Photo

Also how do I remove my stock seat rail sliders.

- - - - - seatmounts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Dirt poor kenny

Dirt poor kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:77

Verbatim. How do I take out those four mounts on the floor for the stock seat rails? Appreciate it 

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Next time combine your questions :)

spot weld drill bit or grinder on seat mounts...though i use them and the bolts for a simple made seat mount.

Upper A arm. Remove spindle nut and big bolt on top! Ok, there are little tricks. The top bolt can be taped slowly to the front(you may have to back out your sway bar bolts). A little wd40 always helps anything slid along that has never been out. A sharp blow with a light hammer to the spindle at the ball joint will help it pop out. Do not hit the threads...or the end of the threads to try and knock it out!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

My first question is, what brand of seat are you installing?

If this is a new car build have your seat installed to your comfort (to steering wheel, pedals, shift lever, and  think in terms of side protection tubes, side tune near your head, main hoop near your head) before roll cage is implemented.

I have a Ultra-Shield Pro road race seat and I didn't remove the forward support/mount that travels from the inside of the rocker to the tunnel. I modified the bottom side of the race seat to fit over the support/mount keeping the seat mounted to the floor pan. I implemented the seat for one size person, me. I also used what I'll call an air operated impact tool with mushroom head to displace the tunnel so the race seat fit better so there was no tilt side to side.

The two seat mounts in the rear I cut with hammer and chisel and then with hand held grinder removed the sharp edges. I didn't want to drill through the spot welds. The double thickness of metal with the floor pan and left over seat mount had zero effect when mounting the seat.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dirt poor kenny

Dirt poor kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Number:77

My first question is, what brand of seat are you installing?

If this is a new car build have your seat installed to your comfort (to steering wheel, pedals, shift lever, and  think in terms of side protection tubes, side tune near your head, main hoop near your head) before roll cage is implemented.

I have a Ultra-Shield Pro road race seat and I didn't remove the forward support/mount that travels from the inside of the rocker to the tunnel. I modified the bottom side of the race seat to fit over the support/mount keeping the seat mounted to the floor pan. I implemented the seat for one size person, me. I also used what I'll call an air operated impact tool with mushroom head to displace the tunnel so the race seat fit better so there was no tilt side to side.

The two seat mounts in the rear I cut with hammer and chisel and then with hand held grinder removed the sharp edges. I didn't want to drill through the spot welds. The double thickness of metal with the floor pan and left over seat mount had zero effect when mounting the seat.

thanks both of you guys for the info! I have my own modular seat rails I made i just need to get it a bit lower. Now that I think about it i can leave the floor mounts....my problem is my helmet hitting my cage in the forward hoop to my left. Ill just cut the tranny tunnel and move the seat a few inches to the right. I can just spot weld/rivet a piece of alum.. sheet  to the tranny tunnel

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

If you look around in the classifieds of this site or ask Jim Drago site owner he sells a panel to fill seat cutout tunnel. 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

RazerX

RazerX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Region:N. Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

i highly recommend welding that piece in there.  No pop rivets.  That area can be critical in a crash and you want that floor pan integrity in tact, for your own safety. 

- Speed

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users