- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

colinlucas

colinlucas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

So I have purchased a Miatacage.com cage with all the bells and whistles for my 99 Miata.

From previous research, I was presuming around 1K to have it welded in. The two quotes I have are 2K to 2500 from race shops (werks 2 in Burbank).

The site says it should take around 16-20 hours for someone with "some" fabrication experience. I think I was assuming that number would go down for someone more experienced. Is there a better option in the Los Angeles area? Thanks in advance.

Colin

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:07
I'm not sure what the hourly rate of a race shop is in your area but my shops rate is $100/hr and we are just a repair shop. Most cage builders will be more. So even if they quote you 15 hours it will be expensive at $150/hr. That being said, my dad and I installed a Miatacage in my car and it took way more than 20 hours. It was our first time though so I'm sure it can be done quicker.

Once you get it in I'm sure you'll love the cage. I love the door bars in mine.

marcusmazza

marcusmazza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:13

I recently purchased a miatacage.com cage as well. I originally planned on putting it in myself, but due to time constraints, ended up taking it to a local hot rod shop that does cages. I just dropped it off last week, and I was quoted 20-30 hrs @ 50/hr. This includes some customization of the cage (triple driver side impact beams, a-pillar support beams, some extra gusseting, petty bar, and a few additional mods.) His hourly rate is very cheap, and he TIG welds everything. Of course, I live rural Pennsylvania.

Marc

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

A huge factor wrt cage installation cost is the prep of the car before it goes to the cage builder. Is the interior stripped with all the seam filler and insulation removed in the weld areas? Dash loose? Wiring harnesses released and tied up? It can be time consuming ($$) to get the car ready for the install. Is the cage builder handling the seat mount? The more they do, the more you pay. I do advise having the cage builder mount the seat for you so they can customize the cage install as needed to optimize the fit.

Mark

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

about $2000 would be a good average number to install that cage. As said above that would be without car prep. Just fit and weld in the cage. Anything more would be extra. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Car Year:1990

I put my miata cage in,  

its a great kit,  and with the directions and some basic knowledge it is doable by yourself. 

The big factor here is how big are you?

Im 6'2" 230lbs right now(need to be 205,  getting there)  And I will say,  at this size fitting in a miata is a PAIN!!!

It is by far not impossible,  but you need to make sure the cage is fitted to the absolute maximum for interior room.  Get the main hoop as far back and up as possible.  
If you are bigger,  then you will likely need to do something custom.  

I did really well on my cage,  and yet,  I still wish I had the main hoop a couple of degrees farther back, a few mm's taller, and shifter slightly farther to the drivers side.

I did one,  would I do it again, maybe 

Would I do another one for myself(or someone my size), NEVER

colinlucas

colinlucas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Thank you for all of the replies!

Im 5' 10" 175lbs so no real problems there

The seat is already mounted and the interior is fully stripped, doors cut out, dash easily removed, even the paint removed from the areas where the cage meets the body.

I'd love to learn to weld, and do it myself, but i'm a bit worried about my first welding project being something that my life is potentially dependent on. 

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
✓  Best Answer

I'd love to learn to weld, and do it myself, but i'm a bit worried about my first welding project being something that my life is potentially dependent on.

A cage is not a job to learn on
  • Mike Collins and colinlucas like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:707
I did my own cage from a kit and my dad had his custom built by a local guy in Akron, OH. Dad's was a tig welded copy of a Drago cage and he did it for less than twice what I paid for my kit. We dropped the car off and picked it up a week later. I'll never do another myself. After all of the tools required and the time it consumed, I've learned my lesson, lol.

colinlucas

colinlucas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
agreed. Thanks for the help :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users