Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

You guys need to give the SMAC a high five

This weekend at Watkins Glen, Ralle Rookey, a really talented driver with a well prepared 1.6 proved that a 1.6 could contend for the win. Ralle was there at the front every session. I was around him in my VVT a lot, and his car is as strong as mine in some areas, better in others, and worse in others.

This was my experience running with him. Maybe others that were there can chime in on theirs.

• Through the Carousel, Laces, and Toe, his car was blisteringly quick carrying 180lbs less weight. He was flat through the carousel when leading, I was lifting a lot just to keep it under me.
  • It has good top end speed, but appears to hit the wall when leading in 5th gear going up the hill to the Bus Stop. 
  • If he gets held up in a turn he is hosed, but he knows how to avoid this happening
  • It makes a very good pusher when running behind, more than I would have expected (he was surprised too)
  • It was a bit skittish through the bus stop, he might have been too low and getting the bump stops
  • Do not know if it had any heat soak issues but I never saw it lay down even when running nose to tail in the qually races.

Overall I was pretty impressed at how competitive it was. Unfortunately Ralle was pretty down after the race and said that he made a few bad decisions in the race and said he should have worked better with some of the drivers around him. At the Glen, you cannot move forward without help.

• Johnny D, FTodaro and Richard Astacio like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

-P-

-P-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:31

I agree and If you check the Texas standings 4 out of the top 11 are 1.6's and Gale would be a lot higher had he not taken a break after TWS. Vaughn, Alex, and Gale have all poled, won, or at least podiumed many times this year in their 1.6's at tracks of all types.

Shaffer

SM #31 - Texas

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
This is very encouraging! Thanks for sharing.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Thanks Danny. Remind us of the weight differences between NASA and SCCA for each car.

The following is not an attempt to argue that you are wrong in the final conclusion, but certainly to question some of the specifics behind that conclusion ang get additional info.

Why do you assume that the weight difference was the major factor in the corners where he was faster? Has anyone yet quantified even the theoretical advantage for the weight difference? (It is not simply proportional)

If his was skittish and twitchy in places because it was on the stops, perhaps being that low also contributed to his better speed through other turns where there was not an abrupt weight transition.

You collect a lot of data, at what RPM is your car where he struggled up the hill?

Being a good draft pusher is not a surprise. The lead car is doing all the work pushing the air out of the way (which is 99.9% of what keeps you from doing Mach 3) so unless hopelessly low on power it should be as good as any.

Assuming that all of your observations and assumptions are correct, if you attended a high-stakes event where equally prepped cars were supplied by a top builder, which would you choose and why? Better yet, you will be given the car for a full season and have lots of pre-season test time, but you must choose in advance.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Well I for one am glad to hear the upped compression, light flywheel, MegaSquirt piggyback, NB suspension, and 1.8 swap, has arguably brought the 1.6 back into an arguable state of arguable parity!

• Jim Drago and tra68 like this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Agree, parity is looking very good right now, thank you to the SMAC for making it happen.

Would love to see Ralle's onboard footage, or some of Danny's onboard to watch the strengths and weaknesses of each car at that track.

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I also agree that the parity is looking good. Thank you SMAC. We had 20 + cars at the Runoffs within one second. including the 1.6. As a practical matter, I think its going to be difficult to get the class behind any other proposal to give it more at this point. I think there is some discussion about taking a close look at the NA1.8 but beyond that, I wish the SMAC would come out with a statement to Freeze the rules for the next three years like we did before. otherwise the debate never ends.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Frank, I agree with a lot of things you say but it makes no sense to "lock the rules for 3 years to end debate". People will debate regardless and I'm willing to trust that the SMAC doesn't need to tie their own hands to avoid making unecessary changes.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL

While I cannot talk about specifics we are working on the NA 1.8, hoping to give it a bone.

With regard to NASA Watkins Glen video, I will post as soon as I can.

I would like to hear from some of the others who raced around Ralle at the Glen

• Bruce Wilson likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Though I'm a firm believer there was not a huge difference (miniscule at best)prior to the latests round of "bones" , where it helped the most was between the ears of a lot of 1.6 drivers! On the west coast a lot of 1.6 drivers hung on to their cars and have continued to improve the rest of their game! Hands down some of the fastest laps in a 1.6( in recent years)have been set down at the west coast tracks this year. It has been an equal weapon given equal driving talent!

Parity will never be achieved at any track that requires 5 gear for any length of time. The lower rpm power and aero of the NB(by itself not taking drafting into consideration)is difficult to overcome. But I like what has been done and anyone who can drive, setup a car, pick the best tires and has a solid motor has ZERO excuses at most tracks in a 1.6!!!!!!

I will take a 1.8 bone if you're offering Danny :) Hint...weight!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
I am a little baffled why everyone forgets the 1.6 NA has a SUPERIOR differential. That diff helps it rotate through the corners and drive off much better. Even though it has less torque it delivers what it has much more efficiently. Spent a few laps around Ralle, first of all I consider him a great driver to use as a benchmark for the car. He knows how to keep that car rolling even when slightly held up in traffic. The biggest weakness I saw in the car and driver all week was that he didn't have a team mate to work with. When he had a tow or push he could absolutely compete as could all the cars at the front.

The SMAC has gone a long way to making the 1.6 better. IMHO they have the car as good as it should be any better and it will be the CTH and we don't want to start that crap again. Let's face it MAZDA, the major sponsor of our class doesn't want it's 25 year old cars winning. The NC is coming and it will destroy the 1.6 for good as it is almost at its peak of development. Maybe the class splits at that point but enjoy what has been accomplished today.

Scheiflers,

If you want to be competitive in a 1.6 build new ones from scratch, yours have been raced too much and need to be retired. There is a reason the top dogs build new cars every 1-2 years and it's not because they like pissing away money. They like winning.
  • tylerbrown likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Scheiflers,

If you want to be competitive in a 1.6 build new ones from scratch, yours have been raced too much and need to be retired. There is a reason the top dogs build new cars every 1-2 years and it's not because they like pissing away money. They like winning.

We've been discussing that very topic for several weeks.  It's tempting to blame the cars. Very tempting.  But it seems a lot more likely to be the drivers.  We ran with the leaders at the 2 tracks we know best but we were off the pace at tracks we have far less time at.  Most people seem to agree that the 1.6 is more difficult to drive consistently at 10/10ths.  If that's a major factor at tracks where we struggle then building a new 1.6 probably won't help much and we just need more time at those tracks.  On the other hand, building a new NB might get better results (better consistency at 10/10ths) even if our talent does not improve quickly at those same tracks.  Not sure what yet, but we're going to try something.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

You guys need to give the SMAC a high five

This weekend at Watkins Glen, Ralle Rookey, a really talented driver with a well prepared 1.6 proved that a 1.6 could contend for the win. Ralle was there at the front every session. I was around him in my VVT a lot, and his car is as strong as mine in some areas, better in others, and worse in others.

This was my experience running with him. Maybe others that were there can chime in on theirs.

• Through the Carousel, Laces, and Toe, his car was blisteringly quick carrying 180lbs less weight. He was flat through the carousel when leading, I was lifting a lot just to keep it under me.
  • It has good top end speed, but appears to hit the wall when leading in 5th gear going up the hill to the Bus Stop. 
  • If he gets held up in a turn he is hosed, but he knows how to avoid this happening
  • It makes a very good pusher when running behind, more than I would have expected (he was surprised too)
  • It was a bit skittish through the bus stop, he might have been too low and getting the bump stops
  • Do not know if it had any heat soak issues but I never saw it lay down even when running nose to tail in the qually races.

Overall I was pretty impressed at how competitive it was. Unfortunately Ralle was pretty down after the race and said that he made a few bad decisions in the race and said he should have worked better with some of the drivers around him. At the Glen, you cannot move forward without help.

This probably wont go over well ... but I have kept pretty quiet on this so far..

While I agree with having parity, I read this as a VERY arrogant statement.  Mostly because if we are using this instance as "parity" but we chose to ignore this in 2012 when Todd won majors races and the Sprints in 2012.. But then we didnt have parity?  :noidea: Now we have a good but less accomplished driver that runs relatively well, but doesnt even finish on the podium and we have parity? This is a NEVER ending debate and we will never have "parity" to those who felt we didnt have it before.

Here are some facts to throw out there... 

Tom and Steve have raced a long time and I consider them unbiased, smart and friends... they started back when I did and then took a break for several years.  I never stopped racing.. During the first stint, I dont ever remember Tom or Steve finishing on my bumper at any track. This year, Tom did finish on my bumper and all who saw that video could see I drove my ass off to stay ahead and there was no monkey business. Did they get better? I get worse? Tires?

or did Blue printed spindles, shock hats and Str make that much difference in their first stint in SM? Could be some of all combined, IDK

Ralle ran his 99 at watkins in 14 or 15,  I believe and did pretty well, but seems like he was more competitive in his 1.6 than he was in his 99.  Why? no idea.. You tell me. 

Kohler spent a full year building his 99 and documented it well on the site.. yet he decided he would be more competitive in a 1.6 with a stock motor and a Stewart head at the Runoffs so he refreshed an old 1.6 a few weeks before the runoffs. It appeared to at least me that he was more competitive in his 1.6. By data, the 1.6 should be .4 faster at Mid Ohio according to Jason and why he chose it.  .4 is a tremendous amount when you consider the qualifying times. Yes I know the 1.6 falls off ( which it doesnt any longer) and harder to drive arguments. Those arguments are fading with a much better diff at a track where we are all fighting tremendous wheelspin and the 1.6 is not. 

I wasn't convinced that we had a problem before, I am certain we don't now... the cars will never be the same but they are all very close. Pull the plate and go to 2400 already on the 1.8 and call it good for awhile.  Its time to just drive the dam cars!

• mellen, JRHille, Chuck Caldwell and 2 others like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991

One Scheifler build a 1.6, other Scheifler build a 99. Discuss parity with eachother. Compare data with eachother. Whoever uses CAPITAL letters the most on the internet, has the slower car hahaha.  :hatchet:  :hatchet:

My parity state space equations:

[1.6 / Dog]

NB = Dog

[Dog / 1.8na]

This theory was confirmed for me when Tom? posted the entire race data from St. Louis Majors, comparing Toms vs Drago speed data traces. On Average! for the longest straight, The red line starts slower, and on average, ends faster. For me, the beneficiary goes to the red one curve. As seen here:

post-5666-0-50702800-1464317693.png

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Eric, that is a very convenient interpretation, but physics are against it. If a car spends the entire race following an equal or faster car, and enters a long straight a bit slower and with a gap, the speed trace will look EXACTLY like the one you have offered up as proof. It's called a draft, and it always benefits the following/closing car far more than the lead car.

This is exactly the kind of thing that makes someone trying to be open minded and objective nuts.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

bahhhh.....

• tylerbrown likes this

K. Webb