Blackhawk Majors

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Test day was dry and cool. Numerous cars running times below the 1:21.9 track record.

Q1 today was damp at the start. Many people waiting until late for tire choice. Some changing tires while in line or immediately at the start. Drying conditions turned out to favor the guys on dry setup for the last 2-3 laps.

Justin Hille
Steve Scheifler
Tom Brown
Jordon Smart
Evan Pecore
Michael Novak

Looks like it will be a wet/damp first race
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Well, I F'd-up and put Steve's rear H2Os on the wrong side and that is NOT the super-secret intermediate setup. :(

I'm hoping for a dry day tomorrow.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Congrats to Burdzy, Hille, and Bilicki!

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Well, I F'd-up and put Steve's rear H2Os on the wrong side and that is NOT the super-secret intermediate setup. :(

I'm hoping for a dry day tomorrow.

I take all the blame. My car, and I should have marked them as they were mounted, and I damn sure should have checked/noticed before I went out. First wet race in at least 7 years, I could just as easily have done it myself.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Congrats to the podium finishers, and to those who made up 20 or more positions. Would love to see that video Josh!
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Sat Race Results

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1462059276

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
National tech is here, but I'm getting bounced the old fashioned way. We've been super accurate on fuel burn rate, scaling frequently. Somehow, and I can't fathom how I did it, but I came in 10 under after Q today despite leaving a margin of 7 based on full session in the dry. I'm told people were seeing flakiy results yesterday so I'll scale at the trailer when I get back there, but can't imagine tech is that far off.

Congrats to those who made the most of another damp and drying track:

Voytek
Justin Hille
Tom Brown
Justin Elder
Steve (lightweight) Scheifler - starting in the kill zone.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

"It's a new track record !!!" for Mr. Novak

(I thought it was damp ??)

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1462128422

J~

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38

Wow at Voytek's home track no less. Way too go Mike! 

Gongrats to my Drinking Buddy Voytek on the win. And a great weekend for Justin wet or dry. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Congrats Mike on track record!
That's Voyteks place it looks like, well done.
Good weekends by Hille and Schiefflers showing the 1.6 car may not be as dull a weapon as some think.
I think that was Josh Bilickis first Majors podium? Congrats either way.
Max Nufer with a solid weekend in his first trip there
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
Hille drove Eric's 1.6 on test day and went several tents faster than his 99 on the same day. Or so Eric reports.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

It was with great pleasure watching the Scheifler brothers 1.6's on a medium speed track enjoy racing at the pointy end. Justin tested Eric Matoy's 1.6 Fri. and was below 1:22 seconds.Great job guys and thank the current SMAC and current CRB.

Voytek served notice in the rain on Sat. from p 7 to win.

Justin had a great weekend along with Evan Pecore.

Tom Sager, good weekend, different car.

At-Ah-boy Michael, at 1:21.672 ya salvaged your weekend.

IIRC, Tom Scheifler was in P 3 Sunday when something occurred. Anyone care to post their video.

A general comment, in todays very close SM racing, the words "slow down" within the yellow flag rule are not adequate.

• tylerbrown and Chuck Caldwell like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

great racing both days by all those at the front!  Got to sit and watch some racing, since I had mechanical problems all weekend.  Test day every session I ran in the 1;21's felt I had something for the race but two rear bearing failures and a front hub failure as well as a Water pump change put a damper on my plans... Had a great time hanging out at the track!

Pecore, in my old car is the real deal!!! Congrats on the first Majors Podium buddy!

Voytek didnt just go from p7 to the wiin on sunday, he went from p7 to p5 or so by t3 to off the track nearly got collected back to about p15 i would estimate back to the front once passing 4 cars at one time in the carousel!  That was some very great driving under those rain conditions!

Justin what can you say about him, he ran fast and consitent all weekend! great results!

Josh B, had what looked to be a great weekend as well, podium on sat and ran well sunday till the the trip to the tires.  Great job as well!

Tech was thourough, stall test, weight and plate, front suspension was also checked.  Tech guys did a great job IMO, and are certainly not adversarial in the shed!  they are there to do their jobs and nothing more, I certainly appreciate the job they do and try to keep it even keel even though as a driver its often emotional when they have to make a ruling1

Random picks every day for tech!  two were moved backwards that I know of on wieghts!  this certainly means that if you are gonna game the system in qual you are running a risk as you never know what the random number is!  

RP were also checked and some were sealed if you asked the stewards to do so.  

For me now that just about every part known to man has been changed on the car, i should have little problems going forward and well my tire budget remains in tact...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48
The 1.6 was fast. It was very cold so I'm sure that helped, but I don't think anyone should be complaining anymore...

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

The sun has finally come out and looks like a great day to dry out the equipment.

Friday was gloomy and cold, but fast. All my guys set personal best times on test day.

Saturday 's 10 minute practice was dry, but very cold and we knew rain was coming. It started to rain about 30 minutes before the qualifying session, then it stopped. Reminded me of Daytona! Voytek went to the grid on drys, then changed to wets at the 2 minute warning. After setting the early pace, the track started drying and he quickly fell to the bottom of the grid. We hastily changed to dry tires in the pit lane and sent him out with 3 minutes remaining. Predictive showed he had a chance at the front row, when he came across a slower car and put him 7th. The race was full rain, Voytek got a couple spots by turn 3, got taped and fell to mid pack. made up a couple spots and got taped again in turn six. Know he is almost DFL after 3/4 of a lap. The rain master came back through the field, taking the lead with a few laps to go from Justin Hille. Great drive by Josh Bilicki, coming from the back after a poor qualifying to a podium finish.

Sunday was cold, gloomy and dry. Voytek started from pole, only lost the lead once during the entire 35 minute race.

Advanced cars also swept the T3 wins. Pat Womack drove my 2006 MX5 to the win in the rain on Saturday and Paul Kwiecinski took the flag to flag victory on Sunday in his new Global Cup car.

Caveman Kyle had a rough weekend. We did an emergency water pump and dyno on Friday night. Then had wheel bearing issues all weekend.

It is always great seeing everybody at my home track

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Most has already been said.

Congrats to Voytek----strong weekend in both the wet and dry. Kyle-sorry about all the bad luck---extra hard when you think it might be a good weekend. Frank --good to talk and learn about racing in the rain.....

Young guns Josh B.---great runs both days, Max N  great PU of a new track, Tyler B. Great start to SM racing, Spenser R. Same as Max great pu and runs at a new track. It is nice to see the next gen moving into SM and running well and smart....

Great see the rest of the normal racing crew too..  Jordan S-Kristin, Alex P., Jon and Emily Y., Beyers.....,Eric M.

My teammate J Hille..aka (SHAKE)   Great runs both days, sorry I couldn't help at the end on Sunday, but I was just happy to be there after all the rain that I cant seem to drive in.

https://youtu.be/5A0-u85aAYg?t=2

Scheiflers---Didnt get to meet you guys but nice runs and some FAST cars...

Onto MID-O

I will post my video later from Sunday....

• JRHille likes this
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Remind me not to book any vacations in Beloit Wisconsin in late April.

The weather was a drag, It was hard to socialize with the constant wind and rain.

I could have had a better weekend, but you all get tired of me saying that. I was impressed with the common sense driving, at least around me. with 34 cars in the rain Saturday, i thought for sure it would be a crash fest, folks actually drove well. Yes a few spins but no big crashes.

My biggest disappointment was not being able to drink up any of Tom Browns, beer, he had family matters to attend to in his free time so we did not get to visit much.

I will try to post my bump draft passing in the rain video.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

The last 2 weeks where chamber of commerce weather. Sunny and mid 70's. Maybe the Ohioans brought the Mud Ohio rains

Technically the track is in South Beloit Illinois

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Car Number:48
1.6 stuff aside...

Great weekend. Congrats to Voytek on his two wins, as much as I wanted to beat him on his own turf I knew it would be tough, especially in the rain.

Evan pecore is going to be a problem (in a good way) going forward as we all saw last October at mid Ohio.

Bilicki has always been there but he seems to be picking it up lately and driving very well.

Teammate bake always seems to make his way to the front regardless of starting position, great drive Sunday and always fun chatting during the race.

Frank sorry about your luck on Sunday, always enjoy hanging out with you at the track just laid back and cool and always stocked on coronas. I'm sure you'll be on your a game at mid o

Good talking to the schieflers super nice guys and that red car is damn fast, and they can drive

Had a fun time on Saturday night with Jordan smart, Eric matoy, Jon Yanca, Seth Rowley, kristen Ruster, Emily Yanca, and some of the workers at the social party.

Awesome weekend and a great turn out, learned a lot about what to do and what not to do racing in a large pack here, and how to drive the rain line, AND how to drive the H20. Great tire lots of fun just wish they lasted

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Tech insights:

John Bauer from SCCA, the CCC guy, was in attendance. Following Saturday Q1 there was some tech. I believe 5 cars where pulled in for weight and visual inspection. At least one car was found light. Mid pack cars where inspected as well as top guys. Following Saturday race we had 4 cars in the tech barn. mostly non evasive procedures; stall test and plates if they had not been sealed prior and fuel. Sunday Q2 was weights and visuals including driveshafts and VVT under car supports (which are now not allowed). And another stall test if not done on Saturday. Post Sunday race was restrictor plates, which I passed this time !!!!! Again stall tests, driveshafts, VVT under car supports, fuel sample and inspection of right front suspension and brakes. We pulled the wheel, brakes where inspected for slots/drilling and visually looked for size. Ball joints inspected, presumably for the Flyin Miata extended length ball joints. These are legal for NASA but not for SCCA. Sway bars where measured and a general visual look for anything suspicious.

Steve S. was bounced from Sunday Q2 for being light as mentioned above. Another car was bounced after Q1 for being one to 5 pounds light. After multiple weighings

Somebody was found to have only one throttle body gasket, but they passed the stall test and where told to get another gasket. Which they bought from me.

In my conversations with John Bauer, he feels the front of the pack is pretty clean after 2 seasons of extra enforcement. He is emphasizing inspection of the mid pack guys. Positions 7 to 20 as they are getting points towards Runoffs. He is also looking for new items to inspect. I discussed with him the difference in exhaust manifolds for 99-00 versus 01-05.

dave

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users