

The Runoffs eligibility year ends 3 weeks prior to the start of the Runoffs (GCR 3.7.3.A.2.c page 30 of August GCR). So in this year's case, the weekend of Sept 13-14 was the last weekend that counts for 2014. In CenDiv, this means that this weekend's event at Brainerd is the end for CenDiv competitors (so if you haven't registered, go do it now while you are thinking of it).

In CenDiv, there are two events for 2015 between now and the snow flying--Kettle at RA, and Fall Sprints at Blackhawk Farms in October.  For those from other divisions, please check the divisional rules and master schedule to determine eligibility.

In calendar year 2015, I believe the Runoffs are a week earlier, so that back's the end of 2015 runoffs qualifications up a week.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

Thank you, Kevin.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mvzante

mvzante

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Matt, send your wife on the girls weekend with Tom's wife, then you could come play at the Farm.  :rotfl:

I got an "are you crazy  :crazy: " and a big fat "no  :no: "       :lol:

So hopefully we'll see you at the Farm at a 2015 race... :cheers:

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

You are all nuts :)

This is the most hits one of Kevin's post has had.

Matt, see you and crew in the spring of 2015 at the Farm.

• Kevin Coulter and mvzante like this

forestdweller37

forestdweller37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Des Moines Valley
  • Car Year:1994

Two weeks out and only 39/37 entries sat/sun???

:-(

i hope there's a late rush coming.

Kevin Coulter

Kevin Coulter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

One of the "curses" of on line registration is the tendency to wait until the last minute for registrations.  We don't hit the credit card until the event, so its not a financial outlay that's holding people back. This is an issue affecting regions across the country, and has led to cancelled events..... either because competitors on the fence said "I'm not coming if only 50 cars are coming" (well, if 50 people think that..), or people thinking they could wait until the very last minute (and decisions being made a few days before the close of online to pull the plug).

Keep in mind, this has other impact besides go/no go on the event. For those like the Kettle where we are feeding all participants dinner, things like catering deadlines are well before the event weekend.

It's kinda like when you get a bill at home, some people choose to pay right away to get it out of the way (and after you do the first month that way, its no longer a cash flow because its consistent) vs those waiting until the due date.

Any ideas on ways to encourage earlier registrations of competitors that are pretty sure they are attending (realizing we will get cancels because of things that come up) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

PS my gut/hope is the event is 125-150 cars.

PPS David, you are right!

luckymiata76

luckymiata76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Car Number:76

Any ideas on ways to encourage earlier registrations of competitors that are pretty sure they are attending (realizing we will get cancels because of things that come up) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

PS my gut/hope is the event is 125-150 cars.

PPS David, you are right!

I think all the regions in CENDIV/GLDIV should agree on a STANDARD late fee date. That way every driver is "used to" the practice. I agree, it is very hard for regions to plan meals and trophies when racers wait until the last day or two to register. I think 7-10 days is very fair. Late fees could also be standardized($25?).Most of the racers know exactly what races they are going to months ahead of time.

These are my opinions as a racer and race organizer.

Jeff Luckritz

#76 SM

SBR RE

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Huston,something is really wrong within the SCCA. Checkout these entry numbers 2 weeks ahead of the event at Road America.

http://www.motorspor...8E4F9F2683BA79B

A double event, 41 Sat., 43 Sun.  Not one production car.   I understand when the Runoffs are and that would be an excuse of the real issue why no productioncars. Not all Majors and Divisional drivers are going to the Runoffs. 

mvzante

mvzante

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

I think 7-10 days is very fair. Late fees could also be standardized($25?).Most of the racers know exactly what races they are going to months ahead of time.

I was thinking the same thing.  Is there a reason registration goes all the way up until a few days before the event?  

Have registration end 10 days before the event and if you forget and need to register inside those 10 days then have a late penalty.  Also don't charge cards until the day of the event and allow people to withdraw registration up to 2 days before the event without penalty; not ideal but allows for some lenience if an emergency comes up for a competitor.  

Communicate whatever is decided at the beginning of the year and throughout the year until it is drilled in to peoples heads.  If we want to race and have successful events registering early is the least we as racers can do to contribute.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users