31 replies to this topic

Mike Colangelo

Mike Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Region:Cal Club (SoCal)
Congrats to Matt, Robert, and Thomas!

It looked very, very wet in the PIRLive feed that I was watching (it was a video shot of the carousel turn).

So, what was it like from behind the wheel or in the paddock? I spent the weekend stuck in Seattle (but it sure beats Newark, NJ!).

And congrats to the rookie racers! Your bank accounts will never be the same! :lol:

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
Holy rain race Batman, it was another one.

We are so lucky to have gotten our race over with early. I left right after the race to get my car back home but came back just in time to see a monsoon hit. There was 6 inches of water where we were parked earlier and very few canopies were spared.

Not sure how many people actually stayed for the STL race, but would like to hear who won and how fast the average lap was. There were times when the traffic was down to 35MPH due to the heavy wind/rain! You guys/gals are troopers for sure!!!

Newbies. You all did awesome! I think this might be the most rookies we've had in a long time. I hope you all find ways to attend every race this year. Those who do will be rewarded with a bit of fast every race you attend, rain or shine :)

One thing is for sure, the weather didn't dampen my excitment for seeing everyone again. But looking forward to a warm and sunny BBQ in the near future!

Congrats to Matt for the win, Thomas for running away from the field early and and Robert for the strong second place finish. I just couldn't reel you guys back in when you started battling. It was a fun race to watch though!

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Robert Linse

Robert Linse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Car Number:55
if you really want to know what it was like behind the drivers seat here you go...

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44
@ Robert, LOL!

STL race was shortened to 5 laps. A porsche found the wall on the back straight. Eric Jones 1st, Keith Novak 2nd, Dani Ferrara 3rd.

SM race for me was interesting! I got a killer jump on Keith but forgot I was in 2nd and said Hello to the rev limiter for a second or so.... Car was pushing like a Semi so i'm going to need to make sure it's not front wheel drive ;)

Thanks to Terrel for not taking me out like I know he wanted to, and for racing me SUUUPER clean. I made an error and almost hit Terrel, good thing he watches his mirrors all the time like a novice ;)

Also want to thank Sean @ Miatacage, and BT for their encouragement this weekend, and letting me snag some laps at the school!

Gary Bockman for giving me some coaching, set-up advice, and use of his rain tires! Tom Ferrara for use of his trailer, tools, misc parts and cleaners he doesnt know about, and his daughters. That's right, that purple car has not one but TWO girls rolling around in it! (Not including me).

Thomas and Ethan Micich for helping when they could! Thomas tried showing me his rain line, but instead was showing me how nice his new graphics were....on his doors.

And thanks to my Dad for letting me come play in the rain! He hated when I jumped in puddles as a kid, I knew it'd help me someday.....

I enjoyed the conversations I had with my fellow racers this weekend, and CANNOT wait to get out there for another race weekend. Hope to see everyone soon! We got a heck of a group this year!

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Colangelo

Mike Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Region:Cal Club (SoCal)
:blink:

Nice driving Robert!

Robert Linse

Robert Linse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Car Number:55

:blink:

Nice driving Robert!

Thank you.
How ever I must say it was no stroll though the rain, there was a lot of pressure from Matt and Thomas but overall a fantastic race.
Great job to Matt for winning his second race.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Eric Jones

Eric Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:OR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23
I had a fantastic SM race with Thomas Ferrara. What an aggressive but clean driver!!!
Great video Robert and congratulations to Matt. Aside from adding a turbo, I have no idea how I'm ever going to catch you guys. But I'll keep trying...
If it can't kill ya, It ain't a sport!

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Hopefully we'll see some video from John Kimball of the STL race. It was insanely wet. Plus, I've never seen anyone get as far sideways (while going straight) and pull out of it as he did...and he did it over and over before saying enough is enough. Should be some good stuff.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Dudley

Dudley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Car Number:01
the sm race was great, so many differant races. everyone had a great time.
congratualations eric, jim has someone to go after now.
looking foreward to seeing everone next month.
great job, everyone under the adverse conditions.

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

I had a fantastic SM race with Thomas Ferrara. What an aggressive but clean driver!!!
Great video Robert and congratulations to Matt. Aside from adding a turbo, I have no idea how I'm ever going to catch you guys. But I'll keep trying...

Data!

-bw

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Eric Jones

Eric Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:OR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

Data!

-bw

Oh, good idea Bruce! I have a Mychron 3 plus/gold (isn't that what you have?) I want to plug in the same tire circumference so we can overlap. If you're willing that is...
If it can't kill ya, It ain't a sport!

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
You're on Eric. Next race, we'll do an overlay of practice and qualifying.

-bw

SM Tom

SM Tom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:00

Holy rain race Batman, it was another one.

Not sure how many people actually stayed for the STL race, but would like to hear who won and how fast the average lap was. There were times when the traffic was down to 35MPH due to the heavy wind/rain! You guys/gals are troopers for sure!!!

..... looking forward to a warm and sunny BBQ in the near future!

-bw

the average speed for the group 6 & 7 over all winner the PCA1 Porsche was only 29.7mph, and that car screams down the straights and yet that was slower than our SM race.

Did you say warm and sunny...sign me up :)

SM Tom

SM Tom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
This was an extra special weekend for me and my family. My daughter Dani completed the SCCA school. It was only her second time on track. We owe a lot of thanks to the instructors(Brian, Sean, Ken, Gary and all of the other volunters) at the school for doing a great job with the students. Dani and I received a lot of support from many that allowed this to come together. Kyle was extremely instrumental in helping with getting Dani set up with gear(suit, helmet, etc) and also Kyle and his father helped by lending us a passenger seat and harness for the SM, and Kyle assisted with the install. This allowed Dani to participate in an HPDE in the Fall and get ride alongs in the school. Also need to thank Gary for taking a special interest in teaching Dani which Kyle helped arrange(I think I have to keep an eye n Gary for now on...LOL). It was a concerted effort and it paid off. Without all of that help there is no way this would have come together! It got Dani her novice permit and into her first race. Although dampend by rain, it couldn't dampen the feeling she (and I and everyone around her) had when she completed her first race. The rain was incredible and when the race was stopped for a crash in T9, I was able to tlak with her for a minute in the hot pits while waiting to go out. I asked if she wanted to continue and her response was, "I going back out!" ....hmmm Anyway, she drove a great all weekend!

And great job by all for bring the cars home in one piece in tough conditions. And great race by Matt, Robert and Thomas...just wish I could have been running closer to watch the battle...my wife Daria said it was a good one.

Tom

SM Tom

SM Tom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Right back at ya...good, tight, clean in the rain...doesn't get much better!

Tom

John Kimball

John Kimball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Number:75

Hopefully we'll see some video from John Kimball of the STL race. It was insanely wet. Plus, I've never seen anyone get as far sideways (while going straight) and pull out of it as he did...and he did it over and over before saying enough is enough. Should be some good stuff.

I'll post some video up tonight. Keith, the spray from your car blocks the camera's view for most of the race, but you can definitely see the wall when I'm facing it head on.

Congrats to everyone who toughed it out! I'm not going to make any excuses for my early retirement from the race.

Dani Ferrara

Dani Ferrara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
@John...nice job out there, can't blame you for not wanting to go on, though I guess I should thank you for coming in and giving me 3rd place in STL ;) I look forward to chasing you around in upcoming races!

I have to say that was a very WET race! I had a lot of fun this weekend though and really appreciate all of the help and support that went into making this weekend possible for me! I just wish I could be out there with all of you guys in SM...I have a little deal with my dad that once I'm faster than him I get to race SM, so he'd better watch out! ;)

Thanks again to Gary, Sean, and Ken for instructing me and encouraging me to push myself a little futher. They helped me gain a lot of confidence in my driving that I didn't have before this weekend!

Also thanks to Kyle for the big role he played in putting this all together, from buying me most of my gear to helping us set up the car and passenger seat and getting me set up with gary to coach me. It really means a lot to me to have his support. Also Kevin and Jan for letting Gary run around in that barney car during the school so he could instruct me!

And thanks to the Micich family for all of their support and excitement and letting me borrow Thomas' hans since I don't have my own yet....Thanks to Robert too for lending me his hans for a session when I didn't even ask for it!

And finally thanks to my family for being out there in the pouring rain to support me and dad for all of the hard work he put in to get me out there this weekend (and covering all of the costs for this weekend!) I had a really great time spending a weekend racing with my dad and look forward to lots more!

www.FerraraRacing.com

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

I'll post some video up tonight. Keith, the spray from your car blocks the camera's view for most of the race, but you can definitely see the wall when I'm facing it head on.

Congrats to everyone who toughed it out! I'm not going to make any excuses for my early retirement from the race.

No excuses necessary. Last October, Gary bailed during the last SM race for safety reasons and while it was really wet, there wasn't several inches of standing water in T12 like Sunday. Discretion is the better part of valor and all that.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

John Kimball

John Kimball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

No excuses necessary. Last October, Gary bailed during the last SM race for safety reasons and while it was really wet, there wasn't several inches of standing water in T12 like Sunday. Discretion is the better part of valor and all that.

I really do like racing in the rain, it's my favorite condition! But you're right, everyone has a line that they won't cross. I found mine in T9.

John Kimball

John Kimball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
But we're getting off topic here, I should be talking about the SM race.

The first lap was pretty nuts, as the rain and spray meant I had almost zero visibility. I lost position to Tom on lap 1 and fought my hardest to keep up with the pack, but to no avail. Then a few laps in Keith spun behind me, giving me a gap that I was able to hold onto for the rest of the race.

It almost felt like a lapping day, as I was by myself the majority of the time. At the finish there was a 5+ second gap in front of me, and almost 10 seconds behind me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users