Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:29
Congrats again to Dillon! If you can beat Andrew, Danny, Todd, Alex, Elivan, Selin, and others 2 days in a row, you are making a statement! Cant wait to see video and here from the guys
  • Glenn and Jim Drago like this
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Congrats again to Dillon! If you can beat Andrew, Danny, Todd, Alex, Elivan, Selin, and others 2 days in a row, you are making a statement! Cant wait to see video and here from the guys

+1

Congrats to all

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I spoke to a few of the competitors post race. Alll seem pretty upset by the relative lack of tech post the Sebring majors race. I think the general consensus seems to be... OK, one weekend of scare the hell out of everyone and right back to normal? I don't think that is the case, but we will see. 

IMO, worst case scenario, the two cars that were found non compliant last week should have been pulled back apart this weekend to confirm compliance. Those who were running at the front this week that were not at last weeks race should have also been pulled apart, along with two additional randoms. If they want this cleaned up ( I still dont think it was that dirty to begin with). Free passes can't be passed out in week two IMO.

Jim

• Glenn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Yes - lots disappointed about the lack of tech.HOWEVER, the SM race was supposed to go out at 11:30 and only started at 1:20 so I suspect that might have had something to do with it. Also Bauer was not at Sebring. The car that refused tech last week was whistled again and found non-compliant. Not sure of the penalty. I believe that more than 12 cars were whistled over the course of the weekend, but not sure of the outcome. We also need to watch the restrictor plate removal process more closely, there might be some palming of plates / venturi's happening.

On a way more positive note, both SM races, with close to 70 competitors ran without any FCY for the duration of both races. In fact SM was the ONLY class to run without stoppages. Congrats to all SM drivers for putting on an excellent show.

Some classes never even made it through the first lap, and the were some pretty serious accidents. Our own Andrew Charbonneau hit a car full tilt at 80mph that made contact with the tire wall on the exit of T17 and bounced back into the Andrews path with nowhere to go. A red Solstice was completely rearranged after being punted into a wall

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10
I don't know how it was up front in the second race, . But the 20's and 30's positions had some terrible racing in the first couple laps. It is to be expected to be a little rough, however, there were a couple of drivers that could have gotten a lot of people hurt. From dive bombs, to running people off track, to even cutting corners. A driver even went on the inside of T16 on the RIGHT side of the apex rumble strips with all 4 tires and came back smacking another car side by side in front of me. It was ridiculous, a lot of body damage on cars from stupid moves. If you qualify 40th+ and try to get to 25th in one lap, not only is it dangerous but you will most likely fall back to right where you started over the duration of the race.

Will post video of the mid pack mayhem tomorrow hopefully

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Yes - lots disappointed about the lack of tech.HOWEVER, the SM race was supposed to go out at 11:30 and only started at 1:20 so I suspect that might have had something to do with it. Also Bauer was not at Sebring. The car that refused tech last week was whistled again and found non-compliant. Not sure of the penalty. I believe that more than 12 cars were whistled over the course of the weekend, but not sure of the outcome. We also need to watch the restrictor plate removal process more closely, there might be some palming of plates / venturi's happening.

On a way more positive note, both SM races, with close to 70 competitors ran without any FCY for the duration of both races. In fact SM was the ONLY class to run without stoppages. Congrats to all SM drivers for putting on an excellent show.

Some classes never even made it through the first lap, and the were some pretty serious accidents. Our own Andrew Charbonneau hit a car full tilt at 80mph that made contact with the tire wall on the exit of T17 and bounced back into the Andrews path with nowhere to go. A red Solstice was completely rearranged after being punted into a wall

It looked like an awesome race.. Craig and I were texting.. at one point the 99 gang caught back up and it was 7 cars around mid race within 1.1 seconds. Looked like a real pressure cooker. Sorry to hear about Andrew, that is a scary situation. I assume all were OK?

As far as Bauer being there. That can't and should not effect tech.. If you dont see Bauer, the competitors should not loosen up. Jim Creigton and the gang know wat they are looking for. I really hope you are wrong with venturis and palming plates..I thought that was a ciirca 2005-6 trick.  That is a simple fix, you can not pull off throttle body, the tech inspector MUST slide it off. 

Danny and all, please post some videos

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

It looked like an awesome race.. Craig and I were texting.. at one point the 99 gang caught back up and it was 7 cars around mid race within 1.1 seconds. Looked like a real pressure cooker. Sorry to hear about Andrew, that is a scary situation. I assume all were OK?

As far as Bauer being there. That can't and should not effect tech.. If you dont see Bauer, the competitors should not loosen up. Jim Creigton and the gang know wat they are looking for. I really hope you are wrong with venturis and palming plates..I thought that was a ciirca 2005-6 trick.  That is a simple fix, you can not pull off throttle body, the tech inspector MUST slide it off. 

Danny and all, please post some videos

That does kinda suck about tech; I thought for sure there would be a few tear downs. I went home yesterday but after Q2 I was directed to impound along with 3 other cars where I was weighed, whistled, and the plate checked. I hope Danny is wrong about the plates and the possibility of them being palmed. I know when I pulled my plate Jim was watching the whole time and took control of it as soon as it was removed. I guess I assumed incorrectly that was how it was done with everybody. I am also deeply disappointed to learn that the same competitor failed the whistler twice. I hope that is not true and certainly want confirmation before commenting on that. Congratulations to Dillion and all the SM drivers who made for a great event!

• MarekM likes this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

The 99 group of Bolanos, Rollan, and Goulart caught right up to us and were all over us for several laps. Then Bolanos went for the pass on Buras down the back straight, got hung out to dry as Rollan pushed Buras, went two wide through T17, got skunked by a lapper in T1, and the next lap they did another back straight pass killing their speed and never quite got back to Buras again. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

A driver even went on the inside of T16 on the RIGHT side of the apex rumble strips with all 4 tires and came back smacking another car side by side in front of me.

Why wasn't there a protest?

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I spoke to a few of the competitors post race. Alll seem pretty upset by the relative lack of tech post the Sebring majors race. I think the general consensus seems to be... OK, one weekend of scare the hell out of everyone and right back to normal? I don't think that is the case, but we will see. 

IMO, worst case scenario, the two cars that were found non compliant last week should have been pulled back apart this weekend to confirm compliance. Those who were running at the front this week that were not at last weeks race should have also been pulled apart, along with two additional randoms. If they want this cleaned up ( I still dont think it was that dirty to begin with). Free passes can't be passed out in week two IMO.

Jim

Jim,

I was going through the GCRs last night and I thought there was a section that said if you were found out of compliance that a note had to go into your logbook and that the logbook had to be signed off afterwards when the car was presented in compliance before it took the track again. Is that not true? I will try and look up the section again and post.

James

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Jim,

I was going through the GCRs last night and I thought there was a section that said if you were found out of compliance that a note had to go into your logbook and that the logbook had to be signed off afterwards when the car was presented in compliance before it took the track again. Is that not true? I will try and look up the section again and post.

James

I believe that to be correct. IMO, Todd,Danny,myself and others from the Runoffs should have all had notations in our logbooks( which I don't think happened) All of those cars should be sealed after the first timed session, pulled apart to the level needed to inspect previous non compliance. Danny ran a different car, so it would not apply at Sebring, but at the first race he runs the car that was non compliant. I am fine with that as I am sure are the others.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Jim,

Thank you for confirming. When posting this comment I was thinking more about the car that was whistled twice and Dqed twice. Why would the car be allowed back on track until it was whistled again and found in compliance?

I haven't ran SCCA races so I don't know how it works at the track but I also thought I read that every competitor must present their log books prior to being allowed on track at all for the first time on a race weekend. To me that sounded like even before the first practice session you must present your log book for inspection prior to any kind of track activity. Does that really happen? If not and the stewards are really not noting non compliance in the log books, SCCA is missing out on good tool that is supposed to be used to help us all get through this shit and move on to racing.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Jamz, please note as Tucker stated earlier, he could not substantiate the claim that the car whistled over at this latest event and he wanted proof of such before making comment.  Which is the way we all need to think in the new era of more scrutiny... Lets not turn second hand stories into accepted fact. 

Its disapointing that there was teardowns at the lesser attended majors event the week before, SCCA knows full well that the Sebring event is HUGE and if there should be an either or tech situation Sebring should be the target!

K. Webb