Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I am very proud to announce that Hoosier has responded to our comments and suggestions regarding the H20 tire. They will be working on a new version H20 tire for our class.

I emailed Tim Gilvin at Hoosier with our concerns when we started this discussion on line. Tim called me this morning and we spoke for a bit and He and Hoosier completely understand our concerns. Hoosier is anxious to deliver us a wet tire that we are all after. Hoosier has several good ideas on how to get there. The goal being a real rain tire that lasts several competitive sessions with little to no drop off. Hoosier engineers will be working on a new wet tire for SM. They will be testing different compounds and tread designs to see how to best accomplish our goals here.

As a long time SM competitor, I have beyond satisfied with the Hoosier tire and even more with their support and constant willingness to work with the SM community. This is customer service at its' finest. I'm sure more news will be released as this project progresses. I'm sure Hoosier will work with SCCA to fade the old H20 out. I just wanted the community to know that Hoosier is definitely addressing the wet tire issue and I have 100% confidence that we will be deliver another great tire as they have doing since 1958!

Thank you Hoosier, this is really good news!
Jim

Attached Files

• Dave Cox, Keith Novak, Cnj and 8 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:Cen-Div
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:67

Have to love a company that listens to its customers and has a "Take the bull by the horns" attitude. Thanks Hoosier.  

• Jim Drago and Armando Ramirez like this

Nic Piekarski

My 99 Spec Miata makes great torque under 5,500 RPM!!!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Jim,

Please enter a letter into the system, so that the SMAC and the CRB has a letter number to which we can refer, as this moves along.  

thanks,

wheel

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Jim, thanks for taking the initiative on this

And a HUGE thanks to Hoosier. Everything that Hoosier does, from their great track side support, to their excellent customer service, to their generous contingency programs, and all the other behind the scenes stuff they do to help the Spec Miata Class in particular, and grass roots motor racing in general, is nothing but top-shelf.

Many thanks for listening to us, first with the change from SM6 to SM7 which has saved SM drivers so much money, and now for listening to us with regard to the H2O. It takes a FULLY INVESTED company to see the long term benefits of maintaining a sustainable racing class, instead of chasing the short term revenue. Hoosier, I salute you, you have my vote!

• Dave Cox, Jim Drago, Armando Ramirez and 1 other like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Jim,
Please enter a letter into the system, so that the SMAC and the CRB has a letter number to which we can refer, as this moves along.  
thanks,
wheel

Will do wheel

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

It is refreshing to see Hoosier's response, considering all of our requests benefit us and not Hoosier. I am trying to say making this change is less money for Hoosier but a quality company like Hoosier puts that aside and responds to our concerns.

A class act IMO.

Not knowing what they are going to come up with, i would assume this will make your wet driving skills a little more important.

• Jim Drago and Armando Ramirez like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Great news!  I am beyond happy with Hoosier as our tire and love all their support!  I always get perturbed when we talk of going backward to be on same tire as nasa.  Hoosier is at every race I attended this year and they actually give us service!  Persoanlly IMO they have gone well above what any of us expected of them when their contract began.  

Thanks Hoosier and Thanks Tim Gilvin!

• Jim Drago likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Get it, harder tire, lose control :)

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995

Great news!  It's refreshing to see a company so supportive of their grass roots customers.

(Maybe we should help them out by letting them know that all they have to do is make the tire harder...)  :buried:

• tom1977 likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Rules are rules. So has Jim gone rogue? Or will the rules catch up when the tires ready ?

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1432133572

Just asking.
J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

When, and if, Hoosier comes out with a new rain tire, the SMAC and CRB will recommend a plan to bring the tire into the system, and to designate it as the spec rain tire.  Typically, there is a short grace period when the racers will be able to use up their inventory of the older tire.  In this case, if the new rain is much harder and slower, that grace period might not be appropriate.  Those are things that would be discussed if this ever happens.  

wheel

• Johnny D and Jim Drago like this

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Great news. Thanks Jim.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Great news!  It's refreshing to see a company so supportive of their grass roots customers.

(Maybe we should help them out by letting them know that all they have to do is make the tire harder...)  :buried:

Yes, and to get a positive response so quick is rare and appreciated.  Thank you Jim and Hoosier.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Kevin B

Kevin B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:37

Awesome news!  Thank you Hoosier and thank you Jim for helping to voice concerns!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

All they need to do is run a few laps in the dry with them before shipping. :)

Thanks Jim!
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Great news! I am beyond happy with Hoosier as our tire and love all their support! I always get perturbed when we talk of going backward to be on same tire as nasa. Hoosier is at every race I attended this year and they actually give us service! Persoanlly IMO they have gone well above what any of us expected of them when their contract began.

Thanks Hoosier and Thanks Tim Gilvin!

To be fair, race tires is what they do and they would typically be at the track with or without the SM contract. I know a lot of people are happy with the current tire but not everyone is. I'm not sure yet, but I think they are costing more to run than should be possible, unless you are picking up a bunch of the contingency. That aside, if they come through with a more cost effective rain then they certainly score big points.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

To be fair, race tires is what they do and they would typically be at the track with or without the SM contract. I know a lot of people are happy with the current tire but not everyone is. I'm not sure yet, but I think they are costing more to run than should be possible, unless you are picking up a bunch of the contingency. That aside, if they come through with a more cost effective rain then they certainly score big points.

J~

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Ok so not sure what your saying here, Toyo is a street car tire so they should not be at the track?  Well never seen them at a track so I guess they provided us with service as equally impressive as HOOSIER... 

Hoosier has provided us with customer service  way more then toyo thats for sure, would any oher manufacturer be at the track in the same way that Hoosier is?  Doubtful, I have seen a lone guy a few times iin a BFG shirt and maybe Goodyer when they had the SRF contract, but allass they just lost that contract to Hoosier.

Hoosier seems to get it that all auto racing begins at the Grass Roots level, which is club racing...  

so I say again Thanks Hoosier for the fantastic service and very good tire!

• Armando Ramirez likes this

K. Webb