Marc S

Marc S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:North Carolina
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:65

Someone please help me, I'm stumpified.  Building a 2005 SM, about to start the engine for the first time.  Key on, dash lights come on and fuel pump primes.  Key to start - no starter (and no voltage to the solenoid on the red/black wire) but the brake warning symbol lights up on the dash.

Battery and fuses are good, clutch switch is now jumpered (but got same symptoms when it wasn't and I pushed the clutch in while "starting").  I get power out of the ignition switch on the white/black wire when in the start position.

Ideas, before I give up and take it to the junkyard?

Thanks,

Marc

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
Ignition interlock box plugged in? If more than 1 key try the other one. 2001 up cars have a chip key
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Sound ms like no crank, so probably not the interlock unless 05 is different than 01 which will crank but not start.

Do you have a good ground strap from the engine to the chassis? Did you paint over where it bolts to the engine or chassis?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Marc S

Marc S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have the ground wire from the left rear of the head to the body. This seems like an interlock issue to me, everything else works properly but when the key is in start no voltage goes to the red/black solenoid wire. Other than double-checking my clutch switch jumper for continuity, I'm stuck.

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:07
Looking at the wiring diagram there is no security on the starter system. Power should go through the switch, through your jumped interlock switch, and then to the starter solenoid.

Do you have an ohm meter? With the key off check the resistance on the white/black wire from the starter switch down to the interlock. Then check the black/red wire from the interlock to the starter solenoid. If both of those have continuity and you have power coming out of the starter switch then your jumper is no good.

Marc S

Marc S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I do have an ohm meter.  I'm confused by the wiring diagrams I have.  One shows a clutch switch with white/green and black wires running to it, with the white/green wire going back to the PCM and the black to ground.  The other shows a starter interlock switch with white/black and black/red wires.  If the clutch switch is the one on the clutch pedal, where does the starter interlock switch live???

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
The connector with the white/green and black wires going to it is for the cruise control clutch switch. The PCM uses this to turn off cruise control if you push the clutch in. Don't worry about this one because it won't keep the car from starting. You need to jump the terminals of the other switch. It should be near the clutch pedal somewhere. I don't have an 05 so I'm not positive as to where but it can't be far.

Marc S

Marc S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So is that a clutch pedal operated switch? I was upside-down under the dash yesterday and couldn't find it, but I'll look again.

Marc S

Marc S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Pretty sure I found the problem.  The clutch switch I jumpered is for the cruise control.  The interlock switch that keeps the car from starting if the clutch pedal is not depressed... is missing from my car.  The shop that did the cage forgot to re-install it, apparently.  I'll report back after I figure out what that switch plugs into.

David S.

David S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Glad to hear you're on the right path. Should be fairly easy from here to find the correct plug to jump.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Here is a pic of what you are looking for:

http://www.tomhampto.../odds-and-ends/

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Marc S

Marc S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That did it - thanks guys!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users