Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Do folks fill them with a cheap fluid (to prevent corrosion) & wire the piston into the caliper?

Do you seal all the bolts/bleeders with screws & some thread sealant & washers?

Or just fudge it all and keep them in a zipper baggie & desiccant?

I'm concerned with making the caliper swap quickly and with minimal chance for air to get into the system while making it easier to bleed after the swap.

Thoughts?

P.S. Finding 10x1 & 8x1 taps & bolts for the same is IMPOSSIBLE!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:13

With the piston compressed, there is very little fluid in the caliper. I put some fluid in, run a spare banjo bolt in and store them in ziplock bags. 6 months of storage and I didn't see any sign of corrosion when I took them apart the next time.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:01 ITA

I put a small piece of hose about 1/2 inch on the banjo bolt before I thread it on the caliper to cover the hole in the bolt. That'll stop anything from getting in or out of the caliper.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

surlynkid

surlynkid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:20
Those taps and bolts are not hard to find. Search Irwin or McMaster Carr

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

So what caliper rebuild schedule do you guys use?  Do you guys get kits from any parts store?  Or Mazdaspeed?

Also, dumb question, but what do you to stop the fluid from totally draining out when you take the calipers off?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Also, dumb question, but what do you to stop the fluid from totally draining out when you take the calipers off?

Banjo bolt, a couple flat washers and a nut.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

I've only used the MSP kit (mainly for the caliper boot consumables - so I've got plenty of gaskets & dust boots!) so I can't comment on other vendors/products.

Regarding a 'rebuild schedule' - I've never rebuilt mine (had the car since 2009; raced it starting in 2010) but I imagine the front-runners are into an annual replacement cycle like a number of our other "consumable hard parts" (rear hubs/flanges, suspension bolts, tie rod ends...). 

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Nearly all brake fluid is "corrosive" in the presence of oxygen (air).  If this was an heirloom bluechip collector car, I would tell you to strongly consider putting DOT 5 silicone fluid in it.  But - DOT 5 is incompatible with nearly any fluid we would run on the track.

You best option may be to treat your stored spare calipers like a stored car - keep it filled with fluid, minimized of "air", and assume that protocol will only be good for ~3 years of corrosion mitigation.

Footnote:  Denatured alcohol is the safe solvent to use for cleaning the parts and/or trying to convert fluids.

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

My reason for keeping it filled with fluid is to minimize any air intrusion when swapping but that also begs the need for whether to fill with a cheap-o fluid (and bleed/flush the caliper fully) or fill with your usual brand and still be forced to bleed/flush the caliper.

Thanks for the tips/suggestions regardless...still have to finish up rebuilding them before deciding on a fill scheme (or not).

Nearly all brake fluid is "corrosive" in the presence of oxygen (air).  If this was an heirloom bluechip collector car, I would tell you to strongly consider putting DOT 5 silicone fluid in it.  But - DOT 5 is incompatible with nearly any fluid we would run on the track.

You best option may be to treat your stored spare calipers like a stored car - keep it filled with fluid, minimized of "air", and assume that protocol will only be good for ~3 years of corrosion mitigation.

Footnote:  Denatured alcohol is the safe solvent to use for cleaning the parts and/or trying to convert fluids.

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

My reason for keeping it filled with fluid is to minimize any air intrusion when swapping but that also begs the need for whether to fill with a cheap-o fluid (and bleed/flush the caliper fully) or fill with your usual brand and still be forced to bleed/flush the caliper.

Thanks for the tips/suggestions regardless...still have to finish up rebuilding them before deciding on a fill scheme (or not).

You've likely noticed that our fancy DOT 4 racing fluids have a lower "wet" boiling point than many cheaper options - that is because they "absorb" (adsorb, if you want to earn your nerd wings) water quicker than "street" fluids.  Valvoline DOT 3 and 4 synthetic (sometimes branded "SynPower", depending on the year and which marketing guy is in charge) and Castrol LMA (since renamed Castrol DOT4 Synthetic, because, apparently, a new marketing guy is in charge?) are great options, for storage, for daily use, and even for racing SMs.  And they will be compatible with your higher dollar DOT4 "racing" fluid should you choose to run that.

We rarely "boil" the fluid in SM - I never did, even when I was burning down front pads and turning piston boots into carbon in 2 sessions at the Alan "I can computer design the fun out of any racetrack" Wilson-designed BeaveRun/PIRC original 1.6 mile layout.  There are a lot of Runoffs podium cars running the fluids I mentioned versus something more amazing sounding and expensive.

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Valvoline DOT 3 and 4 synthetic (sometimes branded "SynPower", depending on the year and which marketing guy is in charge) 

Been using this since 2004 with no issues. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Castrol LMA (Low Moisture Absorbing) is all I use in an Spec Miata. First started using it when I worked for an English car restoration shop due to the LMA principle it helped keep brake lines from rusting on cars that where stored. The current bottle says " Castrol DOT4 brake fluid"

IMHO, no need for any of the high dollar brake fluid. Flush regularly.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Been using this since 2004 with no issues.

At least that long. Very readily available and cheap enough that frequent bleeding won't drain your wallet.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Butters

Butters

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

P.S. Finding 10x1 & 8x1 taps & bolts for the same is IMPOSSIBLE!

I just ordered a Irwin 10x1 tap on amazon and got in 2 days with my Amazon prime Sunday delivery.
JohnButters Racing<p>NASA Mid-Atlantic Region

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Amazon must have seen my multiple searches on their site for various sizes, realized there was a need, and decided to "get in the game"!

Thanks for the note!

I just ordered a Irwin 10x1 tap on amazon and got in 2 days with my Amazon prime Sunday delivery.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users