Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I had heard about this when I first started but never since until this weekend...it was rumored there was tire softening(chemical) going on. True or not  it made me wonder. 

http://www.speedwaym...PKuIaAhLG8P8HAQ

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I had heard about this when I first started but never since until this weekend...it was rumored there was tire softening(chemical) going on. True or not  it made me wonder. 

Oh ya!!!! Look a little deeper Ron, you can procure apparatus to efficiently do the job.

Short story from early 90's when Karting. We had to race with Bridgestone YBX tires, lasted for ever because ROCK HARD. The local hot shoe sold his private mix for $18.00 per pint. Gave a small bottle of the private mix to the guy who sold company I worked for paint supplies. He had his lap test and the results were some % this and some % that, but the lab guy was puzzled by the very very small % of water. My response, washed the bottle and apparently didn't totally dry the bottle.   

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

There are about a dozen tire treatments. I had a lengthy conversation at lunch at PRI a few years ago with some NASCAR boys that said was worth 1/2 second on a 1/4 mile track. There are also sniffers that can detect the treatments.

Anything else?

I plan to do a summary of this tonight. Then post my letter to CRB showing summary tomorrow

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

There are about a dozen tire treatments. I had a lengthy conversation at lunch at PRI a few years ago with some NASCAR boys that said was worth 1/2 second on a 1/4 mile track. There are also sniffers that can detect the treatments.

Anything else?

I plan to do a summary of this tonight. Then post my letter to CRB showing summary tomorrow

Dave

The sniffers can't detect treatment. They can only detect chemicals in a tire. Brake clean can set the sniffer off. We had these in karting and still treated tires with no detection. The only way to detect treatment is sending tire samples to get tested.

• Bench Racer likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Anyone want to start checking exact original version of the brake bias valve? There are multiple physically interchangeable parts with different F/R specs and I know it had been a very common "upgrade" some years back.
  • Mike Collins likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Bumpstops have become a hugely important tuning tool in many forms of racing. I have no specific information that anyone is messing with them in SM but I have observed cars which seem to corner in ways I could not explain if the standard SM kit was used. Possibly spring rates since apparently those are seldom if ever checked (already added above), and possibly shocks though that would be pretty bold outside the known guidelines. So it might be interesting to document more about the FatCat kit and start scrutinizing those parts occasionally.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

So it might be interesting to document more about the FatCat kit and start scrutinizing those parts occasionally.

The first 3/4 inch of the Fat Cat bump stop has a 75 pound rate, after the first 3/4 inch compression the rate is instantly to infinity. Trust me, using more than the 3/4 inch bump stop travel gets your attention in a hurry.

Oh and for the folks that like to pick on my a$$, I'm the guy that worked with SCCA/Shaikh of Fat Cat to enlarge the I.D. of the isolator so the shock body top could not jam against or jam inside the isolator. The jam occurred at approx  3/4 inch of bump stop travel.  

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

The sniffers can't detect treatment. They can only detect chemicals in a tire. Brake clean can set the sniffer off. We had these in karting and still treated tires with no detection. The only way to detect treatment is sending tire samples to get tested.

I believe a durometer could be used to test the tires.  Anything softer than x at 78 degrees and they fail.  Not sure what x is per Hoosier or Toyo but it should be measurable.

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Because a durometer checker is not consistent here is a fool proof tire soak agent checker. :bigsquaregrin: 

In March 2004 Sinbad jumped out of the SUV of his handler, Scott Edmonds, and went to work. The 10-year-old Belgian Malinois is coming out of retirement from his work as a bomb-sniffing dog to help the track. He has an official "hard card" identification (No. K9-1) and is a fixture in the pit area.

The idea came from Ed Branch, who runs the tire program at the track. Branch contacted Interquest Detection Canines in Pasadena after theorizing that if dogs can sniff out bombs, drugs, and other illicit materials, they might also be able to detect illegal tires. Edmonds confirmed that it could be done, and Sinbad was selected for the task. The dog went through countless training sessions to differentiate between official and illegal tires. Tests were conducted on hot afternoons and cool nights. Sinbad's final exam grade was 100 percent.

On the night of his first visit to the track's inspection line, Sinbad sat at three cars and followed that with a post-race sitting. After track officials visited the teams, there were assorted confessions of illegal activity. Sinbad's record is intact.

Racers may not consider him man's best friend, but his nose knows when something is amiss.

Like all tech officials, who usually work like a dog on race nights, he's just doing his job.-Larry Jewett

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

A new job for Bentley

• Danny Steyn likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

I heard rumblings that if you stick a suspect tire into a trash bag, seal it, and after 24 hours the bag noticeably changes in inflation, the tire has been doped.

Also I've heard stories about the cars leaving fat black patches while rolling slowly onto the oval track, haha.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Having owned quite a few of these cars and driven a few other people's cars, I will say cheater shocks are alot more prevelant than most think... recently drove one that felt like what I would think and f1 should feel like on corner entry although shortly after entry the car plowed like one of my companies snow plows... so while cheated up it is not neccesarily an advantage twice I have seen cheater shocks cause terrible handling, is it possible you could figure out a setup to go with those shocks maybe but can tell you the normal setup that works with stock shocks sure as heck doesn't work with them.
  • Alberto likes this

K. Webb