Andrew Warren

Andrew Warren

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:51
Several cars I've seen have had this super thick and tough glossy primer on them. I was just curious as to what type of paint is used?

I currently have a super thin rhino lining on my interior which is tough, light enough, and doesn't reflect light but the fact that it's black just makes it SO hot in my car I doubt I'll use it again.

Here's what I have - sorry for the low quality I only had my phone for pics when I was building my new car:
Posted Image
Andrew Warren #51 SM NNJR Build Blog From Start 2 Finish
Posted Image

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
DaveW recommends a quart of Rustoleum (gloss white) brush-on, then top coat while still wet with Rustoleum spray (same color). Looks nice, and similar to what you describe.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
I plan on using some POR 15 on the floors since there is some surface rust there that I will wire wheel off. That stuff is awesome. On the rest of the less trafficked areas, I plan on using regular brush on Rustoleum.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
One bummer about Rustoleum is that it doesn't tolerate some auto fluids, for example brake fluid. It's cheap, the colors between batches match well, it's easy to work with and I use it quite a bit though on the car I usually use a cheap single stage acrylic. I buy Rustoleum in quart or gallon and thin it with mineral spirits and use an HVLP gun. Better finish than brushing and way cheaper than spray cans. Though if I'm too lazy to clean the gun and the job is small I'll go get a can. ;)

The POR 15 is a great idea though it's not cheap. My donor is a Kansas car and rustier than I thought at inspection. Once the interior came out it was obvious that the top had been damaged for years. I just ordered another couple of 10 amp angle grinders. I had three, one just died, one is about to die. I like to have knotted wire, grinder and flap or cut off wheel handy without changing. The floor isn't structurally compromised so I think I can get most of it off with some work. If it's too bad I can do it with a quart of POR 15.

for you guys concerned with weight, I take both the interior and the body down to the metal and reapply, no primer. It's a race car. It's going to get bent up before it rusts out. ;)

Dave

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:19
I used rustoleum hammered that I had to brush on. It was def worth it. It gives it a tough finish and texture.
  • Paul Capel likes this
How do I fit this Ls7 into my mia.... nevermind

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1996

I used rustoleum hammered that I had to brush on. It was def worth it. It gives it a tough finish and texture.

I am in the middle of painting my interior now. I am using Krylon Gloss grey off a recomendation by Planet Miata. There were some of the pics they sent me of a interior with the gloss grey.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
-- Jay --
96 Spec Miata - Build in progress
North East SCCA

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

I plan on using some POR 15 on the floors since there is some surface rust there that I will wire wheel off. That stuff is awesome. On the rest of the less trafficked areas, I plan on using regular brush on Rustoleum.

FYI, POR-15 is not UV resistant and would thus need a top coat of another paint.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Andrew Warren

Andrew Warren

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

I am in the middle of painting my interior now. I am using Krylon Gloss grey off a recomendation by Planet Miata. There were some of the pics they sent me of a interior with the gloss grey.

jay those pics pretty sum up what i'm looking for. that interior looks clean as heck too. hopefully mine will look like that soon.
Posted Image

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

jay those pics pretty sum up what i'm looking for. that interior looks clean as heck too. hopefully mine will look like that soon.

Andrew, the paint is Krylon Gloss grey and can be picked up at Lowes or the depot for like 2-3 bucks a can. You need 8 or so cans to do engine bay, interior, and trunk. I'll put some pics of mine up once its done. Finishing off masking it in the next day or two and will have it painted by the weekend.
-- Jay --
North East SCCA

Andrew Warren

Andrew Warren

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Andrew, the paint is Krylon Gloss grey and can be picked up at Lowes or the depot for like 2-3 bucks a can. You need 8 or so cans to do engine bay, interior, and trunk. I'll put some pics of mine up once its done. Finishing off masking it in the next day or two and will have it painted by the weekend.

in the spirit of the new forum - blog it! i can't wait to see how it ends up. I think i may do the same when it begins to warm up.
Posted Image

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

in the spirit of the new forum - blog it! i can't wait to see how it ends up. I think i may do the same when it begins to warm up.

Totally agree....blog it! I, also, like the gunship grey...I was planning on bright-white. May have to rethink that.....

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Yea I noticed that new feature. I'll go through all my pictures so far and work on putting something together.
-- Jay --
North East SCCA

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Yea I noticed that new feature. I'll go through all my pictures so far and work on putting something together.

Ok guys, added a blog with what i've got soo far. Pics are all from my iPhone so they may not all be the best but check it out.
-- Jay --
North East SCCA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users