davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I have played with disconnecting the alt. It is worth about 1/1. But only for a couple miles. Then our tiny batteries start to get weak and the gains are lost. Having the alt switched actually makes sense. On during braking (closed throttle) off during accel (WOT). But easy to defeat the inspectors with another hidden bypass switch.

I would be more worried about piggyback fuel adjusters. About the size of a deck of cards, easy to hide. Easy to install.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Computers.. 

The 96-7 and 01-05 computers are almost perfect from Mazda. The gains if any would be extremely minimal.

The 99/00 computers I have seen done are no better than fuel pressure and timing.. The ONLY gain is if a flat fuel curve. None of teh boxes I have seen offer that. has any one else seen one with a truly flat fuel curve?

The alternator and WOT deal is a waste..  has anyone tested this on dyno? I have. It is a waste your time, but checking cant hurt I suppose

Something doesn't seem right with this. I have personally seen a megasquirt ECU used in a 99 and it made a world of difference.

All, please understand that I am no expert and not trying to come off as one. It just seems that something being "impossible to tech" is an issue and should be looked at. I understand that relocation is illegal. Its illegal because we say it is illegal. I am suggesting an approved relocate pigtail that has the added benefit of being replaceable and with new connectors on it.

But let me re ask the question; is there really nothing that can be done about ECUs?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Danny, I have not seen anyone other than Panic do the ECU relocation. Maybe others have, but I have not seen it. Is relocating the wire harness a form of modifying the harness. 

Not advocating, just offering a viewpoint!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Many years ago the SMAC (myself, Drago, Fowler, Meathead) learned about tampered ECU's. Our goal was to find a way to test for them. Except for visual tests, no method of testing was acceptable to the top brass. That is how the slotted timing wheel and fuel pressure regulator came to be allowed.

Good bad or ugly, that is the facts

• Mike Collins and Jim Drago like this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I have played with disconnecting the alt. It is worth about 1/1. But only for a couple miles. Then our tiny batteries start to get weak and the gains are lost. Having the alt switched actually makes sense. On during braking (closed throttle) off during accel (WOT). But easy to defeat the inspectors with another hidden bypass switch.

I would be more worried about piggyback fuel adjusters. About the size of a deck of cards, easy to hide. Easy to install.

my testing showed less than 1/2 hp, really nothing I could substantiate. If someone felt it is worth 1/1 the switch may make sense? Again, can't hurt to check.  In a 99 up car you will far more harm than good dicking with the voltage in the car IMO

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

In a 99 up car you will far more harm than good dicking with the voltage in the car IMO

AGREED

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I may not feel good about it but facts are facts and I can deal with that. If there is nothing to be done with ECUs..............so be it.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Danny, I have not seen anyone other than Panic do the ECU relocation. Maybe others have, but I have not seen it. Is relocating the wire harness a form of modifying the harness. 

Not advocating, just offering a viewpoint!!!!!!!!!!!

There is another prep shop tht does it as well. The VVT cars make that very easy as it does not have the one connector that limits the relocation on the 99/00 cars. It is not "legal' but there is no performance advantage obviously unless you need easy access to it for some reason :) I have never needed to access any of my VVT computers, once they are installed they are never touched again.  This really doesnt bother me, but I think unless a rule is changed, this would be non compliant. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

lots of ECU swapping is happening on the dyno to find the one that works for you.

IMO Not true on the VVT or the 99/00 

Anyone who believes so is kidding themselves unless they are are modyifing ECU's. If you have a 99/05 ecu that is fed emission and not an auto.. waste of time less you have a VERY rare bad one.  Dynos can make you think that you are seeing gains that are not really there. I hear all the same stories of X being better than Y etc, all BS IMO.. 

• av8tor likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

VVT Intake: 

Porting look for ported and blasted intakes.. not easy to see, but it is obvious if looking at an untouched version

Butterflies verify they are there  make sure they arent thinned and replated same goes for shaft 

VVT exhaust manifolds: 

I have seen the lower flange cut off and welded up about 1/4-3/8 up which increases diameter of output quite a bit and not noticeable unless looking for it.

heads:

All that was in head gate and rules rewrite and porting of SS and covering, see this a lot. We created and sent an example to Bauer. 

valves: thinned valve stems, thinned heads and back cut valves and then coated to look original.. compare to new OEM 

cams : we need to use cam doctors, we need to check for coated cams, check location and modification of locating pins

cam sprockets: installed correctly on cam, not modified for cam timing

timing belt tensioners, time belt tension bolt modifications

lifter buckets : coatings

plug OBD scanner in and check water temp and air temp values with the scanner

check fuel more often

pull of hubs and pull one apart, check for ceramic balls

weigh wheels/tires more often

Really good points.  But I love beating guys with $400 worth of ceramic ball bearings.  

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Dave, In my very non expert opinion the ECU is the biggest potential to cheat with the most gained. I haven't ever seen a good comprehensive suggestion to cover the ECUs. The past weekend our ECU stickers were checked to ensure they match the model year. But what stops someone from swapping cases and such? I still think that the best way to solve ECUs is to allow ECU relocates that allow easy access and to have a distributed ECU program at the event. There is some cost in doing this and there could be some minor issues with dyno tuning and such. But to worry about U joints while ignoring the ECU doesn't seem right. I don't have the answer but do have a concern.

Thanks

The ECU is simple, you implement an ECU claiming rule.  Occasionally tech collects 5 compatible ECUs on Fri night and shuffles them then gives them back.  

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I feel the u-joint should be legal. I really don't have much too add to the tech list. As a full time engine builder who has seen inside of almost every builders engines the only "cheats" I've seen have been
Lower valve seat angle greater than 70*
Short side radius slightly behind current rule
1 set of coated Pistons
Vvt heads with the wrong intake valves
Intake valves with tiny back cuts on them
the newly clarified radius deshroud cuts
And timing belt pulley or bolt manipulated.
Oh and a set of cams that just looked different didn't measure them so I can't say for sure they were modded.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

The ECU is simple, you implement an ECU claiming rule.  Occasionally tech collects 5 compatible ECUs on Fri night and shuffles them then gives them back.  

doesnt work with VVT as it is coded to key and theft module

• Mike Collins likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

good point, forgot about that...

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I like the double blind folder idea.  I would just hate to see the chance of 1 car being checked for 4 things and then only one other person getting checked for one thing.  So maybe after you get picked 2 times, it goes to the next car? I don't know. 

Going on what I think Jim is saying, I am all for new/different checks at tech.  But, we also need to make sure that these aren't nit picky rules that have no possible intent for realized performance advantage.   Would hate to see guys get tossed for dumb rules that don't make you go faster. Great example, Cory Collum getting a qualifying time at the runoffs tossed because he didn't have a bolt in the hard top bracket.  Bauer couldn't put the piece of paper under the hardtop, and agreed he didn't think it was a performance advantage, but said it was "different from everyone else" so he tossed his time. 

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:98

Write the items to be teched on individual pieces of paper and throw them in a hat.

Those being held in tech, pick from the hat.....

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Write the items to be teched on individual pieces of paper and throw them in a hat.

Those being held in tech, pick from the hat.....

This basicly my double blind draw.

I like the double blind folder idea.  I would just hate to see the chance of 1 car being checked for 4 things and then only one other person getting checked for one thing.  So maybe after you get picked 2 times, it goes to the next car? I don't know. 

Going on what I think Jim is saying, I am all for new/different checks at tech.  But, we also need to make sure that these aren't nit picky rules that have no possible intent for realized performance advantage.   Would hate to see guys get tossed for dumb rules that don't make you go faster. Great example, Cory Collum getting a qualifying time at the runoffs tossed because he didn't have a bolt in the hard top bracket.  Bauer couldn't put the piece of paper under the hardtop, and agreed he didn't think it was a performance advantage, but said it was "different from everyone else" so he tossed his time. 

We got hasseled at Blackhawk Regional for ballast bolts that do not meet the rule of 1/2 grade 8. They where 12mm bolts going into factory seat brackets. 12mm is 0.472 inches. That is 0.028 smaller. i will add this to a separate letter.

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

How does a spark plug relate to passing the whistle? Plug is removed for the test.

I haven't seen a response to this so I'll speculate since it sounds like something we have looked at. Perhaps the wording is misleading. If you run a plug which extends further into the chamber and/or has a smaller internal "gap" it will decrease the chamber volume and therefore increase actual compression ratio when runnning, but with it replaced by the Whistler adapter the measured chamber is larger so the compression reads lower. There are several risks with this and to get more than a very tiny change in compression would require a conspicuously different plug. In the end you could do more harm than good and if noticed a quick calculation could be done to factor it in anyway.
  • Richard Astacio likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Here's an easy one, check for different offsets for left and right wheels when at a track with most turns going one way like lime rock.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I had heard about this when I first started but never since until this weekend...it was rumored there was tire softening(chemical) going on. True or not  it made me wonder. 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users