- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

jeopardyracing

jeopardyracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Try this: Test the iRacing Legends oval car at Summit Point, but have it set up for the road course (load that setup in the "Garage"). Fantastic practice controlling on and off throttle oversteer.

Rich Hoyer
SSM #47 WDCR SCCA

SM #45 NASA Mid Atlantic Region

Elliott Skeer

Elliott Skeer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Nor/So Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:17
Even better is The week 13 Gymkhana Challenge in the MX-5, Its like a kart track in a Miata. Also the V8 supercar will teach some SERIOUS car control.
"Punk Ass Kid" -Track HQ's top SM contributor.
Working to call myself a GT driver.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Another useful approach that I take is: when I wreck during a private test session...I continue to drive the wrecked car. I find that when I slide in an undamaged car that its more about being predictable. So, I don't get as much out of it as I "could"...at least for learning to react to surprises. But, when I try and drive a wrecked car, I don't know what it is going to do...so, I've got to learn to react to it quickly and precisely. Its about exposure to as many different circumstances as possible, and turning them into instinctive behaviors.

Actually, one of my most educational sessions was a race where I wrecked on lap one. I completely fubar'd the RF corner. I drove the rest of the race with the wrecked car, 1 lap down. BY the end of the race, I was turning decent lap times and managed to not get lapped. It was a handful and a half, but the next practice session was like night and day...and I set a new PR at that track.

Some tracks are really good for it to. I think the center section of Mid-Ohio helps a lot. All those apexes over the rise....you've got to be ready to turn into the slide, and know by how much based on what your eyes tell your hands.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users