Photo

How do you get the Smart Camber tripod to work on Team Dynamic wheels?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Was able to mount them up and measure camber on my D-Force wheels but can't seem to figure out how to make this work on the Team Dynamic wheels since they don't have a lip and the surface is massively angled.

Anyone got any tips on how to position them on the Team Dynamic wheels?

Thanks.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51

Have you tried locating the indicators in the gap where the tire and rim meet? I have a set of wheels where I have to do it that way. 

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

I don't trust using reference points on the rims. Unless they are new there is a chance there is some run out. If away from the alignment rack I use a plate held against the wheel face with a magnetic adapter. Sometimes I bolt the plate on to the rim using some standoffs I make so I don't have to hold it in place. All of the digital gauges are sensitive to vertical alignment making it dicey to get repeatable measurements at times. Being ever so slightly out of vertical can change the camber reading by one or two tenths and drive you absolutely batty. My favorite gauge is the Intercomp 100005 as it includes a bubble level for getting the orientation correct. Expensive but worth it. I have a Smart Camber gauge in the rafters somewhere if anyone wants it. I'll let it go away for very very little. Make offer.

Mark

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

I don't trust using reference points on the rims. Unless they are new there is a chance there is some run out. If away from the alignment rack I use a plate held against the wheel face with a magnetic adapter. Sometimes I bolt the plate on to the rim using some standoffs I make so I don't have to hold it in place. All of the digital gauges are sensitive to vertical alignment making it dicey to get repeatable measurements at times. Being ever so slightly out of vertical can change the camber reading by one or two tenths and drive you absolutely batty. My favorite gauge is the Intercomp 100005 as it includes a bubble level for getting the orientation correct. Expensive but worth it. I have a Smart Camber gauge in the rafters somewhere if anyone wants it. I'll let it go away for very very little. Make offer.

Mark

I was thinking of something along the lines of a plate as well.  Hang it off the lugs or something  Going to see if Johnny D can fab something up. 

Thanks for sharing the tip about the vertical alignment.  I was noticing that also and didn't understand why it was changing.  I was watching the numbers change as I tried to position at the same point on the wheel lip but didn't think of that.

How exactly does that Intercomp work?  What does it attach to?  I thought about buying one of those at the time that I bought Strings from you but couldn't figure out how to use it by looking at it and saw posts on here and the old site about the Smart Camber.

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Alberto,

The intercomp has a magnetic adapter iso it clamps on to the steel plate. l'll take a picture of the plate and the standoffs tomorrow on the car. I think the gauge is in the trailer so the pic won't show that but you'll get the idea. I used to offer these plates and standoffs as a product but dropped them as there was no demand and it was a pain to make the standoffs on the mill. 

Mark

I was thinking of something along the lines of a plate as well.  Hang it off the lugs or something  Going to see if Johnny D can fab something up. 

Thanks for sharing the tip about the vertical alignment.  I was noticing that also and didn't understand why it was changing.  I was watching the numbers change as I tried to position at the same point on the wheel lip but didn't think of that.

How exactly does that Intercomp work?  What does it attach to?  I thought about buying one of those at the time that I bought Strings from you but couldn't figure out how to use it by looking at it and saw posts on here and the old site about the Smart Camber.

Mark
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Alberto,

The intercomp has a magnetic adapter iso it clamps on to the steel plate. l'll take a picture of the plate and the standoffs tomorrow on the car. I think the gauge is in the trailer so the pic won't show that but you'll get the idea. I used to offer these plates and standoffs as a product but dropped them as there was no demand and it was a pain to make the standoffs on the mill. 

Mark

Thanks.  I don't quite understand what a standoff is but hopefully the pic will help.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Have you tried locating the indicators in the gap where the tire and rim meet? I have a set of wheels where I have to do it that way. 

I actually tried to do that.  Unsuccessful for the most part.  Difficult to determine accuracy.  Plus I won't be able to measure caster if I can't get the gauge to sit on the wheel.  Actually, I guess I can now that I think of it...

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Alberto, being your a quick study. Standoffs would be similar to the three round adjustable legs of your tripod, in effect a spacer. Being you have Johnny D. at your disposal he could make out of solid round material three stand offs (six total) for your tripod legs. Machine an inside hole (slip over tripod leg) and machine a lip on the other end that would fit on the outside of the radius of the tire rim.   

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Number:98

I keep a set of D Force wheels (known good) with old tires, for set up!

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Alberto, being your a quick study. Standoffs would be similar to the three round adjustable legs of your tripod, in effect a spacer. Being you have Johnny D. at your disposal he could make out of solid round material three stand offs (six total) for your tripod legs. Machine an inside hole (slip over tripod leg) and machine a lip on the other end that would fit on the outside of the radius of the tire rim.   

Ah, that make sense.  Thanks for the education David.  Interesting term.  Good idea on the approach.  

I'm actually borrowing a Longacre bubble gauge with some plates that appear to attach to the hub somehow from fotostars tomorrow.  Should be a good learning experience.  

I keep a set of D Force wheels (known good) with old tires, for set up!

If only my old D Force wheels had tires...  I was lamenting over that on Sunday.

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Pictures below. Sometimes I use two stand offs, sometimes four. Works well either way. The camber gauge attaches to the plate with a magnetic adapter. This also works well for referencing the string box rather than using the hub centers. In a pinch I also use the plate without the stand offs using the center of the wheel as the reference plane.

img-4048.jpg?t=1429037230

img-4046.jpg?t=1429037224

img-4049.jpg?t=1429037233

img-4051.jpg?t=1429037239

• Alberto likes this

Mark
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

I see now...  Brilliant.  Can't believe demand was not there for this.

So the standoffs are those items that screw onto the lug so you can attach the plate to.  I feel so enlightened. :)  

Sometimes I wish had studied mechanical engineering.

Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:76

ICM used to sell the plates and the "standoffs" ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users