• Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Full
http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1434725484

Club
http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1434725486

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
There was no need for the .040 debur on edge of combustion chamber other than to cover what others were already doing.. Oh well, it is there now.
Jim
  • Danny Steyn and Brocodile like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Andrew Stowell

Andrew Stowell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:92 SSM

I might be the only one to autocross my spec miata, but if you do, note that they want to delete the section that classifies spec miata in DSP.

Street Prepared

#16443 Touring Car Clarification

he following rule change proposal, effective 1/1/2016, is provided for member review and comment. Delete the following paragraphs from Section 15 Street Prepared introduction:

Cars listed as eligible in and prepared to the current Club Racing Improved Touring (IT) rules are permitted to compete in their respective Street Prepared classes. Neither Street Prepared nor Improved Touring cars are permitted to interchange preparation rules. Improved Touring cars may use tires which are eligible under current IT rules even if they are not eligible in Street Prepared.

Cars listed as eligible in and prepared to the current Club Racing American Sedan (AS) rules are permitted to compete in Street Prepared class B (BSP). Neither Street Prepared nor American Sedan cars are permitted to interchange preparation rules. American Sedan cars may use tires which are eligible under current AS rules even if they are not eligible in Street Prepared.

Cars listed as eligible in and prepared to the current Club Racing Touring category rules are permitted to compete in their respective Street Prepared classes. Neither Street Prepared nor Touring cars are permitted to interchange preparation rules. Touring cars may use tires which are eligible under current Touring rules even if they are not eligible in Street Prepared.

Cars eligible for the current Club Racing Spec Miata rules are permitted to compete in Street Prepared class D (DSP), with the additional allowance that they may use any size of any tire which meets the requirements of 15.3 and fits on the Spec Miata compliant wheels and within the compliant bodywork. Spec Miata cars in DSP may not intermix use of the Spec Miata and Street Prepared allowances. The competitor is responsible for being in possession of the Spec Miata rules and for proving that his/her car conforms to the rules.

Cars listed as eligible in and prepared to the current Club Racing B-Spec Regulations are permitted to compete in their respective Street Prepared Classes. Neither Street Prepared nor B-Spec cars are permitted to interchange preparation rules. B-Spec cars may use tires which are eligible under current Club Racing B-Spec rules even if they are not eligible in Street Prepared.

Note: The SPAC and SEB have become aware of the changes to the scope of modification allowed in Club Racing’s Touring category. The modifications now allowed in Touring represent a significant esclation, well beyond the intent of the allowance for Touring cars to compete in their respective Street Prepared classes. This exemplifies the risk of providing “crossover” allowances such as these, which create dependencies on the GCR and may result in unintended competition impacts. For this reason, the SEB is proposing to remove these allowances from the category.

I already wrote a letter. If you autocross, I'd suggest you do the same.

The SCCA annoys me with the way they change rules. It feels like if you want a straightforward change that most people want, you ask for year after year, till you're blue in the face, then maybe they'll change it.

But if someone on the board find a rule and doesn't know why it's there, "Hey, let's change it right away!"

They could at least try to rewrite the section to properly class as many club racing cars as they can. It really annoys me they just want to delete the whole section instead.

OctaneNation

OctaneNation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

What's with the change in min head thickness? I couldn't find any background info on this change.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

There was word a number of heads were not compliant solely due to exceeding the minimum thickness requirement.

A thinner head is ultimately not a "performance improver" (as you apparently lose timing on the cams or something with them being closer to the crank) and in conjunction with the compression numbers spec'ed there's an appropriate check on too much C/R.  Besides, if you're shaving a head and don't perform a proper CC'ing (or accurate C/R calculation) of it afterwards...well...it's on you.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

(as you apparently lose timing on the cams or something with them being closer to the crank)

Known or unknown impact?

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
The min thickness rule was implemented in 09 or so due to an advantage gained by cutting the heads very thin and unshrouding the valves. The chambers were starting to look like clover leafs. I don't think there is much difference in this most recent change in min thickness other than it will allow some heads to be saved one more time that would have otherwise been unusable.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

James,

I'm not sure if you edited it or if someone else might have but I appreciate the removal of the 'attack' levied against my knowledge about engine specifics.

But to answer the question (now deleted), I'm not an engine builder but can quickly grasp the concepts associated with various recommendations (lift, duration, overlap, timing in general) and it was explained on our call that month how cams being 'closer' to the crank can affect camshaft timing (retarded I believe - aka no performance advantage).  I agreed with what the other experienced builders on the committee were explaining and agreed reducing the minimum head thickness would not be a performance advantage while allowing a greater number of heads to be used which would otherwise be unusable.

I might be giving away 'internal deliberations and/or debate' of the SMAC but in this case I think it's allowable.   :burst:

Thanks,

Brandon

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Brandon, I'm not an engine builder either and I do understand the item similar to you.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

OctaneNation

OctaneNation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

it was explained on our call that month how cams being 'closer' to the crank can affect camshaft timing (retarded I believe - aka no performance advantage).  I agreed with what the other experienced builders on the committee were explaining and agreed reducing the minimum head thickness would not be a performance advantage while allowing a greater number of heads to be used which would otherwise be unusable.

Cam timing definitely gets retarded when milling a head. This moves the power band up in the RPM range, so I'm curious how it was deemed 'no performance advantage'. See end of page of http://www.solomiata.com/cams.html

But if an engine was already at the max CR with a cylinder head the only way to salvage the head without exceeding CR would be to use another block that hasn't been cut.

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Octane. Wouldnt you think a head gasket with added thickness too make compression would be smarter? Gaskets are open and often shims are juggled around too get proper compression.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Cam timing definitely gets retarded when milling a head. This moves the power band up in the RPM range, so I'm curious how it was deemed 'no performance advantage'. See end of page of http://www.solomiata.com/cams.html

But if an engine was already at the max CR with a cylinder head the only way to salvage the head without exceeding CR would be to use another block that hasn't been cut.

"No performance advantage" was due to their being a max compression rating for all engines - that's the 'check' for having a head at the min thickness and still permitting the block to be decked.

As Chris notes, head gaskets and shims and such are allowed to reduce the CR to the level the builder desires.

Regarding the retarding of timing and it being a performance advantage: that is an accurate statement but as I understand it there's nothing we can 'tech' to prevent this from being done so it wasn't addressed.

Again, I'm not a builder so I'm having to take the word from those on the SMAC who are builders to comment accordingly.

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

just for reference brining the cams closer to the crank alters timing in a less than desirable performance.

• Jim Drago likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

just for reference brining the cams closer to the crank alters timing in a less than desirable performance.

Why? And can it not be corrected with additional advancing of the timing?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Mechanical timing (valves open relative to piston stroke) is different than ignition timing (spark relative to pistons).

Better or worse depends on various factors but Ralph is saying that in our case generally worse. If the power band shifts to a higher RPM where the engine is already flow limited, then I may loose more torque/power at the lower end than I gain at the top for less total useable power.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Mechanical timing (valves open relative to piston stroke) is different than ignition timing (spark relative to pistons).

Better or worse depends on various factors but Ralph is saying that in our case generally worse. If the power band shifts to a higher RPM where the engine is already flow limited, then I may loose more torque/power at the lower end than I gain at the top for less total useable power.

Thanks Steve. Couldn't the mechanical timing be modified by one tooth on the cam gears to adjust for this? Is shaving thousandths of an inch really enough to modify the mechanical timing that much?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Hmmmmm. I always become a bit suspicious when the mechanics fall quiet.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Hmmmmm. I always become a bit suspicious when the mechanics fall quiet.

I hate to go there, but Ralph, Jim and Steve concur. Info from 3 out of 3 mechanics is not good enough??? 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I'll answer so your not scared :-)
No matter how you get too legal compression the cam timing will be the same. Aka deck head,deck block, adjust gasket thickness ect. Honestly there is no need for a min. Head thickness anymore. Years ago before the piston part numbers were spec'd people built 1.6 cars with auto pistons that were lower compression then decked the head a lot too get too legal compression. The gain was unshrouded valves and retarded timing. Both good for the 1.6 but useless on the restrictor plate motors. Now pistons are spelled out in rules and that can no longer be done. The 1.6 auto pistons were lighter and ran a thinner oil ring also providing a gain
  • Mike Collins likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

The automatic 1.6 rods are lighter too....

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users