Photo

1.6 to 1.8 clone Poll

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: 1.6 to 1.8 Clone Poll (42 member(s) have cast votes)

For or against

1. For (14 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Against (12 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Don't Care (16 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
What Do You Think

SM
1. #17680 (Ralph Provitz) 1.6 to 1.8 Clone
The CRB is seeking member input on the proposal below. Please provide feedback on crbscca.com.

1. 1990-1993 cars with the 1.6L engine may be updated to 1994-1997 cars (the source vehicle) with the 1.8L engine, provided:

a. Cars updated in this manner shall be re-classified to the model year corresponding to the source vehicle dash VIN plate.

b. A new log book shall be issued using the source vehicle dash VIN along with the source vehicle model year.

c. This updated car must conform to all rules governing the source vehicle’s model year, including, but not limited to updating
the following: complete engine assembly (from airbox to downpipe), ECU, wiring harness (in its entirety), dash including VIN
plate, brakes, and differential.
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

[X] Don't care

• Jim Drago likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
This seems like a no Brainer. Why should I care if someone wants to convert their na6 to am na8?

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I dont care personally, but if your going to write this in the rules, then you must do this with the 99-00, 01-05 swap either way someone wants to.  I know it is already being done and has been done, so just make it the rule and be done, but anyone who has a 1.6 shoudl be able to go 1.8 if they want to. as long as they run car in 1.8 trim IMO

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
Can someone please explain what kind of advantage this would be ?
Because I must be missing something.
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Can someone please explain what kind of advantage this would be ?
Because I must be missing something.

For you me or anyone who has a caged chassis in good condition, if you want to build it into another model year rather then starting over its a huge advantage, so what dont you understand?

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Jesberger

Ron Jesberger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:NY
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:13

Might as well allow a 99 and up swap and go from there!

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995

So why is this all about placating the current 1.6 drivers?  I understand they're the most vocal.  There are a lot more of them than 1.8 drivers.  Why are there a lot more of them?  Because hardly anyone wants to drive the readheaded stepchild NA 1.8.  Sure it may be good for some tracks but has some serious disadvantages on others.  I don't see a lot of people clammering to build them today.

If we're going to allow updating the 1.6 to a 1.8 to get more torque, why not also alow backdating the 1.8 to a 1.6?  Why would someone want to?

• Lighter weight
  • Higher rev limiter
  • More commonality with other drivers
  • More crossover potential

I see 1.6 donors out there all the time for dirt cheap.  I'd seriously consider backdating my own 1.8.  Unless the 1.8 gets some help to make up for the disadvantages it has, I don't think it's a big benefit to the class allowing the 1.6 to swap to to a disadvantaged setup that hardly anyone wants to drive as it is.

• Bruce Wilson and Jim Drago like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jason Brassfield

Jason Brassfield

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1990

What would you think about updating/backdating with no regard to the chassis? Meaning you could run a 1.6L powered 1999 at 2275 if you chose, or a VVT powered 1990 at 2450?

Maybe spec a chassis weight and an engine weight?

1990-1993 chassis 1800 lbs

1.6L engine 475 lbs

1999-2000 chassis 1810 lbs

99-00 engine 640 lbs

Or whatever weights make sense with more thought.

and so on...

Probably getting into too many complications and difficulty too be realistic but its an interesting thought anyway.

- Jason

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

What would you think about updating/backdating with no regard to the chassis? Meaning you could run a 1.6L powered 1999 at 2275 if you chose, or a VVT powered 1990 at 2450?

1.6L engine 475 lbs

99-00 engine 640 lbs

and so on...

Probably getting into too many complications and difficulty too be realistic but its an interesting thought anyway.

Of course other ideas and suggestions are welcome, as always in the form of a letter at crbscca.com, Reponses here are not official.

:)
J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

1.6L engine 475 lbs

99-00 engine 640 lbs

and so on...

Now were getting somewhere ! :)
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I can see it now.

Top guys get a full tear down at the runoffs.

After, then you don't care who parts are who.

Just grab a few boxes and your good to go.

J~

• dstevens likes this

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
^ lol
Kuch

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I changed my vote to no.. This is opening a can of worms we don't need to go down. If you want a different car.. buy one :(
  • B(Kuch)Kucera45 and Chuck Caldwell like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:39

Buying and adapting in a new engine is significantly more affordable than it is to buy/build a new car. The only reason why I would consider replacing my current vehicle is due to the engine performance. If I was able to swap in a different year motor (say 99'), and run the vehicle at 2400lbs I would do it in a heartbeat (This assumes extending the 1.8 clone to engine swaps of all years)

I changed my vote to no.. This is opening a can of worms we don't need to go down. If you want a different car.. buy one :(

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

creating a frankenstein car is not on the table from the SMAC, I.E. 99 engines in a NA. The 1.8 clone proposal replicates a car that is currently on the spec line in the GCR. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Buying and adapting in a new engine is significantly more affordable than it is to buy/build a new car. The only reason why I would consider replacing my current vehicle is due to the engine performance. If I was able to swap in a different year motor (say 99'), and run the vehicle at 2400lbs I would do it in a heartbeat (This assumes extending the 1.8 clone to engine swaps of all years)

Which is why I changed my vote and my letter to no. Frankenstein cars that will require umpteen additional changes to make them work properly is not something I would not support. An NA 1.8 into a NA 1.6 is a no brainer, vice versa is a no brainer. That is not the case putting a 99-05 engine into an NA chassis.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:39

Ok. I can see how that could escalate into a new monster, I'm wrong :)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users