Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Our September weekend looks to be an action packed.
HPDE1-4, TT and our full race program is on deck.Including PRC and Formula Car Challenge.
Spaces are filling up fast.
Get yourself registered. https://www.nasapror...com/events/2058  
Discounted registration ends September 14th. After that online registration increases by $20.
At track registration will be an additional $100.
Remember online registration closes on September 23rd at 12 noon.

Entry list.
https://www.nasapror...2058/entry_list

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

fotostars

fotostars

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:63

Just signed-up!

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ToddW

ToddW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:67

I'm in!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:42

I"m in too!

Sacslider

Sacslider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Car Number:27
Judging from the texts an phone calls I have received tonight it sounds like drama was plentiful this weekend....
Craig Evans
NASA NorCal SpecMiata Director Retired
NASA Norcal Region Champion - SpecMiata 2011, 2013<p>
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

If the results are correct...

Congrats to Matt Cresci on his 1st win over Mark Drennan !! Wow.
http://racehero.io/e...ults/1073744345#

Did the USTCC cars play a role ?

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

pmillion

pmillion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Southern CA
  • Car Number:14

The whole weekend was a circus .........Matt C on Sunday was DQed

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

The whole weekend was a circus .........Matt was DQed

Reason?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Won the Teen Mazda Challenge, and in tech was protested for:

-Headlight hood gap

-Out of spec cams

-Lightweight crankshaft

-STR plunge cut

I made the arrangements for the car to be sealed and taken to a shop to be torn down, but that all went out the window when I was DQ'd for the hood gap. Correct, there is nothing in the NASA rulebook against hood gaps, but a private email was used against me where I said that hood gaps "are like a cold air intake" just like something that NB's have (don't worry, this explanation is coming in the parity thread, new discovery!), so the actual rule I was DQ'd for was "modifying a performance item with intent" or some generic regulation along those lines, because the email proved I knew about it and could have fixed it. That being said, it was totally fair on NASA's part! They did nothing wrong, I should have bought a new hood, but still believe it was a BS protest and am truly disgusted by the people involved. This is "club" racing, but this was a "pro" move. I joined SM to have fun, but there was nothing fun about that experience, so I will re-evaluate my involvement in SM next year because of it.

That being said, all this drama happened on Sunday, so my Saturday race win still stands, checkered flag please Johnny! Enjoy the video. You can even see Drennan flip me off out his window as I celebrate after the checkered in turn 2 :)

I will be showing up to the last race of the year with a shiny new (junkyard) hood, see everyone there.

• pmillion likes this

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pmillion

pmillion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Also. NASA canceling the Sunday Qualifier do to some folks sitting on pit road waiting for a clean lap............so one sided  and a  big disappointment and money spent for new tires for Qualifying

• ECOBRAP likes this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Also. NASA canceling the Sunday Qualifier do to some folks sitting on pit road waiting for a clean lap............so one sided  and a  big disappointment and money spent for new tires for Qualifying

Peter,

Though this may be how it seemed...it is not accurate. 

Lets start with the first issue everyone should be pissed at NASA about. You have a mixed class with 50+ E30's and SM cars already. They decide to throw in 15 or so USTCC cars...creates a max car count for the track and big speed differentials. Sat qual was fuucked up by these cars and most were lucky to get 1 flier lap out of the 4 green laps(which included the out lap). The race was even worse!!

Sunday qual was a repeat but with a twist. After the out lap and 1.5 green laps...a USTCC car again found a wall and created a double yellow situation. Pace car came out. It took awhile to get the wrecked car off track(2 laps). During the time the pace car was out about half the field managed to get back in line behind it. But the other half the field created 2 or 3 separate groups also going at pace car speed with no intention of getting back to the pace car group! Someone in race control got pissed at this and black flagged the session followed immediately by a checkered. With only 5 minutes or so at that point left, only thing they could do.

I believe a driver meeting was called within a couple minutes of all getting back to the pits. NASA said because people didnt get back to the pace car they were cancelling the session. Granted, there were many in all 3 groups who did not get a flier in what was essentially 1 green flag flying lap. Many were complaining. The front SM group got 2 laps in but the double yellow came out as the first cars were finishing their 2nd flier...2 classes(e30/ustcc)got 1 in. The strategy by some in SM to come in on the first flier(find a gap) and not get a lap was not smart. They got lucky others in the group tried to find their own gaps under double yellow which prompted NASA to cancel and revert to race 1 as grid for race 2. Many more people affected by what happened in qual than just 2 drivers...just to be very accurate and fair!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Not sure how the protest process works in NASA. Did the protestor have to put up a big bond for those items requested? Is money kept or returned based on the outcome? Like SCCA does the person who is protested get the bond if they are found compliant?

First time in 5 years I have seen a competitor protest in NASA

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

-Headlight hood gap

-Out of spec cams

-Lightweight crankshaft

-STR plunge cut

I made the arrangements for the car to be sealed and taken to a shop to be torn down, but that all went out the window when I was DQ'd for the hood gap. Correct, there is nothing in the NASA rulebook against hood gaps, but a private email was used against me where I said that hood gaps "are like a cold air intake" just like something that NB's have (don't worry, this explanation is coming in the parity thread, new discovery!), so the actual rule I was DQ'd for was "modifying a performance item with intent" or some generic regulation along those lines, because the email proved I knew about it and could have fixed it. That being said, it was totally fair on NASA's part! They did nothing wrong, I should have bought a new hood, but still believe it was a BS protest and am truly disgusted by the people involved. This is "club" racing, but this was a "pro" move. I joined SM to have fun, but there was nothing fun about that experience, so I will re-evaluate my involvement in SM next year because of it.

That being said, all this drama happened on Sunday, so my Saturday race win still stands, checkered flag please Johnny! Enjoy the video. You can even see Drennan flip me off out his window as I celebrate after the checkered in turn 2 :)

I will be showing up to the last race of the year with a shiny new (junkyard) hood, see everyone there.

Matt,

1. This isn't a sealed class. You going to a shop, especially the shop that built it, and asking for it to be torn down and sealed is meaningless and I would have dismissed that argument out of hand. And knowing we are not a sealed class, if you had it torn down just for your own edification then why the need for it to be sealed? It wasn't like you were going to wake up in the middle of the night and replace the good parts with bad on your own car right? And what good was the tear down anyway if you were just going to leave parts on the car that you knew were out of compliance? You feel the NBs have an advantage for air intake over you and that is the jusitification for not fixing the hood. We all know your views on torque so if you found something that mitigated that wouldn't you have just used the same logic to leave it in place and seal it up? You might say that you know the SMAC and CRB are considering the air intake change therefore you are righteously balancing your car because they agree with you. But would that also mean then that we should change your exhaust manifold be cause we all know they are considering changes there too? Your flywheel? Are you wrapping your airbox yet? ETC.

2. Hood gaps are directly and indirectly covered in the rules. Controlling airflow is in the rules.

3. Is the cold air intake an advantage or is it not? You seem to be playing both sides of the fence. When you are caught you want us to believe it was no advantage and a bullshit protest. When you are fighting for parity for the 1.6 you support the additional air intake through the light. You also go on to talk about the advantages additional air flow is giving the NB(more on this later). Which is it? Pick a stance.

3. The private email used against you. Well don't write contradictory emails and they can't be used against you.

4. You champion this as club racing and therefore protesting you on your special cold air intake you are disgusted with, but you have no problem with complaining about other competitors that through no fault of their own may have been slightly out of compliance and you were not willing in any way to give them a pass. So again it appears you have a dual standard and I ask which is it?

5. If you joined to have fun, then have fun. Why is this less than fun if that is all you came in for? But it isn't about having fun. It is about you wanting to be a pro driver and missed opportunities. I admire that position. But call it truthfully instead of saying you just wanted to have fun. There should be nothing in your experience this year that disappoints you if your only goal is to have fun. You didn't have your car stripped down to the crank, you beat a national champion, you ran fast laps, you have poles, your car is intact. Have fun!! I would have been thrilled with your results this year and all smiles and no enemies.

6. The NBs have 1.8 motors, different bracing different geometry ETC. Because they have those things, does not give you the right to decide on your own what things you can do or not do to achieve parity. This is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. You are also lighter than me in my NA 1.8, so do I get to decide to reduce my weight just because the 1.6 is lighter? Do I get to modify my rev limiter because yours is higher than mine? Look I push the boundaries too. But if I am called out on it I am called out on it. I don't provide a BS excuse that my wipers are lower on my windshield because the 99 is more slippery than my 97. I take my DQ and fix the problem and know I went too far. And the hole you are talking about in the NBs, well the NA 1.8 has it too. and it isn't any new discovery. Yes it might be for you, but it isn't for the guys that sit on the committees that determine parity and it isn't for me. Sometimes you come off sounding like you should be winning every race because you are so much better than everyone else and if you are not it is because your car isn't as good as theirs or they are cheating. This is the pot calling the kettle black but........ humility is an attractive quality and one in which team owners and sponsor like to associate with. But I am older, not looking for a sponsorship from Mazda, and never going to be a "pro" driver so I get to be a bit more of a dick than you are able to. I also know that me being a bit more of a dick costs me friends ( just ask Todd :) Todd, that is meant to be funny and not attacking ad hominem) and opportunities. Can you afford that whether it is fair or not? Whether you like it or not, politics matter and I know I am not the only one to point that out to you. You can complain about it, but what you aren't going to do is change it.

7. Why is Drennan flipping you off? I certainly haven't seen him show a propensity for doing that. I haven't seen him do that when he has been beat by others. I think Drennan feels he was slighted by you and you did something to warrant being flipped off. So what would that be? If you aren't asking yourself that question you are missing important information. But I know that you know why he is upset at you. You just don't care to share that, at least not at first. But you are way wrong if you think I am just going to listen to you say things like that and just take your word that you have done nothing wrong without asking the question of why. But what I do know is that he isn't flipping you off because you beat him. He is already going to the shootout, he has already won the championships. He doesn't need the Sonoma race in order to feel like he is a great driver and to achieve his seasons goals. So again, why is he flipping you off?

As I have said many times before to you; you are a great driver. But much of the drama you are describing is drama you have participated in. I hope in your "re evaluation" of SM that you decide to return. I also hope that part of the re evaluation is included a re evaluation and honest assessment of the things you have done to contribute to your lack of fun this year. There are alot of people around you that truly have your best interests in mind even if you are unable to see that. I hope you can see that even though I don't agree with you on many of these things, that doesn't mean that I don't want you to succeed. I am not the only one that feels that way. There are a couple of things that I think you have valid points on. I also know that those things are being looked at. The racing world didn't wake up this year and say lets go pick on Matt. So what role and responsibility do you have in this year?

• john mueller, Joe (dad) Jordan and Ron Alan like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pmillion

pmillion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Ron Saturday was the same we may have gotten two flyer laps but did not site out in pit lane waiting for a clean lap .....................yes NASA messed up but sometimes you have to deal with the day I feel others cried their way out  - sad

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

But the other half the field created 2 or 3 separate groups also going at pace car speed with no intention of getting back to the pace car group! Someone in race control got pissed at this and black flagged the session followed immediately by a checkered. 

Interesting.  I probably would have maintained gaps too...

19.3.6 Double Yellow Flags Categories: Command; Global. Description: Two (2) solid motionless yellow flags, displayed at every manned flag station around the course. Uses: NO PASSING is permitted. This is used to indicate “a full course yellow.” This means that there might be a problem somewhere on the track. Drivers are NOT required to significantly slow their vehicles; however they should be prepared to encounter a “local Yellow Flag” situation and/or a Pace Car (or a very slow moving pack behind the Pace Car). The display of Double Yellow Flags does not guarantee the appearance of a Pace Car. It is a command that NO PASSING IS ALLOWED until the Pace Car has pulled off the course (if applicable) and the driver has passed the next manned flag station that is not displaying any Yellow Flag(s). Reference Pace Car [Ref:(19.4.1)], [Ref:(20.11)], and [Ref:(20.12.1)]

Doesn't say anything about needing to maintain a min speed or catch a pace car.  That official needs a chill pill.

• True North and Ron Alan like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

-Headlight hood gap

-Out of spec cams

-Lightweight crankshaft

-STR plunge cut

So was this a NASA DQ or a TMC DQ?  There seems to be a difference.

Todd Tagget

Todd Tagget

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:42

Interesting.  I probably would have maintained gaps too...

19.3.6 Double Yellow Flags Categories: Command; Global. Description: Two (2) solid motionless yellow flags, displayed at every manned flag station around the course. Uses: NO PASSING is permitted. This is used to indicate “a full course yellow.” This means that there might be a problem somewhere on the track. Drivers are NOT required to significantly slow their vehicles; however they should be prepared to encounter a “local Yellow Flag” situation and/or a Pace Car (or a very slow moving pack behind the Pace Car). The display of Double Yellow Flags does not guarantee the appearance of a Pace Car. It is a command that NO PASSING IS ALLOWED until the Pace Car has pulled off the course (if applicable) and the driver has passed the next manned flag station that is not displaying any Yellow Flag(s). Reference Pace Car [Ref:(19.4.1)], [Ref:(20.11)], and [Ref:(20.12.1)]

Doesn't say anything about needing to maintain a min speed or catch a pace car.  That official needs a chill pill.

Actually the official was pissed , blamed it on 4 of the drivers.. ,, 

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I guess in hindsight the 4 could of been blacked flagged, not sure for what. "you made me mad" ? :)
J~

pmillion

pmillion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

What hasn't been mentioned and does not sit well with us is the fact that there is an agreement, that all Teen Mazda Challenge drivers abided to last year and years before. One of the top two Teen Mazda Challenge competitors from 2014 just verified with me that there was an agreement that there would be no protests between teens. Ron Cortez told us this last year.  Last year was Matt Million's first year competing in this series and we were totally aware of this agreement.   The fact that it was allowed and not enforced this year was unexpected and sad to see.  

This shouldn't have happened. 

THis was all a Mazda Teen Challenge protest.  

Seemed like poor sportsmanship.

Matt C was not protested after his win on Saturday.

No one protested Matt C's hood all year until he became the points leader.

I do not like forums, but this is my knowledge of this situation and my opinion.

Tamara Million

• ECOBRAP likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Was Ron around? Does he know? It's his show.

Matts fastest lap may have raised some eyebrows with the other protests.

Comes with the territory.

J~

• john mueller and Rob Burgoon like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users