• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Car Year:1990

I used to have access to a nice 4 post lift,  and I would just roll the car on that and do camber and toe settings. 

It was also a flat surface to measure for ride height, and be able to just lift it up to get under for adjusting the suspension.

Anyway,  my lift went away,  and i am left with the shop floor only.  

I know that for every bolt that goes through a bushing it should only be tightened with the full load of the vehicle on it,  so you are at 0 twist in the bushing at ride height.  

How do the work on the car at home guys do this? I'm thinking about maybe a 12" high box for under each wheel,  but they would need to be perfectly square, or else the car would not be sitting flat anymore.  

I have seen scale pads,  but there isn't not a whole lot of room under them to squeeze into either.  

I'm missing the lift,  and its only been 3 weeks  <_<

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I used to have access to a nice 4 post lift,  and I would just roll the car on that and do camber and toe settings. 

It was also a flat surface to measure for ride height, and be able to just lift it up to get under for adjusting the suspension.

Anyway,  my lift went away,  and i am left with the shop floor only.  

I know that for every bolt that goes through a bushing it should only be tightened with the full load of the vehicle on it,  so you are at 0 twist in the bushing at ride height.  

How do the work on the car at home guys do this? I'm thinking about maybe a 12" high box for under each wheel,  but they would need to be perfectly square, or else the car would not be sitting flat anymore.  

I have seen scale pads,  but there isn't not a whole lot of room under them to squeeze into either.  

I'm missing the lift,  and its only been 3 weeks  <_<

Yep, boxes as you suggest work.  A couple of tips:

1.  Make the boxes out of 2x lumber.  Make them bigger than necessary. 

2.  You can use T-nuts and 1/2" bolts with jam-nuts to act as levelers. 

3.  You should have lips that protrude above the top surface on the outside/inside and front/rear to prevent the car from slipping off the pedastal.

4.  Use slip plates (purchased, or made out of 2 industrial tiles with a grease layer....thus the importance of the lips to keep the car from slipping off).

I placed mine in place on my garage floor and carefully leveled each one, and to each other.  Use the jam nuts to lock the adjustments when complete.  Then I marked each box with its orientation and location.  Then I marked their exact position on the floor.  Now I simply place them back on their marks, and check for level.  I haven't had to readjust, yet. 

NOTE: Its best to get the car into position on the stands without the slip plates.  Then to jack slightly to insert/remove the slip plates.  Again remove the plates from all 4 wheels before dropping off the stands. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tLinder

tLinder

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:SouthWest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:40

Here's an example of some wooden ones (not mine)

https://www.facebook...2&type=1r

And I've seen these on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2800f0967e

Toby Linder