Photo

VIDEO: Completely documented Ti-SPEED engine teardown. Nothing held back!

* * * * * 1 votes

Best Answer Bench Racer , 01-28-2015 08:41 AM

Jim, have you view measured with a 3 X magnifying mirror? Dan, better than normal mirror??? I'm in the process of procuring a 3 X mignifying mirror, not that I do engines, want to experience viewing STR 3 X.

EDIT:
Does the CCC use a 3 X mirror along with measuring tool? Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:SEDIV
  • Car Number:33
Anyone who has never been part of a trackside engine teardown will hopefully appreciate this video...

I was asked by the Machavern family to verify that they were compliant after Dillon won both races at the Sebring Majors just over a week ago amongst heavy scrutiny.  I thought this might be a great opportunity to put together a documentary of many of the things that the SCCA will likely be looking for when they perform their trackside teardowns.  Some of the items measured and documented on this video are:
  • Compression Ratio (Whistler)
  • Bore & Stroke
  • Cam ID & Lift
  • Piston Identification
  • Spring, Valve & Shim Inspections
  • Plunge & Relief Cut Measurement
  • Short Turn Radius Debur Measurement
  • Much more!  

Wherever possible, I tried to use the same (or similar) tools used by the SCCA to take the measurements. 

Bonus points for anyone who survives the entire hour without falling asleep!

Here's the link:

Sidenote:
I'm asking Jim in advance to please delete any non-constructive "cheater" comments.  We've put ALOT of effort into this video and are being completely transparent.  It is intended to be a learning and sharing opportunity for those who have never had a chance to see how technical compliance checks are made.  If you have any issues with this car (or any other), talk to the car owner or write a protest, but please don't muddy the waters on this thread.

• Alberto, Jim Drago, pitbull113 and 7 others like this

Keith Williamson

Keith Williamson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:64

Well Done, thanks for posting.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Craig Berry

Craig Berry

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:TX
  • Car Number:29
Great video Dan. Did not watch every minute, but a lot of stuff over my head anyway. I will say that it is very hard for myself to tell HP from an in-car video. Drago and I were talking this morning about a few races over the last 2 years where we knew our cars were within a few 10ths of an HP, checked before and after the race, but one of us was so hooked up you would have sworn by watching the video there was a 5HP difference.
I will say it again, Congrats Dillon.
  • Jim Drago likes this
Circuit of the Americas Winner - Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Number:51

Watched the whole thing. Thank you Dan. Great job!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Thanks Dan. love the 3x magnify mirror.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
Great video Dan, watched the whole thing as well.

The only question I have is ,where are the fender covers and rubber gloves ? Lol :)
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Watched it in its entirety and sent Dan comments every step of the way... Well Done!!!  Great example for the community at large.

• john mueller likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Excellent piece.  Should be mandatory viewing for any tech inspector involved with the class.  Nicely done.

wheel

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Thanks for all the kind words... I hope people get some useful info from the video.

Regarding the whistler.... the reason the valve cover needs to be off is that the very deep spark plug holes in the valve cover shroud the exit of whistle probe, which changes the frequency of the tone... kind of like a baritone horn vs. a trumpet (long brass tube vs short). The whistler just measures this sound frequency (lower tone for larger volume) and mathematically converts it to a number representing volume.  You type in the total displacement, so it can calculate the CR based on those numbers. 

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Dan

Very nicely done. I will watch it in its' entirety tonight. I skimmed through the video. Most have no clue how much time this must have taken you and how small and slight these things are that are being looked for by tech etc.

Anything that is remotely negative, I am going to kill. Nothing personal, this a constructive thread, so only constrictive posts will be permitted. We all know Dan is funny looking, but this is not the thread to point that out :) 

Jim 

• robertcope likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Dan

Very nicely done. I will watch it in its' entirety tonight. I skimmed through the video. Most have no clue how much time this must have taken you and how small and slight these things are that are being looked for by tech etc.

Anything that is remotely negative, I am going to kill. Nothing personal, this a constructive thread, so only constrictive posts will be permitted. We all know Dan is funny looking, but this is not the thread to point that out :)

Jim 

Jim, I think both you and I would trade appearances with Dan in a heartbeat.  Will also watch it all tonight.  From the looks of the first few minutes, this may be the best quality and most relevant video ever posted for our class and yeah, it's a lot of effort to put something like this together.    

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

Thanks Dan! Very informative. Regardless of what people say about Dillion's car one thing is for sure; you know your stuff.

JT

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Region:SW Florida
  • Car Number:23

I just watched the whole video, very informative process of showing the testing procedures. Thank you for taking the time to produce this.

By the way, just how tall is your technician? He does not look like he would fit in a Miata =)

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Nice job Dan

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
Thank you Dan for taking all the time.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:15
Seems like the guy holding the tool to check the debur better have pretty steady hands? Does that tool rest against anything so it can't move while measuring?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I think "SM Engine Builder" is one of the most difficult and unrewarding jobs in the world!  As a guy who did everything but shoot paint and build motors, I was very happy to have "Pro" engine builders in this class that I could respect and trust, and I have a ton of respect for all those who are trying to "do it right". 

But .. what the heck happened to "The Tiley Beard"???? :crying2: :crying2: :crying2: Looking like you haven't shaved in two days is NOT the same as making a bold and trendy statement by maintaining a constant 4 day growth, Dan!!!  :D

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Dan I got through it, nice job.

I have some questions for the Tech people who would be making the decision at the track about what to tech and how.

When it comes to measuring stroke and cam lift, at the track would you really check each cylinder stroke and each cam lobe lift. No one would de stroke less than all the cylinders or run a modified cam with some but not all lobes modified. my point do you really need to check all in those instances.

On the cam lift, with a + or - of .003 is it ever possible that high mileage motors could fail that spec/

When you see the size of some of these tolerances and the small margins of what could be just human error in the machining process, its easy to see how you can get some innocent failures.

educational for sure.

Thanks.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Dan Tiley

Dan Tiley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Dan I got through it, nice job.

I have some questions for the Tech people who would be making the decision at the track about what to tech and how.

When it comes to measuring stroke and cam lift, at the track would you really check each cylinder stroke and each cam lobe lift. No one would de stroke less than all the cylinders or run a modified cam with some but not all lobes modified. my point do you really need to check all in those instances.

On the cam lift, with a + or - of .003 is it ever possible that high mileage motors could fail that spec/

When you see the size of some of these tolerances and the small margins of what could be just human error in the machining process, its easy to see how you can get some innocent failures.

educational for sure.

Thanks.

Hey Frank,

Glad to hear you made it through!  My wife watched it tonight and even she dozed off twice ;)

Regarding cam wear, I don't see any significant difference between high mileage cams and new cams out of the box.  The cam lobes are individually induction hardened, making them so hard on the surface you cannot cut them even with a end mill, thus they must be ground.  The exception would be an engine that ran with an oiling issue, but that damage is typically obvious and inconsistent, so you'd toss the cams anyway.  The cams lobes will actually all measure within .001" of each other on a cam doctor, unlike the .002" or .003" span I saw with the dial indicator.  I doubt tech would ever disqualify anyone for measuring over (or under) with a dial indicator, but a cam that shows .010" higher lift than spec on the dial will surely lead to another test in the Principal's office. 

As far as how tech chooses which or how many cylinders, lobes, valves, etc to check, I've never seen them check all of them in the shed.  Problem is, I have no idea which they're going to check, so I just verified them all.   An old Richard Petty "back in the day" story was how NASCAR always checked one or two bores of the left bank of cylinders.  Guess what the right bank all measured?

MB - my apologies for the untamed "Tiley Beard".  One thing leads to another and the next thing you know, I'll be coming to work with my shirt untucked!  I can tell you one thing.... all the excitement in SM lately has been turning the "Tiley Beard" grey!

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Dan, very well done.  I will be sending this out to all NASA regions for the folks in Tech to review.  Keeping SCCA and NASA in lock step in tech is my new mantra for the few next years.  This goes a long way of those areas of the county that haven't done much tech in the past.  Thank you.

• Rob Burgoon likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users