5 replies to this topic

Will Dodd

Will Dodd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1997

Last Sunday at Mid-Ohio I had a pretty hard hit and crumpled part of the frame. I talked to a shop that can straighten it out... but, I'm guessing that reinforcing this area is not legal. So, should this just be replaced instead of straightened? 

With it already being crumpled once, I'm thinking it would take a much lesser hit to bend it up again in the future if it isn't reinforced or replaced. 

Just wondering what the proper way to fix this would be. 

Thanks for your help! 

Photos: 

G9BB9x.jpg

13EN2J.jpg

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
If You plan on fixing... IMO you should pull engine and subframe... Pull first and replace beyond the crumpled metal. Many of have done this many times before. that looks to be a pretty good shot IMO.
definitely fixable, but make sure it is done right
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I agree, that is fixable by a competent frame guy. Check the firewall and trans tunnel/floor for any buckling. My rule of thumb is if the firewall, floor or trans tunnel is buckled, the car is done.

Also look for damage under the master cylinders and under the ws washer bottle.

Look at cost versus benefit. Do you like this car enough to fix it or is your money better spent on a different car. Without seeing the remains, I can not give any advise.

Dave

• Jim Drago likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Will Dodd

Will Dodd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1997

Thanks for the advice/information Jim and Dave it is greatly appreciated. 

I don't see any damage under the washer bottle or to the trans tunnel/floor or anywhere else other than what is pictured. The hit was front left so it seemed to have just crumpled the frame back and down as shown in the photos and not much else. 

Just to get an idea of the speed/severity of the impact... I looked at the data and I was going about 35 mph when the hit happened and I slowed to about 16. Just over 1G of decel. This happened in T5 (top of the hill).  

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

Will, there is a very right priced 2000 with 5 major wins for sale in the classifieds :)

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Essentially did the same thing myself back in 2013 - 48MPH hit at a 45* angle into a wall.  LF was shorter by about 12".

The shop I used noted some very minor tweaking of the flat area under the master cylinder but after the frame pull, everything worked out.  They ended up doing a "2/3s front clip" and replaced everything from the front of the left shock tower on around to the right side of the bumper & radiator support (didn't touch the right frame horn).

It wasn't cheap to repair and it was definitely something that made me question what direction I wanted to go with the class considering I could have had a '99 roller built for the quoted repair price.

Message me and I can share my thoughts with you if you'd like.

Good luck!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users