Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38
MAZDA, SVRA TEAM FOR NEW VINTAGE RACING CHAMPIONSHIP
“Mazda Miata Heritage Cup” Five-Race Series Offers New Entry Point For Aspiring Racers

The Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA) announced today a relationship with one of the most formidable manufacturer brands in all motorsports, Mazda, to jointly organize a new class of vintage racing. The cars are first generation 1.6-liter spec Miatas of 1990 to 1993 vintage and will compete in a five-race points championship named the “Mazda Miata Heritage Cup.” Each weekend will crown a Mazda Miata Heritage Cup race event winner. The races will be given a distinct class but will be presented on SVRA event weekends at Auto Club Speedway, Road America, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Portland International Raceway and Virginia International Raceway.

“This new offering associates us with a hugely respected brand in Mazda Motorsports but also opens the door to a terrific new entry point in vintage racing,” said Tony Parella, SVRA president and CEO. “We now have an affordable, more recent vintage race car that a younger generation driver can relate to. Younger drivers remember them and once they enter our sport they can build from there. As we infuse new blood into our sport it is also a nice tie to our recently announced driver school and accelerated path to competition licensing.”

The new vintage spec Mazda Miata Heritage Cup is the latest enhancement to what the SVRA calls its season of motorsports festivals where fans yearning for the days of wide variety in car design and engine noises can have their fill. The new Mazda Miata Heritage Cup will have its own distinct races as do other run groups such as the Historic Trans Am cars. Professional Trans Am also shares the stage with the SVRA at various points throughout the season. The festival format of America’s premier vintage racing series with cars spanning 100 years of history also frequently includes Motostalgia car auctions, car shows and music concerts by iconic bands.

Mazda Motorsports will provide support resources to the SVRA in organizing the Mazda Miata Heritage Cup events and season championship. The Mazda races will run with the SVRA at the following 2017 events: April 28-30, Auto Club Speedway; May 18-21, Road America; June 22-25, Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course; July 27-30, Portland International Raceway and September 21-24, Virginia International Raceway.

“We are pleased to support the SVRA in this enhancement to their race weekends,” said John Doonan, director for Mazda North American Operations. “Mazda Motorsports has a long history dating back to the 1960’s, so it is only fitting that we work with the SVRA. The Miata is a well-proven, time-tested racing platform and cars are widely available as well as parts. We know racers will enjoy the experience they have in the Miata and with the SVRA, who has impressed us with their growth and expertise in organizing racing events.”

Mazda Motorsports boasts the most comprehensive auto racing development ladder system of any auto manufacturer in the world. The Mazda Road to 24 program offers a number of scholarships to advance drivers up the sports car racing ladder, beginning with the Global MX-5 Cup series and culminating with the Mazda Prototype team. The Mazda Road to Indy is a similar program that includes Mazda-powered categories of USF2000, Pro Mazda and Indy Lights. In grassroots road racing, more Mazdas race on any given weekend in North America than any other manufacturer. Mazda is also the title sponsor of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, California.
  • Tom OPM and B(Kuch)Kucera45 like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
bench perfect for you. Vintage car and driver combination. ;)
  • Jim Drago, Sean - MiataCage, Mike Colangelo and 2 others like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
The value of a used 1.6 just went up.
  • Mike Colangelo likes this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

yep they are now worth $5001.00

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 and Danica Davison like this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

bench perfect for you. Vintage car and driver combination. ;)

:rotfl: The TRUTH ^ does not hurt. BUT, I'd need Drago's recreational $$$ to enter the five races. :bigsquaregrin:

SVRA racing true story. At Road America a few years ago I was helping a friend and the head of the SVRA or head for that SVRA race came to our paddock and said race group competitors were complaining the little old 510 was making the big bad Porsche's look bad. YUP, it was true, because the Porsche's were parking it in the corners. 

• Alberto likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Number:35
I'm not doing it if they make me buff out my dings and dents.! Seriously though, as an owner of a 1.6 it might make me think about going to those tracks.

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

I'm interested, in theory.  Eight years of 101-Dalmatians-Meets-Ben-Hur was about one year too much for me.  It might be fun to occasionally campaign a nice $12K car that doesn't look like a repeatedly crumpled/uncrumpled burrito wrapper, doesn't have the steering effort of an F-250 that tossed its P/S belt ("Hello, NB!") and that you can run for seasons at a time with little maintenance and repair ("Looking at you, everything European ever made!").

Hopefully the fields are healthy, but not so big that it invites "us" to start ruining it as soon as possible.

Where's my old 1.6?  And how many years do I have before the whiny NB Owner's Union comes in and ruins the class again? :P

• Alberto likes this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I'm interested, in theory.  Eight years of 101-Dalmatians-Meets-Ben-Hur was about one year too much for me.  It might be fun to occasionally campaign a nice $12K car that doesn't look like a repeatedly crumpled/uncrumpled burrito wrapper, doesn't have the steering effort of an F-250 that tossed its P/S belt ("Hello, NB!") and that you can run for seasons at a time with little maintenance and repair ("Looking at you, everything European ever made!").

Hopefully the fields are healthy, but not so big that it invites "us" to start ruining it as soon as possible.

Where's my old 1.6?  And how many years do I have before the whiny NB Owner's Union comes in and ruins the class again? :P

Now I know you have a bug up your ass for the Germans, but I've had about enough of your pissy comments about European cars and BMWs in particular.  I have an '07 335i with a bit of a tune on it that at 90K+ miles has still had only 1 brake job, 1 battery replaced after 9 years and only a couple of inexpensive electrical repairs.  It runs circles around anything built in Ohio and drives like the day it was new.  Your animosity may be rooted in some on-track experience in something like a Saab which of course will break sitting in a garage or possibly you are simply frustrated today that your racist baseball team in Ohio is on the verge of an epic collapse against a team that hasn't won the world series since the first model T's came off the "assembly line". 

• Jim Drago and luvin_the_rings like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Now I know you have a bug up your ass for the Germans, but I've had about enough of your pissy comments about European cars and BMWs in particular.  I have an '07 335i with a bit of a tune on it that at 90K+ miles has still had only 1 brake job, 1 battery replaced after 9 years and only a couple of inexpensive electrical repairs.  It runs circles around anything built in Ohio and drives like the day it was new.  Your animosity may be rooted in some on-track experience in something like a Saab which of course will break sitting in a garage or possibly you are simply frustrated today that your racist baseball team in Ohio is on the verge of an epic collapse against a team that hasn't won the world series since the first model T's came off the "assembly line". 

You are 15k miles overdue for replacing the whole cooling system, perhaps you can shop for it while watching World Cup reruns tonight, since I can't think of any reason you should bother watching the baseball game :) :) :)

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

A few of the SFR SCCA peeps ran with them earlier this year.  Larry Oka was there with a few cars.  

Pretty laid back gentlemanly race if I understand correctly.  Not like the usual field of ~40 SMs at a SFR SCCA race.  Contact very much discouraged.

They ran in their own group so they didn't get to embarrass any of the over hyped german engineered cars :) ;)

• Mike Colangelo likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
So basically a Miata parade.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

A few of the SFR SCCA peeps ran with them earlier this year.  Larry Oka was there with a few cars.  

Pretty laid back gentlemanly race if I understand correctly.  Not like the usual field of ~40 SMs at a SFR SCCA race.  Contact very much discouraged.

They ran in their own group so they didn't get to embarrass any of the over hyped german engineered cars :) ;)

It was CSRG...different org but vintage still. 

• Alberto likes this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Colangelo

Mike Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Region:Cal Club (SoCal)

Walter, it is possible to race Spec Miata without banging into each other.  :)

• steveracer likes this

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

OOOOOGGHHHHH!!!! Shots Fired! hahahaha. 

:rotfl:

Think Racing

Think Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:DC Region
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:23

I'm interested to see the rule set. Will it be based on SM or SSM, or showroom stock?

Fred McConnell
www.sunoco.com

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I don't see any rules yet.

J~

http://www.svra.com/...g-championship/

Contacts.

http://www.svra.com/contact/

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Hoosier Named Official Series Tire for SVRA

The Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA) announced that Hoosier Racing Tire will be the official tire of its fast-growing road racing series in 2017. Hoosier, already the choice of many SVRA racers, adds their brand name to the list of sponsors joining or stepping up their involvement the vintage racing organization.

"Joining forces with a powerful company like Hoosier is another critical piece of the puzzle as we enhance our national racing platform with an impressive and growing list of investing sponsors," said Tony Parella, SVRA president and CEO. "With the broad array of cars in our series spanning decades from 100 years ago to contemporary racers we know Hoosier, with over 1,000 tire types, can meet the challenge of our needs."

While SVRA officials agree that one of the most appealing aspects to race fans of their series is the broad array of cars across 12 groups and numerous classes within them, it also that imposes special challenges on tires. That fact along with the diversity of tracks the series visits – from the ultra-modern, state-of-the-art permanent Circuit of the Americas Formula 1 course to airport circuits like Amelia Island's Fernandina Municipal Airport – puts a premium on having the support of a high-technology race tire manufacturer with the depth, breadth and state-of-the-art resources necessary to provide safe, fast, affordable rubber.

"We're already a leading supplier of tires in the vintage racing paddock and we are very excited about the prospect of working more closely with the SVRA, their race teams and car owners," said Bruce Foss, Hoosier Tire Circuit Racing Business Unit Manager. "We are greatly impressed with the fast growth of the SVRA which in just the past three seasons has expanded into a national organization. We want the Hoosier Racing Tire brand to be a key part of that growth momentum."

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users