• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Lmcgrew79

Lmcgrew79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Car Year:1994

New here my name is Luke McGrew purchased a 1994 miata and decided to build it towards spec miata with a goal of going racing in the next year or so. Been tracking/instructing and use to time trail since 2008 in various cars, mostly 2008 Dodge Viper with all ACR Mods and some suspension setup, a viper ta,  and a track prepped e46 m3. I ordered a new Viper ACR a few months ago and while waiting to get it, ive decided to build a miata. Co drove one sometimes autox and recently drove a friend of mines at ncm which was a blast. Funnest cars ive driving on track are an arial atom followed by a miata.

I Probably should have purchased a 99 but this one was close and cheap and im not looking to be a major contender just mainly for fun, it was smoking some from an over heat and i thought it was a stuck rings or valve seals. I replaced the seals and that didnt fix it, so i decided to pull the engine and found that cylinder 1 wall had some damage. Purchased another block and going reuse pistions and crank from this block as everything looks good. Got a long list of items as this car is stock. Learned alot already from the wealth of info on the forums. 

Lmcgrew79

Lmcgrew79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Painted Trunk

9C152EA4-22CB-446E-8668-5254A9FD38EF_zps

2nd week of ownership

9C93F396-7EAE-475D-A1AF-4DA54F45F49B_zps

Power Steering Depowering

C4C82263-FF47-4F53-B634-1820D3D2E488_zps

240EA9A3-6B99-4D12-A8E1-78E6A09730E3_zps

Hotsy Steam Clean

E9A48FF8-57D0-48C7-BF49-6FA9D26092DA_zps

Prepping for Paint while motor is out.

03DECD01-EB72-4A25-8557-AB5668E243F4_zps

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Welcome to the addiction Luke, keep the pics coming.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:13

Welcome. Sounds like you are setting some reasonable goals for a first time build and should have a blast. I also race a 94 and am always excited to see more people in the oddball year cars. I raced with NASA-SE all last season and I never saw another NA1.8. Start building a collection of spare parts as the 94 has some unique parts that nobody at the track will have.

Good Luck!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Welcome Luke - keep the pics coming!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Welcome! Nice to see new drivers and new car builds going on!

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Its a good car...trust me! You say overheated...I hope you checked the head for any warp. Any serious overheat always bends the heads...making them pretty useless candidate for a nice rebuild! Have fun!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Number:84

Welcome.  Looking forward to following your build progress!

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lmcgrew79

Lmcgrew79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Its a good car...trust me! You say overheated...I hope you checked the head for any warp. Any serious overheat always bends the heads...making them pretty useless candidate for a nice rebuild! Have fun!

Shaving head down to allowable limit, block, crank and pistons are all getting micrometered as well.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Check the cam journals for straightness. When heads warp they can cause binding of the cams.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
^ and do that with the head torqued to a block.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Lmcgrew79

Lmcgrew79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Some more misc painting.

POR15 the under side.

3563D38B-185D-4588-A2B9-6121A2D27056_zps

Engine Bay Cleaned and Epoxied

AFDC5620-9329-438B-98F6-816265D8053F_zps

F3D572BF-2AC5-441A-B78E-33C6E117C31A_zps

Lmcgrew79

Lmcgrew79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Check the cam journals for straightness. When heads warp they can cause binding of the cams.

Dave

The head was shaved from the reheat and seemed to be working properly. Im just having it shaved a bit more. Ive had the cams out twice now, if there was a problem would there be noticable heat or scaring signs?

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Shaving head down to allowable limit, block, crank and pistons are all getting micrometered as well.

When you say to the allowable limit it sounds like you mean minimal total "height" of the head. I have no experience with that particular engine but you want to be certain that combined with everything else that does not put you over on compression. Someone here will know.
In general, I would first calculate based on the minimum to get flat, and then look to deck the block so it is flat and level relative to the crank. Then to get to the compression limit, take off where you can "afford" to without ending up out of spec, or with piston hitting head, or having no margin left to shave again if needed. It's probably easier/cheaper to replace the block than an otherwise good head.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

The head was shaved from the reheat and seemed to be working properly. Im just having it shaved a bit more. Ive had the cams out twice now, if there was a problem would there be noticable heat or scaring signs?

Depends how tight and how long it has run. With the lifters out it should be very easy to spin the cams with two fingers. Any drag is wasted power and eventually wear or worse. Dave may have more to add from having seen so many.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

What others have said was my point with regard to an overheated head...warped. A head with a 12/1000 warp will/may be 12/1000 out on the cam side typical. Setting the cam in place on a warped head(no caps)...it will rock across the center journals when you apply gentle pressure on either end. So you can imagine what happens when you clamp down a straight piece of metal rod threw what is now not a straight line...

And as Steve said...you cant assume cutting a head to the minimum will not put you over on compession. Also, when cutting a warped head flat...relative to what they were...the volume in #1 and #4 chambers will decrease more than the center 2 chambers.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Nice washer and dryer in the shop....    

Buy Wheeler's book.

http://www.advanced-...&products_id=42

I may have an NA 1.8 FSM in PDF, I'll have to look.  If not someone here will have one.

Here's a 95 FSM  https://s3-us-west-2...ervice 1995.pdf

I don't know if they are still in print but the Grainger book is a great companion to the FSM.  They're still out there. 

http://www.amazon.co...9/dp/1845840909

EDIT: add link to FSM

Edited by dstevens, 12-31-2015 04:33 PM.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

I am not an engine builder. My experience is that if a head is warped bad enough to loose compression it is not usable as a race head anymore. It may work fine for a street car, but will never be good enough for the abuse we put these cars through. I have also seen valve seats fall out shortly after overheats.

There are always exceptions, but we are talking "rules of thumbs" here.

dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

For every newbie, do a google search and you will find most of the factory Shop manuals (FSM) to be available in a pdf form. For free.

The "Hayes" books and the "Enthusiasts" books are good references that you can get online pretty cheap.

And yes, my book is always available and hopefully it is helpfull.

Dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Lmcgrew79

Lmcgrew79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Got a little done today, ordered daves book, welded the pinion all the plugs and put the power steering back together.

CB359BF1-5584-4B89-B2CB-39F644839669_zps

Friend of mine tig welded 4 tacks then 4 more then solid weld with a cool down in between them all.

17BDC494-60F3-433A-98EB-1363E5314912_zps

85F0E41D-185A-4407-83A8-241BB14168DD_zps

86F49E2D-2BF8-4168-A31B-E51C2E90A19A_zps

Never to much grease!

BEBCB29F-364F-4B44-823C-073ECD11A184_zps

• speedengineer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users