- - - - - runoffs tech concerns

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

mazdaracefan

mazdaracefan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If REM Polishing is out there in Spec Miata it needs to be stopped.  It’s an obvious cheat and is easily protestable.  I have bought many used racing parts (not Spec Miata) on EBay that have been REM polished and it is a VERY obvious modification.

SPEC MIATA RULES - GCR 9.1.7 page 657

C. AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS 

The following items represent the only modifications and safety items permitted and/or required on Spec Miata automobiles other than safety items as required in Section 9.

Neither alterations to the finish nor deburring is listed as an allowed modification.

C. AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS continued – GCR page 657

“Assembly, rebuild, and refurbishment procedures, and all associated dimensions must adhere to the published factory service procedures, except as otherwise stated in these rules”.

Neither modification to the finish nor deburring is a part of the “refurbishing procedures” in the factory service manual.

C. AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS, continued – GCR page 658

“If the factory manual or these rules provide only a partial specification or no specification at all, the Mazda parts may not be modified beyond what is allowed in these rules”.

Neither modification to the finish nor deburring is listed as an allowed modification.

C. AUTHORIZED MODIFICATIONS, continued – GCR page 658

“Compliance of such parts will be determined by comparison to new parts delivered by Mazda. Other approved parts with only a partial specification or no specification available in these rules may not be modified. Compliance of such parts will be determined by comparison to new parts from the supplier”

The phrase “comparison to new parts” in this rule is not limited to measurements made with tools.   The phrase “comparison to new parts” doesn’t require the tech inspector to determine the procedure used to modify the part, or to what degree the part is modified.  

Polishing surfaces and deburring is not a listed or allowed modification in these rules or the factory service manual.

REM polishing is extremely expensive, a competitive advantage and illegal in SM.  I hope the tech inspectors know what they are looking for in transmissions and differentials at the Runoffs.  Young racers trying to use SM as a stepping stone to a career in professional racing have to be content running at a disadvantage or taking a chance using illegal modifications that could jeopardize their career.  It may take a protest to bring it down. 

geara.jpg

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

What's your points?  REM is old news.  Are you accusing anyone in particular?

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
He isn't accusing any of the young kids. Hmmm nice post racing dad! And I might add very bold not signing your name to it!
  • Joe (dad) Jordan likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

Kind of comes across as a "back-door" advertisement to the unscrupulous. "Don't do this, but remember we're here for you".

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Kind of comes across as a "back-door" advertisement to the unscrupulous. "Don't do this, but remember we're here for you".

I think you are right otherwise they would have signed there post. How else could you advertize to all the people who do not plan on going to the runoffs.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

He isn't accusing any of the young kids. Hmmm nice post racing dad! And I might add very bold not signing your name to it!

I'm a racing dad(kind of!)...I'll sign my name to it  :D I actually think Dewhurst  has found another computer and email to use :yep:

When this can be or is teched and someone is DQ'd...It will change things.

• tripplej93 likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

a ring & pinion with 200K miles on it looks pretty shiny...  Just sayn'

• Kyle Keenan likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
And is faster than a new rem'd part :-)
  • Ron Alan and tripplej93 like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Dewhurst has been involved in these REM conversations. Use the search function for all the BS that's all ready been spewed.

Point 1, per all you folks, no one in Spec Miata cheats so why would anyone want a trans or diff checked. BUT, if you require someone at the Runoffs tech to inspect the gears for REM after there out of the trans and or diff. I'd be happy to do the job.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

a ring & pinion with 200K miles on it looks pretty shiny...  Just sayn'

Correct, but it only looks shiny where it contacts the other gear. REM'ed gears are shiny all over.

I have seen REM'ed gears in both gear boxes and diffs. IIRC transmissions where partially disassembled a few years back at The Runoffs. I think it was the year Meathead was in charge.

Dave

• Mike Collins and john mueller like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

Were they DQ'd?

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I have seen REMed units in the shop. IIRC the units inspected at Road America where compliant (not REMed)

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Old news

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

Got it Dave, Thanks for clarifying.

I'm not sure how old is relevant to the conversation, Pat.

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mazdaracefan

mazdaracefan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Old news

I'm going to make it new news at the Runoffs... Top 10 will be protested!  

• bizarro likes this

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
Get ready too loose all your protest money. Rem can not be proven. Get with the times. Rem is totally 2006
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Not that I disagree with you Chris...but I have held REM parts in my hands and the feel completely different as well as look different. Once they go in to service and heat and normal lubrication is applied...do they go back to looking and feeling oem again? 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
They maintain there appearance. I do not use rem parts or sell them. I just know unless proof is availiable a dq's will likely not happen.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

With two parts in hand per post #1 this thread and a microscope, BUSTED.

"Compliance of such parts will be determined by comparison to new parts delivered by Mazda."

Is anyone selling trans/diff gears with a gazillion rotations on them?  Shouldn't be hard to process.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it must be a duck....  Until the SoM look at through coke bottle lenses and declare it a dove.....  ;)

• chris haldeman and MPR22 like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users