ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

I had the car on the scales yesterday to balance and align it. While it was up there it started losing weight. Actually, it happened twice, first round it was 5 lbs, so I zeroed it out and then it started losing weight (20 lbs) while I was watching it. At that point I raised the car again, disconnected everything and replaced the battery. The battery was the culprit, low voltage. Back on the scales, everything stabilized and I got the corner balance done. Then after I had gotten everything written down and was ready to move to the alignment, it lost 1-2 lbs again. Has anyone else had this happen? Frustrating, because it makes certainty of all the hard work, a little uncertain.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

At that point I raised the car again, disconnected everything and replaced the battery.

Chris, comment only from reading your post. Do you have roll-offs rather than raising the car. I have roll-offs and never had your issue of changing scale weights. When I used to set-up my friends (< for Danny) SM or Prod car at his place he had scales, no roll-offs and a car lift.  Lifting his cars up and down on the scales would create some different numbers.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

If you are just lifting without rolling the pads may bind and will need to settle.  You can either roll it on with ramps or lift it to a leveler with a roll off pad.  Jack the car onto the roll off pad then roll it onto the scale pad.  Rolling allows the scale pad to more accurately measure the initial weight.

http://www.intercomp...12_13-l-en.html

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

I'm using the Iron Canyon hub stands, so there is no roll off need, just a little bounce & settle. :)  I just took the car off the scales and found one pad showing -2 lbs.  :scratchchin:  I have to jack each end to make the spring adjustments. A lift would make it much easier, but I live in a townhouse with a tiny garage, so not an option. Anyway, this loss happened while the car was on the scales, not after one of the spring adjustment lifts. Very odd. 

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Understand Chris. 2 pounds/2400 pounds = .0008 of a pound = noise.

Dave, have roll-offs and use multi layer plastic bags on scales, bounce car and roll back and forth and use water level for scales (Water level for Mr. Drago. :bigsquaregrin: )

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users