10 replies to this topic

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Ok, so I will admit I am a bit of over thinker at times so please bear with me. I am running a short 4 hour enduro race in April. I sure would like some guidance, so here are the details.

1. 3 man driver team (we are pretty old so no one wanted to do a 2 hour stint)!
2. 1.6 with original 122k motor, but tuned AFM
3. Track length is 2.25 miles
4. Limited to only 10 gals of fuel at green flag and 10 gals per refuel. Stock 5 gallon jugs with 1 inch diameter long spout.
5. Car has a functioning trip odometer as well as a small stick on clock. (In car communications capability is only 50/50 ATT)
6. Hot pits are set up in the normal paddock area. Estimate just a minute or so to even get to the hot pit and then driver change and fuel.

Whether I use minutes per gallon or miles per gallon, it seems like we will be short about 15-20 minutes doing just two stops for fuel and driver change. That number is based upon 11mpg or 110 miles. Car has done 1:45 in qualifying, but will no doubt cut that back, but by how much? 1:48's? Good question. I don't know.....

So............how is pit strategy best set up. I know variables come into play...mechanical issues, full course yellows, etc, but assuming 4 hours of green flag racing and no car issues, how would you handle fuel and driver strategy? Last minute slash and go? Early pit after say 20mins for fuel and driver change? Also trying to give each driver equal seat time if at all possible. Go flat out from the start and do the 3 stops, or conserve and try to get to the checkered flag with only 2 stops?

Also if someone has a really good and reliable mpg or min/gallon for a stock 1.6 motor in cooler temps, great. Also what happens to those numbers running on a really wet track?

Thanks....see I told you up front I tend to over think this s**t!! :wacko:

Bill

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
Try not to over think this. Figure out a plan, write it down. When the green flag flys, crumple up the paper and throw it over your sholder for good luck!!!! Cuz that is all that piece of paper is good for.

4 hours is 240 minutes. You will do 2 pit stops (driver #1 out, #2 in and #2 out, #3 in) of about 5 minutes each. So 230 minutes of actuall track time assuming green. Divide by 3 drivers and you have 77 minutes per driver. You should have no problem making that time on 10 gallons.

If you are worried, short shift. If you normally shift at 7000, droping to 6500 will save a lot of fuel, but only add a little in lap time. Shift at 6000 and you can probably go 2 hours without fueling.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
That's exactly the type of info I am looking for Dave. Give's me a lot of confidence! Wasn't sure I could do this on just two stops. Thanks.....:lol:
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Not sure the rules but...
If you have to start on the gas tank you qual on, maybe get your fastest guys to do a few laps and call it done to save gas.

Chances are if you get some FCY you'll be in your window.
You'll also have a good chance if you start to run out, you'll make it back to the pits before you do.
You'll run out in a turn (no pick up) and get some back on the flats.

You really want to do your last stop as early as possible, you'll catch up on yellows (if any) and/or while others are pitting.

Go with it whatever happens, don't make it stressful, have fun.
IMO,
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
Have the refueling worked out. We did this with a two man team (total, two drivers, no additional crew) and I was so pumped when I got out of the car, I couldn't function too well with the fuel jug. Usually the fueler has to be in full nomex, with helmet and gloves, so have someone (maybe your third driver) standing by so the outgoing and incoming drivers don't have to think about it.

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Interesting rules. No qualifying, but 3 - 20 min practice sessions prior to start of 4 hour race. Grid position set by registration. 1st team to register gets the pole. Must start with 10 gallons of fuel in the limited class. Have everything covered. 3 drivers and a 3 man crew including fueler. Am really glad to see that we can do this entire 4 hours with just 2 pit stops and 30 gallons of fuel...at least that is the feed back I'm getting. Will short shift a bit, but still want to run respectable lap times.

Appreciate the responses fellas....^_^

Bill

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Try not to over think this. Figure out a plan, write it down. When the green flag flys, crumple up the paper and throw it over your sholder for good luck!!!! Cuz that is all that piece of paper is good for.

4 hours is 240 minutes. You will do 2 pit stops (driver #1 out, #2 in and #2 out, #3 in) of about 5 minutes each. So 230 minutes of actuall track time assuming green. Divide by 3 drivers and you have 77 minutes per driver. You should have no problem making that time on 10 gallons.

If you are worried, short shift. If you normally shift at 7000, droping to 6500 will save a lot of fuel, but only add a little in lap time. Shift at 6000 and you can probably go 2 hours without fueling.

Dave

Thats a good plan IF the driver remembers, LOL. I think we recently lost a 6 hour enduro by 1 pit stop..........

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BrianZ

BrianZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Thats a good plan IF the driver remembers, LOL. I think we recently lost a 6 hour enduro by 1 pit stop..........

yea we lost that race by 1 pit stop and a mabey a driver that had a heavy foot and forgot to shift a little early most of the time but we had fun.

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
Have another enduro coming up in October - 8 hours this time with 3 drivers. Did pretty well in April during the 4 hour taking 2nd in a 5 car class. Car performed perfectly. This upcoming 8 hours will consist of about 3 hours in the dark, Any recommendations regarding lights. Have looked into 7" Hella upgraded lamps, but what about additional lights up front. And is it really possible to get 2 hours on 10 gallons of fuel if shifting at 6k rather than 6700??

Bill-

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Have another enduro coming up in October - 8 hours this time with 3 drivers. Did pretty well in April during the 4 hour taking 2nd in a 5 car class. Car performed perfectly. This upcoming 8 hours will consist of about 3 hours in the dark, Any recommendations regarding lights. Have looked into 7" Hella upgraded lamps, but what about additional lights up front. And is it really possible to get 2 hours on 10 gallons of fuel if shifting at 6k rather than 6700??

Bill-

Run a test day on a similar track and do the math! Put in X gallons and try shifting at different points. and plot your daya, you will quickly see how well you can do/not do given a specific RPM.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Dave

Or use Mike Tysons alleged quote ........ " Every fighter has a plan, until they get hit in the face"

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users