Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:California
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:38

I lost the compression in #4 cylinder this weekend.  It happened suddenly.  Pressure on front 3 cylinders is >170psi, but #4 shows no movement on the gauge.  I poured oil in the #4 cylinder and did not get any change in the pressure reading.  I pulled the valve cover so I could see what was happening to the valves.  When I added compressed air through the #4 sparkplug hole (all the other spark plugs were out too) I got air out of whichever cylinder had the intake valves open.  It sounds like I must have a stuck intake valve on #4 cylinder.  Is that possible?  Is it likely?  I will probably get the head pulled off tomorrow, but thought I would ask tonight in case there is something else I should be looking for.  

One other thing.  I developed a very noisy exhaust leak, either at the same time or around that time.  Quick look at exhaust system doesn't show any leaks.  Seems like it might be a head gasket?  No water in oil that I can see.  Oil is down about 1 quart after 5 sessions, which is not normal.

Carl

Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Region:California
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:38

OK. Got the answer.  One of the #4 intake valves was stuck open.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users