- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Tao

Tao

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

I had some machine work done after losing water and over heating the engine......put it all back together....run great, oil going to the oil filter but no oil pressure and no oil to the cams........took the oil pump off with the engine in the car by dropping

the sub-frame (what a pain in the a$$----next time I will just yank the motor out again).........

the plunger was indeed stuck so I figured this is the culprit........all the tolerances were great so I cleaned it up and lubed it up, primed the pump with petrolium jelly........

put it all back together........some thing--still no oil pressure.

any ideas gentlemen?   thanks in advance

I forgot to mention I have a manual oil pressure guage that worked fine before and it not blocked or restricted.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tripplej93

tripplej93

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:California

Do you read Oil Pressure from the stock position or somewhere else?   What oil filter are you using?   How are you sure it is getting to the filter?   Getting to the filter and not out could only be the wrong filter with a check valve the wrong way.   Have never seen on a Miata but .........  

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Is the pick up tube properly bolted. If it is finger tight it won't pick up. Know you say your getting oil to the filter but this has happened before and the result is no oil pressure. Won't tell you how I know.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Car Year:1990

"the plunger was indeed stuck so I figured this is the culprit"

what was your course of action to fix this???

I know what you mean on it being a pain,  I took a couple of weeks debating,  but I ended up just yanking the motor and trans.

Its a PITA,  but that's how it goes.  I put the car back together in FEB,  and March at my first track event the pump failed on the trailer on the way home. 

when mine did exactly the same thing, the inside of the bore in the oil pump housing was TOAST!.

the plunger was galled into the housing, it took beating it out.   if you just took out the plunger and put it back in thinking it will be unstuck now, I'm guessing its stuck again.  They give tolerances for the pump portion,  but by far the housing and plunger bore are what causes pump failure.  

new pump time

Tao

Tao

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

thanks guys.....

the plunger was stuck and had to be forced out (from the top) with moderate force..........I inspected it, cleaned it and lubed it up with lucas oil....reassembled

and functioned fine .. as in free movement up and down easily.

I use a fram oil filter the same brand I've been using for a long time and changed it a couple of time thru this ordeal.

?

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

thanks guys.....

the plunger was stuck and had to be forced out (from the top) with moderate force..........I inspected it, cleaned it and lubed it up with lucas oil....reassembled

and functioned fine .. as in free movement up and down easily.

I use a fram oil filter the same brand I've been using for a long time and changed it a couple of time thru this ordeal.

?

99% sure the plunger is stuck again.  The bore for the plunger needs to be lightly honed to make sure the plunger moves freely and does not get stuck.  Very common problem with these oil pumps.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tao

Tao

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

thanks mpr22,

and thank you brian......I had read your posting a few months back regarding the same issue....I was hoping I had the problem fixed...

oh well...time to yank the engine again and will be ordering a new oil pump this time... : )

I will report back what I do find when I yank it out

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Car Year:1990

that was my lesson learned,  

when yanking a 1.6 motor if the pump is not known to be fairly fresh, then the $260 ish that a new one costs from mazdaspeed is well worth not having to go back!

and fram filters are not very well liked around here, or many other places,  might do a little searching on that

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:01 ITA

Ditch the fram and get a napa gold(same as wix)

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

Tao

Tao

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts

absolutely right......$260 is a small price to pay considering this situation.....lesson well learned!

interesting about the filter, I just figured fram was a good one...thanks for the heads up.

Brian; I decided to pull the pump from the bottom again instead of yanking the engine....the second time is going much smoother.

cheers

rctangi

rctangi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:AR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:99

If the head gasket is installed backward.(flipped over end to end) an oil passage gets blocked. Then no oil on the cams

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

If the head gasket is installed backward.(flipped over end to end) an oil passage gets blocked. Then no oil on the cams

First thing I thought when he said "the cams aren't getting oiled" - I lost a very good motor exactly this way, the builder installed the HG 180* out.  There is only one port for oil to reach the head, and it's blocked in this configuration.  Everything else works OK.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Ditch the fram and get a napa gold(same as wix)

In fact, get you the 12-pack of NAPA gold filters.  There's a particular term they have for this packaging but it essentially makes each filter right around $3.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users