12 replies to this topic

BlueJay73

BlueJay73

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:27

I have a '99 with the Fat Cat bump stop kit on the Spec Bilstein shocks.

Looked in the trunk and found that the top "sleeve nut" that holds the top bushing in place had worked itself off.

I had assembled it correctly and used Loctite threadsealer on the threads at the top of the shock shaft, but the nut came off anyway.

When the nut came off, the shock shaft got out of position, buggered up the threads, tore up that plastic spring isolator and gouged up that red washer that comes with the Fat Cat kit.

I'm replacing it all, but now am worried that that sleeve nut can work itself off again.

It doesn't look too strong. The shaft threads only go maybe half way up inside of the sleeve nut.

Anybody have similar occurrence?

Does the MazdaMotosports bump stop kit have a  better, more locking nut design at the top of the shock?

As an aside, I read in one of the threads on this site where the Gorilla Glued plastic spring isolators were coming unglued. Sure enough, both my rear isolators had come unglued from the hat. I used the windshield urethane adhesive that some of you guys recommended, and it seems much stronger.

Thanks for the advice!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
Myself and others have seen the top fat cat but work loose. Our solution is too use a allen grub/set screw down from the top too jamb it
  • Sean - MiataCage and DrDomm like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

What Chris said. I don't know why the allen set screws are not part of the kit but we install them in all our cars. Checking the shoulder nuts is still part of the normal race prep process though. 

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BlueJay73

BlueJay73

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Car Number:27

Ok, I think I see what you're saying.

The top quarter inch or so inside the shoulder nut is empty; threaded, but empty.

You screw an Allen bolt down into the top of the shoulder nut, until it bottoms out tightly against the top of the shock shaft, inside the shoulder nut.

Do you know what size Allen bolt, or "grub" you use?

And Chris, congratulations on your dominant win at NOLA!   5+ seconds, I think it was!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I will get the tread size for you tomorrow when I get too my shop
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

We've been using a short regular bolt on the top rather than a Allen set screw. 10mm x 1.25 thread if I recall correctly. The allens are cleaner, I'll probably change at some point, but if you need a quick fix the bolts work fine.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

In my version of the kit, we supply a set screw specificly for locking the sleeve nut in place. Been doing it ever since these bushing became legal many years ago.

Don't feel bad, every body has done it.

If you need the screws, call me. I have them in stock

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Another Hint from Heloise, err, I mean "hack" (isn't that what the hip kids call it?)

I apply a small paint drop that bridges the gap between the nut and the washer so I can instantly see if the nut has moved. I do the same with the alignment cams.

• Bench Racer likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Walter, how often do you loosen your cam bolts? Mine would look like a 60's acid trip if I put a paint dot everytime I make an adjustment. I use a tape strip.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Please allow me to correct my comment referencing Walter's comment. I only match mark the shock nuts. I have a secret marker I use on my cam bolt washers. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

We bead blast the underside of the shock hat where the spring isolator goes as well as then rough up the contact side of the spring isolator on the sander prior to gluing them together.   Also make sure to follow the Gorilla glue instructions.

Sean

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

If I'm not mistaken, the measurement that fat cat gives on the yellow washer compression insures that the nut has jammed down against the top of the shock shaft...it  can not tighten anymore. In the failure i have seen it was obvious this was not the case...because when the first nut was found to be loose...the others were checked(and not loose)but we were able to tighten them another 1/2 turn.

As Steve said the thread is common...I had bolts in my pile that worked(though yes, not that pretty!) 

Ron

RAmotorsports

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts

Walter, how often do you loosen your cam bolts? Mine would look like a 60's acid trip if I put a paint dot everytime I make an adjustment.

A little acetone, or similar, removes old paint and a new dot is applied.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users