Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Camera mount (NASA requires a camera running during all sessions, don't know about other clubs)

Where is this rule located? I keyword searched the CCR and couldn't find it.

So is it?
Should it be?
I've made mistakes and sworn I didn't do it. Then looked back and... oh sorry.
Good tool to get in or out of trouble with, but at least the truth would be known.
I know... "from that angle it looks like" can happen but...

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14

I am the Chief of Race Tech for NASA Northeast, and I have never heard of making in car cameras manditory. Club raceres are nortoriusly cheap,so to make a rule to have everyone put data ac or cameras in there cars would cause an uproar for sure.  

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I am the Chief of Race Tech for NASA Northeast, and I have never heard of making in car cameras manditory. Club raceres are nortoriusly cheap,so to make a rule to have everyone put data ac or cameras in there cars would cause an uproar for sure.

Fresh from the mothership, the 2013 Supps for our race group.

http://www.nasanorca...oup_A_Supps.pdf

Please note the required camera for us this year. This shouldn't be a big surprise as this was talked about several times last year.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Craig

Just saying.
J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

That is for their region and is in their supps, that is not a NASA National rule.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

No Sh!t !!, Dave.

See all the ??? on topic and my statements.

Should it be ??

I was just opening it up for discussion.

So in your region a $100 GoPro with break your racers budget, fine.

Want it optional for your region fine.

Thank you for your input.

J~

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

I'm not sure you ever delt with groups before..............but I'll tell ya that good idea or not, people will bitch and moan just because they are MADE to someting. Goes along the "can't please everyone" theme. It has nothing to do with how much the cameras are.

And drop the attitude............just sayin'...............

D.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Johnny is a big cream puff in person  :P  :D

And for the record Dave...no one bitched I'm aware of or stopped coming because they had to run a camera(reality is most already do!)out West. In fact I would guess a few are thankful as it has saved their butt in sorting out incidents!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I say, run it or don't but, when it comes to "he said, she said" time video rules. So, if you ain't got no tape, you lose. That should make it pretty clear.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Tom, That's my atttitude on cameras as well, and that is how the argument process goes after an incident(person with video has more clout). However I don't see it being accepted by my bunch out here if forced upon them. I could see in a higher level series such as World Chalenge,or even NASA Nationals, but not regional races. It is difficult enough implementing GCR updates each spring at Annual Inspection time , such as "what do you mean I can't run with this lead acid battery exposed in my driver's cabin?", to which we reply..........#1."it has been a rule for 2 years already-.so you haven't read the GCR, and #2. I noted this in your logbook to be rectified last year,so I guess you either can't read or didn't race at all last year. Rediculous stuff like that.

I'm first in line to take the abuse every spring when changes are made. Some of these guys can't be made to accept that the belts are timed out and need replacement, and now have to be told they have to buy and install cameras? I gotta pick my battles on this one...........

P.S. I do have a camera in my own car

D.D.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

A non issue. Guys have cameras in their cars because we are egocentric and all believe they are Senna and want the video to prove it to themselves. I see few if any cars without video. Now it working reliably for every session is another story.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

I don't think the issue is having a camera.  Most people do.  The issue is running it in every session.  I certainly don't bother in practice (especially on test-n-tune Fridays), and yes sometimes there are issues in practice, but not enough to warrant needing a camera, IMO.   Now I guess if I bothered to hardwire the GoPro and/or they made a battery that would last 4 sessions, I'd run one all the time, but adding charging and swapping batteries to my todo list before/after every session is just one more thing I don't need.   (It'd also be helpful if all data-acq systems were integrated to start recording as soon as they started logging to help with forgetting to start your video and/or wasting battery/card recording useless footage in grid.  (I've set my data acq to not start recording until I hit 40+ mph.))

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I was pointing out the supp to bring it to light as a tool that could be use. How many knew this was out there?
That could be use....
In any Club, Region or track.
In any class or classes.
At any time.
If you have an issue with contact, etc with a group or groups on some part of the track.

Carry on.

J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I'm against a general push towards regulation, period.  In general I think that regulations should be limited to those things that safety or technically driven. 

I don't think that people should be FORCED to run a camera.  If I have contact with another car, and I have video that appears to show they were at fault, and they don't have any video (austenibly to refute my claim and video) then they will loose.  If someone wants to take that risk, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to. 

That said...I run TWO cameras, forward and reward facing because I want the evidence when I go talk to the Race Director.  And I WILL be hardwiring both gopro's during the summer off-season.

A non issue. Guys have cameras in their cars because we are egocentric and all believe they are Senna and want the video to prove it to themselves.

Wow.  That's kinda harsh.  I can't speak for anyone else...But, my primary usage of video is educational, not egotistical (the evidentiary purpose is secondary to the educational purpose for me).  I'd love to be the next Senna, but I'd never get closer without the video---or improvement would occur at a drastically decreased rate.  I have no delusions about ever becoming Senna (or any other paid driver), but that doesn't negate the GOAL.  Data is great, but it can be very hard to decipher without video.  If I only could have one, I'd rather have video. 

• Todd Green likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Can see it now dq'd in impound for faulty camera.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Tom,

I guess I can see how someone might think I am being harsh .Especially if you are unable to see the glibness in my comments and understand that I am greatly generalizing the situation. My response was geared more toward the financial hardship case that Dave D was kinda making. The point was that every (again a generalization) extreme sport kid, track day enthusiast, racer, skier, ETC on the planet has a gopro. Why? Not because they can't wait to use it as a training tool. But because we all like watching ourselves. We like showing our friends and family how cool we are. I am no exception. Ive watched my own video from last race at least 10 times. Mostly to improve and to find things to work on, but just because I enjoy it too.

As far as against it because you are against regulations in general. Really? Only regs for safety and to define technical? How about regs for consideration of staff? To help them not have to deal with egocentric alpha's after very tense events like track incidences? People aren't suggesting regs just to make your life miserable or tedious. They are suggesting regs to help make things efficient and clearly understood. I know it is all the rage in the country to think regulation is a dirty word. And yes I would agree that you can take regulation too far. For example, if I use your criteria, it would be a righteous regulation to require that everyone run a halo seat and an onboard fire system, you know, for safety reasons. But there is a balance. Am I as safe in my non halo and 5lb hand held fire extinguisher? No. But I am safe enough. Should super cars be allowed to be sold in the US without ABS? Yes in my opinion. So I think it isn't as clear as regs being ok for certain categories of things. It is much more useful to write regs that advance the cause for some group we should be considering. And if it isn't a great burden to implement, do so. After all you have two gopros. What is the burden?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Kyle,

Now that would be taking it too far. Isn't there a middle ground where we can say you are required to have a gopro, and also understand that it is difficult to ensure that the thing is functioning every time?

And if a reg is too much for everyone, a gentlemans agreement that we all try to run it to help the dispute process. That we commit to each other that we will provide the video even if we know that it will show the person providing to be at fault.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
This is almost a non issue in scca where we don't have to report to principles office for most racing incidents. I have never been asked to produce vid for official purposes at scca, I have had to ask for forgiveness from a competitor a few times though.

Nasa is big on the govt issuing justice and it is why they want to require video. Competitors are not allowed per the rules to work it out amongst themselves.

I feel I have a much better relationship with those who race with me at scca races then I typically have with nasa racers. I believe a lot of that has to do with difference in how racing incidents are handled.

And not trying to debate this! I know many here love nasa and love their contact rules. So this is just my preference nothing more.
Sadly my camera rides along in the car while capturing nothing more times than it actually serves the intended purpose of proving I the next one! ;)

K. Webb