Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

And he's outta here !!,

In response to the incident that took place at the end of the American Sedan race during the 2016 National Championship Runoffs, the SCCA Board of Directors voted unanimously to suspend indefinitely the membership of Tom Sloe, driver of car No. 156 in the American Sedan class.

In accordance with SCCA Bylaw Article II Section 4.d, “The Board of Directors or the governing body of a Regular Member's Region may suspend a Member at any time for infraction of any Club rule or any other cause if the suspending body deems the action in the best interests of the Club.

“The suspending body shall immediately notify a Member who has been suspended, in writing, of the suspension,” Article II Section 4.d states.  “The suspended Member shall then be entitled to a reasonable opportunity to be heard, in person or through a representative, by the Board of Directors or a committee appointed by it. The Board of Directors may thereafter continue for a definite term, terminate, or rescind the suspension, or expel the Member, and its decision shall be final. In addition, if the Board of Directors is the original suspending body, and a hearing is held prior to any action, then the Board of Directors may suspend for a definite term or expel the Member without affording a second opportunity to be heard.”

Per the SCCA Bylaw, Sloe can request a hearing on the suspension.  If that occurs, the club’s Board of Directors will select a hearing board to address the matter.  If a hearing takes place, findings will be published in a future edition of SCCA Fastrack News.

http://www.scca.com/...irectors-action

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

For those not aware, below is a short of what  happened.

Near the race end, Sloe stopped/waited a full lap to punt McDermid. Also be aware something occurred shortly after the green flag between these two. Intentional and he received due justice.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Someone needs to pass that on to NASA as they need to know that this guy is not safe.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

I'm rather interested in what happened at the start.

• Erik Hardy likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

I'm rather interested in what happened at the start.

Low % move going into the right hander after madness. sloe went straight in, they touched fenders and he spun the car over the curb

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Any have a link to video from the start?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

I was a couple of rows back.  Andy passed before turn 6 and Sloe locked up all four and blasted him in the right side door.  Andy continued and Sloe spun.  There were more instances than just the Andy deal.  Sloe hit me twice and I filed paper on him (first time in 41 years of SCCA racing) for the intentional hit on me on the back straight, the same lap he hit Andy.  He hit me, then drove down the back straight, pulled over and waited for Andy on the hill.  My protest was dis-allowed as I had not down loaded my video.  I would have appealed to the CoA after seeing my video, but by then I found out about all the RFAs working through the system for Andy's deal and thought it wasn't necessary.  They gave him the max allowable penalty at the event.  One year suspension of license and loss of three positions.  Andy appealed that the penalty was not severe enough.  I, along with several others, testified at the CoA and showed various videos.  The CoA submitted the case to the BoD for additional penalty, which is where we are now.  

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

So how did his excellent driving go unnoticed this past year ?

That's were this record keeping proposal is coming from ?

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

Tom was under a driver review last year after a couple people in the class were unhappy with him. He kept his nose clean this season leading up to the runoffs where he finally blew a gasket.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Ha! Tom was my instructor at my first drivers school. We didn't discuss the park and punt maneuver. Must be in the advanced training course.
  • Derrick Ambrose likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

David Brown

David Brown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:Ohio Valley Region
  • Car Number:08

Tom showed up at Mid Ohio yesterday at the PDX we had as crew... We were told Thursday evening he was coming and to issue a "cold pass". I was told he was compliant with that. I assume he's there today as the car he was crewing for was an AS mustang.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I can see why Tom was upset with Andy (I think) getting lose but...

Start of the race around 5 mins

https://www.scca.com/videos/2029758

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Nick Feathers post/video on FB

https://www.facebook...08156254262995/

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Sloe got caught snoozing at the green flag and three corners later he put his nose where it didn't belong and he Sloe paid the price. It's pretty safe to know where McDermdi would have wound up had Sloe got total inside him, bouncing off the drivers left tire wall. Please remember all classes do not race as cleanly (lately) as SM. As fast as Sloe was to come from DFL to third a couple laps from the end, had he used his brains he would have had a podium finish. BUT, as Wheel posted he Wheel got blasted by Sloe on the back straight.

• MPR22 likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

How far up along side does he(Sloe) need to be for that "racing room" need to take effect ?

Andy hit the late apex and didn't need to, even though that's the line their running.

He could of easily run a car width over. Yea, I know he was defending.

J~

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

How far up along side does he(Sloe) need to be for that "racing room" need to take effect ?

Andy hit the late apex and didn't need to, even though that's the line their running.

He could of easily run a car width over. Yea, I know he was defending.

J~

Good question.  While most would advise that a pass there isn't usually a good decision, if a car does get inside you there then both drivers have some obligation for racing room, right?

I'm not defending the actions of the driver in the yellow car, just raising the point.

Interesting that an older model Mustang had the pole.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

And he had them covered until a late race mechanical ill. Watched the race at the carousel having a breakfast sandwich. McDermid smoked his brakes every lap entering the  carousel. Found it interesting McDermid shifted maybe 1/3-1/2 way down front straight and didn't hear other Mustangs doing the same, neither the older Mustang or Sloe.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Good question.  While most would advise that a pass there isn't usually a good decision, if a car does get inside you there then both drivers have some obligation for racing room, right?

I'm not defending the actions of the driver in the yellow car, just raising the point.

On the contact at that the start.. Pobst did a talk on this at the convention a few years ago a few years ago. He called that area the triangle of despair.. or something similiar.  You cant just stuff it in under braking and getteh slightest over lap and expect racing rom. Once the other driver ( Mcdermid) intiated his turn in, IMO it was his corner.   I am sure, looking back and knowing there history, Andy would have never swung that wide with Sloe behind him.  

I really want to get so if i can get randy to do that talk here, it was a good one

• JRHille likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Watched the race at the carousel having a breakfast sandwich.

Egg, cheese, ham or bacon?  Please don't leave us hanging here.

• JRHille likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I haven't really looked at this incident that much so please forgive me if what I am about to say is a little off base for this specific situation.

Ive been thinking about starts. Probably because I am about to attend the Western Championships and thinking about my start strategy. How do you guys feel about no passing until after the start/finish line when the green is thrown? Do you think that would be safer than being able to pass as soon as the green is thrown? Would it stop people at the back from laying back and getting a run to move up to spots they don't deserve and causing trouble? Would it make it easier for the starter to throw green earlier and help to stretch the filed out before passing is allowed?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users