• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Tobias Nyström

Tobias Nyström

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Im a Miata racer in sweden, building my first racecar. I have done my car keyless by fitting my own switches for systems, ignition and start button

I have also removed the steering lock following these instructions: http://forum.specmia...4462;p=0#000000

My question is now this, is there a possibility that the steering lock will engage during driving (running over a bump), as the key is always in the off-position? (no key in ignition)

(I can't remove the whole thing, as the car needs to street legal in sweden for transport to and from racetrack)

Cheers
Tobias

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:63

I have also removed the steering lock following these instructions: http://forum.specmia...4462;p=0#000000

My question is now this, is there a possibility that the steering lock will engage during driving (running over a bump), as the key is always in the off-position? (no key in ignition)

(I can't remove the whole thing, as the car needs to street legal in sweden for transport to and from racetrack)

Not sure I follow... If you drilled that hole, and you pulled out the spring and ball bearing, you no longer have a steering lock. If you did that, you should be able to move the wheel whenever you want.

Hope that helped!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
Did you fill the hole with silicone when you disabled the steering lock? If not then yes it may be possible for a piece of debris from the removal to lock the steering wheel.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Tobias Nyström

Tobias Nyström

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi.

Thanks for your answers.

I removed the spring, nothing else, and put a piece of tape over the hole.

Still using the key until I'm sure that it's safe. How does the "ball bearing" look like?

Regards
Tobias

(Late reply as I never got any mail)

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

I removed the spring, nothing else, and put a piece of tape over the hole.

How does the "ball bearing" look like?

(Late reply as I never got any mail)

If you were to take out the plate that you drilled out of the casting the locking lug will come out. Then put the plate back in place & hold with a roll pin or pressed in steel pin installed at a diagonal direction. Don't remember exactly what it looked like inside any longer but that is the process I used.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tobias Nyström

Tobias Nyström

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

If you were to take out the plate that you drilled out of the casting the locking lug will come out. Then put the plate back in place & hold with a roll pin or pressed in steel pin installed at a diagonal direction. Don't remember exactly what it looked like inside any longer but that is the process I used.

Thanks David.

if I remove the full plate I probably will see and understand how the steering lock works?

as this is a race car, I don't care that mush about appearance, so tape will do to keep dirt out of the assembly ;)

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Thanks David.

if I remove the full plate I probably will see and understand how the steering lock works?

as this is a race car, I don't care that mush about appearance, so tape will do to keep dirt out of the assembly ;)

How do you pull the whole plate out?  Really tiny slide-hammer? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users