BlueJay73

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:27

Hi guys,

My '99 build progresses (slowly).

I've ordered the panel from East St Racing.

While I'm waiting for it to come in, I cut out a small section (way smaller than the ESR panel) to test fit my seat.

There are two layers of steel in the transmission hump.

Are both layers cut out for the panel? I sure hope so.

Thanks,

Jim Long

Oh wait, another question.

I was at the NOLA regionals a couple weeks ago. That was me taking the pictures.

I saw a number of Kirkey seats, and I got one for me (the 71500, 16 inch). It seems to have everything I wanted, and the Kirkey people were a joy to deal with.

Are the stock seat mount humps in the car, both front ones and rear ones, removed to mount the seat? I sure hope so.

I bought the side mounts, but do most people use the side mounts or just mount that seat directly to the floor?

I gladly accept any and all advice and tips you can throw at me.

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

email sent

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

My 2 cents on our body parts which take a load in crash are, hips, ribs, shoulders, (of course everything the harness touches) with the ribs being the weakest. Halo seats are great if your Head and Neck restraint takes minimal lateral load. Seats with wrap around at the ribs are looking to break ribs.

Again, my :twocents: 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BlueJay73

BlueJay73

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

I appreciate any and all advice, no matter the denomination.

Anybody want to chime in about the seat mounting? Anyone? Bueller?

BTW, the East Street Racing Notch out Panel came in this evening. That thing is really nice looking!

Already installed and riveted in place. Best looking thing on my car!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

If your torso isnt to long(needing to put seat on floor even after leaning back), fabing a bracket out of flat stock that bolts onto the stock mounts is simple! But having an adjustable seat via pre-manufactued mounts or custom ones is nice if other people drive your car!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I have this seat and I really like it, if your not too wide...57 wide (external wide) and fits nice in my 99.
Look around, try some out at a local shop, sit in some cars, I'm sure some will let you at the track, form, fit, function, it's important.
For me going up to 9000 make things wider and cost more, 4009 is a good value IMO, Your budget may vary.

I've also been in a major accident with it, and walked away.
http://racetech-usa....otorsport-seats

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Number:57

I posted some pictures of my E-Street Tunnel Mod installation in my gallery:

http://mazdaracers.c...r/3048-russmcb/

Some people commented they thought my choice of riveting the panel into place was not sufficient, but I think it's fine.  You can decide for yourself.

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Anyone remember "Bernard"?  He was a prolific poster from a decade ago, and he was 8'3" or 7'7" or something ridiculous, and he got dinged in his logbook for a floorpan mod to help him fit safely in the car.  I think it chased him out of the class, but I'm sure if that hadn't, some valvejob thing or Whistler DQ, or 1.6 parity issue, or Runoffs fistfight, would have ... lol

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Riveting is a perfectly valid method of structural attachment.  The aerospace industry does it EVERYWHERE.  However, we don't use pop-rivets, and we put in a hell-of-a-lot more rivets.  Also, generally sheet metal is riveted to a structual member: beam or channel of some sort.  That will work loose, crack, or both eventually (and maybe not very far down the line).  In the event of a major crash it may tear loose and allow the floor pan to deform or tear where your seat is mounted. 

Nope, wouldn't drive that in a race if you paid me. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BlueJay73

BlueJay73

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

OK, it is now riveted AND welded in place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users