Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I'm curious what different methods people use for taking notes: Pen/paper notebooks, spreadsheets, databases, custom software, off-the-shelf software, etc? 

Second, what kinds of things do you keep notes on?  Setup, tracks, results, lap times, parts maintenance, inventory tracking, etc.

Finally, how do you use those notes?  Do you cross reference them, do you just keep a chronological log,

• RacerX likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TrailBrake

TrailBrake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

For folks who use AiM or MoTeC products, there is a website www.racecartracking.com that will take your data files and allow you to do very easily track maintenance items and part changes. It completely removes the needs for a spreadsheet to do it. No connection, just a happy user.

Bob Knox has the Stars software that can do a lot of setup recording and there are a couple of others. There are some online systems, but they are really designed for circle track guys. After that, everything I know of on the computer gets really expensive. Many top level teams have written their own software to handle all of this.

Matt Romanowski

www.TrailBrake.net

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:13

I keep a notebook that has several different methods of recording information. Before a weekend, I write out a game plan and rough schedule in the notebook to help keep me focused and remind me what I need to be working on. I have printouts that I fill out after every session that lets me download what the car was doing and what I was doing. I believe Ross Bently has some great templates you can use for this on his speedsecrets website.

The one that I like the most has a track map and breaks up every corner into braking, entry, mid, and exit and has you rate how close you were to the limit from 1-10. This is awesome because it helps focus on each area and then moves a lot of information from short term to long term memory. I file these in the notebook and review them a few weeks before the next time I visit that track.

As for the car, I write down my original setup measurements in my shop, then at my paddock space at the track to use as a reference if something gets knocked out of alignment. I then keep track of tire temps before and after, swaybar settings, etc and then fill out a "whats the car doing" form. This helps me key in on areas of the car and any adjustments that can be made to improve the setup. 

Whatever method you use, I found that just having the discipline to get the information out of your head and onto paper asap will greatly increase your awareness of what is going on with the car and you.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Thanks Diller. I looked on the speed secrets site, but didn't find anything.

Edited for typo that was bugging me. 

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Those that have been in the OPM trailer will have seen my  3-ring binders with notes from every session run, including test and qualifying sessions.

Early on I used to add notes to the Traqmate data file - it was easy but I find this too sterile. When I go to my paper notes, and look at the page, I find that not only are my notes more relevant, but I can remember actually writing them and sometimes what was happeing in that session, sometimes several years back. I find my handwritten notes way more valuable.

I start with a variation of Todd Lambs setup sheet that I converted to my own preference. We roll the car off the trailer with all the setup data written down. corner weights, camber, caster, ride height, cross % etc. Every session, as I get out of the car, I write down what I felt in the car, where it was happening, what i was doing to drive around it etc. That has amounted to x 3" thick 3-ring binders full of notes. And I never discard any!!!

Not only do I note down setup issues, I also write down the mistakes I made driving, especially with strategy. Strategic mistakes are costly and should only be made once, so accumulating a wealth of bad strategic moves has definitely made a huge improvement to my consistency. Every page is named with the same file name as the Traqmate Date File and the Session Video File, so they are easy to correlate. Noting worse that going through your VALUABLE notes and not being able to see the data and video session pertaining to those notes

Fortunately with  Fowler in my camp, a setup genius if there ever was one, it doesn't take much feedback to make the necessary adjustments and get the car better each session. There have only been a few times that Tom and I have been at odds about what to do to get it the way I wanted, and on those occasions he relented and did what I wanted and in most cases it made the difference I was looking for. But 99% of the time Tom just quietly makes the adjustment and the lap times just start tumbling.

Nowadays, with so many sessions at so many tracks, our notes are so comprehensive that we seldom roll off the trailer with a setup that isn't pretty close. Just minor adjustments these days to get it in the sweet spot. Now, what works for me and my driving style most definitely doesn't work for everyone under our trailer. Some of our driving styles are VERY different.

• Tom Hampton, Andy L and Lee Thomas like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Thanks, Danny.  I was hoping you would chime in.  You've spoken about your note-taking before.  So, I was aware that you have a fairly evolved (yet, primitive by its handwritten nature) process. 

I'm the same way with typed vs. handwritten notes.  After 20 years engineering, I still carry a paper-notebook around, rather than a laptop/tablet/etc for taking notes.  I definintely feel more connected to the words on the page when they are in my own handwritting vs. typed.  I've tried to others, and it just doesn't feel write.  Plus its easy to sketch, doodle, etc in the margins or on the back of a page. 

Do you try and organize or cross-reference your handwritten notes in any particular way? Chronological?  By track?  By category? 

Do you use any particular process/form/checklist to stimulate or shape the thoughts as you begin your debrief (like the Ross Bently "Driver Debrief" referenced above)? Or are you just writing on regular lined/gridded paper?

How much review do you do before an event at a track (even today)? How much post-analysis do you do after an event? 

-tch

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Thanks, Danny.  I was hoping you would chime in.  You've spoken about your note-taking before.  So, I was aware that you have a fairly evolved (yet, primitive by its handwritten nature) process. 

I'm the same way with typed vs. handwritten notes.  After 20 years engineering, I still carry a paper-notebook around, rather than a laptop/tablet/etc for taking notes.  I definintely feel more connected to the words on the page when they are in my own handwritting vs. typed.  I've tried to others, and it just doesn't feel write.  Plus its easy to sketch, doodle, etc in the margins or on the back of a page. 

Do you try and organize or cross-reference your handwritten notes in any particular way? Chronological?  By track?  By category? 

Do you use any particular process/form/checklist to stimulate or shape the thoughts as you begin your debrief (like the Ross Bently "Driver Debrief" referenced above)? Or are you just writing on regular lined/gridded paper?

How much review do you do before an event at a track (even today)? How much post-analysis do you do after an event? 

Tom

My track data and video are stored on a 2TB USB portable drive which I backup at Home every race weekend. They are stored by event in chronological order. Data files and video files are named the same to make cross referencing easier. 

My naming protocol is simple  20141204 Sebring Turkey Trot SARRC - 99 2HC - Q1 PB.tqm. This indicates

• Date = December 4th 2014 
  • Track = Sebring
  • SARRC = SCCA so I know that tires are Hoosier SM7
  • 99 = the car I ran, 02 at other times
  • 2HC = 2 heat cycle tires
  • Q1 = qualifying session 1, other abbreviations are T1, P1, R1 etc for Test session 1, Practice session 1, or Race 1
  • PB = personal best - other abbreviations I use are LR = Lap Record; PBBD = personal best with a bump or draft or both; BSU = best setup I have ever had; and WET for rainy days
  • The reason for the long file names is to make it simple to search for specific stuff in preparation for an upcoming event. How to Qualify; Remind me what is the best rain line; How to defend on the last lap, etc.

My written notes are filed in several 3-ring binders, ordered by track, with my newest notes first. They build on my previous notes. I have a detailed track map as well as several blank track maps printed to make notes on during the weekend. I have a standard setup sheet that I will locate and link to in this thread, along with my typical track map

I then write freehand notes about every session

• what I felt
  • what I did to drive around the issue
  • what I think we should do to improve the setup
  • What we ACTUALLY did to the car

Then on the next session I write whether the changes improved the car or not, and how

Then after the race weekend, flying back home, my wife sleeps and I watch my video and make my postmortem notes

• During the following week I re-watch the video and study the data and add to my notes
  • I then update my track map based on what I learned 
  • And most importantly I write my two MOST IMPORTANT NOTES
  • Qualifying - what I can do better strategy wise at this track to improve my qualifying
  • Race - what I should do better the next race at this track - And some of you who have read my notes know that some of the stuff I write is very obvious, and very BRUTAL. Like after losing to Todd Lamb at the June Sprints this year!!! - YOU F#$@KING IDIOT - WHAT WERE YOU THINKING. WHEN THEY RADIO IN THAT THERE HAS BEEN A CRASH AT T14 BEFORE THE START FINISH LINE, DEFEND, DEFEND, DEFEND. Like I said in my previous post, you should only make strategic errors ONCE, so I like to remind myself of just what an idiot I was. Hopefully it sinks in
  • I guess my post race analysis is typically 8 - 20 hours, depending on the track

Prior to the next race I watch my video, read my track notes, and watch other classes' YouTube videos. Sometimes there are racecraft events that unfold in other classes that teach very valuable lessons that can be employed in our race. I also like to put in several hours of iRacing - I dont race I just run through critical corners multiple time, trying different lines, different setups, tire pressures etc, to see what works. I am always measuring speed at a specific marker on the track sometime past the exit of the turn. I typically spend about 10-20 hours preparing for an event. I generally dislike TV and I am one of those guys that can watch data and video till midnight every night. 

And if the track has a 2-3 shift in it, I go to my 2-3 university. I have a street Miata parked outside, that serves one purpose, I take it out late at night and do hundreds of 2-3 shifts!!! I have seen so many races lost because of a missed 2-3 shift. Even hitting the gate for a millisecond can cost you a race. Ask Todd Buras about the Sebring Majors Race 2, 2013. A millisecond of missed shift allowed me to get past him and then later the race finished under yellow. Game over!

Hope this helps

• Tom Hampton, RacerX, Andy L and 3 others like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Danny, that's awesome. That's exactly what I was interested in. Thank you very much for taking the time to share (and being willing to do so).

-tch

Kevin B

Kevin B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:37

Danny, thank you for the insight into the vast amount of prep time, analysis, practice and the attention to detail that is required for you to be at the front.  I think that some folks newer to the sport incorrectly view the trappings and assume that $$$ is the short-cut or the predominant path that drivers can use to get there.  As an improving mid-packer, it's good to see that talent and hard work are also a large part of the equation.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Good stuff Danny.

I have some check lists to help protect myself against missing things. For example, I have documents on rain set-up (ITA car) and reminders to put stuff back to where they were. Regardless of the class, pre and post race checks lists can be helpful.

This year I've really started to dive into learning tire pressures and trying to come up with data sets. Ambient pressures, notes of the day's conditions, how the car was positioned according to the sun (mostly on one side of the car, overhead, overcast), cycles on the tire, and so forth. Eventually I'll become better at getting the right starting pressure for the situations.

Track notes for various conditions. I also bring several blank track map copies to take notes on.

John Neibit's (sp?) copy of a protest guide.

Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Hey Danny,

Just bumping you for the setup sheet link. I would love to see what you are using instead of recreating the wheel.

Thanks,

James

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Sorry about that

here is my setup sheet in Excel Spreadsheet form so you can customize it. Mine is a derivative of Lamb's

here it is in PDF format if that works better for you. Danny Steyn SM Setup Sheet

• RacerX and ECOBRAP like this

Danny

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

For the record, here is Todd's:

http://www.toddlamb..../SM_SETUPv3.pdf

A couple years back I made an excel version based on it.  In theory it also can act as a "database" of setups and do some basic queries.  I think this is either over or underdoing it, as its not much more than what handwritten notes will get you, and a lot less than a real database driven app could provide.   Whatever, it was a stab at doing "something".  

http://www.tomhampto...setup_sheet.xls

-tch

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

One of the things I forgot to mention in my note-taking write-up above, is that even though I write my notes by hand, and save them chronologically by track, I still create a typed Track Notes file for each track, that comprises everything new that I learn each session. The file gets amended each time I visit the track. So as you will see from my Road America Track Notes below, it is always an evolving document.

I guess that I have invested well over $50k in attending 5 June Sprints and 4 Runoffs events at Road America, so some will tell you that I am nuts sharing my notes, but who cares. The guys that are faster than me know this stuff already and maybe way more that I dont know. Some of the savvy guys might find issue with some of my notes. And some will laugh at the detail of my notes.

But this is what works for me, and I need to do this stuff. Wish it just came naturally but it doesnt. I have to work at it. Hopefully for some the notes might be very valuable and might help them get up to the front. Many will start reading and zone out after 10 seconds. But nothing would give me more pleasure than having 30 Spec Miata drivers qualify within one second at Road America (we had 15 drivers do this at the 2013 Runoffs). What I really love about this class is that its like motocross with a cage, and having 30+ drivers charging into a corner together is a total blast.

So this is what my track notes look like for each track.  Danny Steyn Road America Track Notes

• RacerX, Brian Ghidinelli, mellen and 2 others like this

Danny

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Danny, thank you again for sharing. I wanted to ask for an example, but it felt like that would be greedy.

Since you broke the seal first, I would be very interested in seeing an example of your hand written notes before they get distilled into the summary.

If that's a bridge to far I understand, but I had to ask.

-tch

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Danny,

I just want to say thank you for sharing this stuff.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RacerX

RacerX

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:51
...So this is what my track notes look like for each track....

Thanks for sharing, that was very generous. 

I don't think you need to worry about me, but with some inspired discipline I might be able to give my mid-pack buddies a more consistent run for their money. 

Rich

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12

Next time you hear someone bitching about that guy or girl who "must be cheating" or "just has a big motor"... think about Danny.  Someone, somewhere, is doing more than you.  It might be on the computer.  It might be in the garage.  It might be at the track.  But most of the time you get beat by people who are simply a better overall package.

Very generous of you to share Danny!

• Cnj and Diller like this
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ralph Dommes

Ralph Dommes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:Wash DC
  • Car Number:80

Prep and analysis is everything.  I have learned that over the years.  Granted, I am not a front runner, but I do keep pace and know analysis of your performance is critical to your enjoyment and success of the sport.  Document each and every track event.

Danny is one of the most conscientious, skilled and detailed technical drivers I have ever me in SM.  I've seen his trailer, software and technical sport commitment.  That's why he is up front. Heed his words and techniques, and it will benefit you.  I have.

We each have our methods for better or worst.  It all comes down to three basic things:  driver talent (w/mental preparedness), pre-race preparation and a well set up car.  That's it.

Happy new year to all!  See you track side next year.

Ralph

Ralph Dommes

www.ralfracing.com
Motorpsorts Apps

Club Racer - Car #80 The Red Baron

BSR FATT Instructor
PDX Instructor

Beer Instructor

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Just read this thread, and wish there were more like it on the site. Danny, Thank You for giving a glimpse to a lot of guys who want to improve. When you are dealing with a 10th of a second or less, you need all the prep you can get, both for the car and the driver.
Enjoyed comparing Rd America notes with my own, very few differences.....just a couple I learned from the Drago school of Rd America. Thanks again, really nice to read something educational for a change.
  • Danny Steyn likes this
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users