Photo

Getting Started w/ I-Racing - what do I need?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior

Racing to Cure ALS

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I have read the requirements online at the website... Is there anything I should have? I have a wheel I used to use in NASCAR 2003 (TSW) will that still work or do I need a new wheel? Anything else I need?

Thanks,
Alan
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Headset! Voice chat rules.typing sucks. Not sure about the wheel.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Spec Miata Archives are a good place to look.

http://forum.specmia...40;t=000074;p=0

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mark Drennan

Mark Drennan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:NorCal
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:10
Here's more than you need. More like what you deserve. B)

Since it's all about what you see, without a good video card & monitor combo you WILL be slower than necessary.
- Good video card ~$200-300
- Good monitor - low response time (.2-.5ms) and low input lag (tougher to find data)
http://www.rodneyrey...g-monitor-specs
Frames per second need to be >60fps. You can lower the iRacing graphics effects to improve performance in the options menu during a session

900 degree wheel is a must. Otherwise, steering is 'non-linear' which makes oversteer corrections guesswork and you WILL be slower. You're old TSW is probably around a 270 degree wheel but obviously it's 'free' if you can get it to work. Here are the modern alternatives...
- Logitech DrivingForce GT $99-150 / plus - cheap and has lots of buttons to assign; minus - tiny and awkwardly placed paddle shifter buttons, no clutch pedal (not a biggie)
- Logitech G25 (discontinued but you may find a deal used) / plus - great paddle shifter, nicer pedals w/ clutch; minus - only a few buttons on wheel
- Logitech G27 $300 / plus - smoother & quieter, same great paddle shifter and pedal set as G25; minus - higher price...but you deserve it

Headset can be a cheapo (e.g. mine was around $20). Of course, you can pay more to get more.

See you at the track...on iRacing!
-Mark

PS - over the last couple months, I've shared quite a few sessions with current Indy Car champ William "Will" Power. He's genuinely fast and practices a lot. Best session together was a sustained dice with him at Mid-O in V8 Supercars (right hand drive).

Come join us y'all - it's very realistic, extremely cheap (one you're setup), and an absolute blast. Oh, and the cars are perfectly even...TRUE PARITY
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Buelligan

Buelligan

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Region:DC
  • Car Number:05

I have read the requirements online at the website... Is there anything I should have? I have a wheel I used to use in NASCAR 2003 (TSW) will that still work or do I need a new wheel? Anything else I need?

Thanks,
Alan

Alan,
Come talk to me at the track, or better yet you can come and check out my setup, I'm about 35 mins from the track. Ask Nick Brunni about my setup he stopped by one day after working at Gasoline Alley and really enjoyed it. I will help you with what you need. Mark's list is good information and I can eloborate more if needed. I have been a member since Aug. 2008. Like Mark said it is a blast! Plus you can join our little series we are getting ready to start. I might actually be able to beat you at the Point, for a little while at least! LOL
Mike Monaghan
WDCR SSM #05

Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior

Racing to Cure ALS

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Thanks guys. I will work on that list and will stop by and check out Mike's setup.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
Anyone know where I can get a Logitech G27 or G25?
Want to do this iracing thing, but no sense using inferior equipment. It's frustrating that these are so unavailable. Is there another alternative that's just as good & more available?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Buelligan

Buelligan

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Anyone know where I can get a Logitech G27 or G25?
Want to do this iracing thing, but no sense using inferior equipment. It's frustrating that these are so unavailable. Is there another alternative that's just as good & more available?

They are very available last I looked. Try E-bay and Amazon both have them for about original retail $275-$300.

Click here for an example. $299 free shipping buy it now. 6 Available
G-27 on Ebay

I don't know of anything better for this price. I know there are better wheels, but they are pretty expensive, some as much as $1500. I believe the G27 is dicontinued so get one soon because if it is anything like the red MOMO by Logitech the price went balistic after they were dicscontinued. I see some are already trying to get $1200 for it on Ebay!
Mike Monaghan
WDCR SSM #05

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

They are very available last I looked. Try E-bay and Amazon both have them for about original retail $275-$300.

Click here for an example. $299 free shipping buy it now. 6 Available
G-27 on Ebay

I don't know of anything better for this price. I know there are better wheels, but they are pretty expensive, some as much as $1500. I believe the G27 is dicontinued so get one soon because if it is anything like the red MOMO by Logitech the price went balistic after they were dicscontinued. I see some are already trying to get $1200 for it on Ebay!

Thanks Mike. Just ordered it.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Buelligan

Buelligan

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Thanks Mike. Just ordered it.

No problem glad to help! Now look into joining our hosted series in the MX5 Cup car. Keep an eye on the other forum in iRacing Simulator section. We hopr to get started in a month or so. Good luck and Happy iRacing!
Mike Monaghan
WDCR SSM #05

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
I hope to be able to play next week and in the series. I bought severeral of the next tracks, last night.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
There have been gamer kids talking about a non existent G29 for several months. Fanatech also has some good options but once you get the best package with all the options you're in the $600 range. This reminds me of when the G25 was discontinued and there was a several month gap between that and the G27 coming out. I can't see Logitech abandoning the entire high end product though I suppose stranger things have happened. If you look in the back of GRM there is an outfit that modifies the pedals for what they call a more realistic feel.

Lance Snyder

Lance Snyder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I am running the Logitech MoMo wheel and while it works it ain't great. Would love to get a G series wheel but would need one of the pedal stands they sell as it doesn't clip to my computer desk like the MoMo does.
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
I've got the momo too. I've just been trying a new setting for the wheel. I turned down the degrees at speed to near 1:1. I'm finding it is much more controllable. Gotta unlearn some habits, and maybe still tweak it some. But, it is a step closer.

I keep wanting to get a really nice wheel and pedal setup, but it always loses to the real race car.

-tch

Buelligan

Buelligan

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Less than $50.00 and a G-27 you too can build a mock SM cockpit!

Posted Image
Mike Monaghan
WDCR SSM #05

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
See... the problem is that's a clutch or a used transmission or two tires. Sigh... the momo is ok.

-tch

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
I got the Logitech G27, signed up for iracing, and now it won't work. All my hardware seemed to be good enough (as far as I could tell reading everything available).

The problem is, after a lap or two, the graphics slow way down, and even the mouse barely works. Does the same thing quickly when spectating. I thought it was a ram shortage, so I added 2G, up to 3.24G now, and this didn't change anything. Using an Nvidia GeForce 8500GT graphics card, HP w2207 monitor, 150G free hard drive space, 2.4Ghz Intel PC, Windows XP.

Any help appreciated.

Buelligan

Buelligan

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

I got the Logitech G27, signed up for iracing, and now it won't work. All my hardware seemed to be good enough (as far as I could tell reading everything available).

The problem is, after a lap or two, the graphics slow way down, and even the mouse barely works. Does the same thing quickly when spectating. I thought it was a ram shortage, so I added 2G, up to 3.24G now, and this didn't change anything. Using an Nvidia GeForce 8500GT graphics card, HP w2207 monitor, 150G free hard drive space, 2.4Ghz Intel PC, Windows XP.

Any help appreciated.

Just saw this. I'll try to help.

1. Which CPU? Pentium 4 or Core2 Duo maybe?
2. Size of HDD?

try these:

1. Defragment HDD

2. Run MSconfig and shut down background apps
3. Run any virus and Malware scans you have
4. Adjust the graphics toward performance in the simulator
5. Check the settings on the Nvidia control panel. I found settings in the iRacing forums.

Good Luck! let me know if this get's you anywhere.
Mike Monaghan
WDCR SSM #05

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
The Gforce 8500 is on the low end, and only has 512 mb of mem. What cpu will make some difference, but only a little. Without replacing the video card... you are going to have to back down on the rendering, and textures.

-tch

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

The Gforce 8500 is on the low end, and only has 512 mb of mem. What cpu will make some difference, but only a little. Without replacing the video card... you are going to have to back down on the rendering, and textures.

CPU: Intel Core2 6600 @ 2.4Ghz
300G hard drive, 150G avail. Doing disk cleanup now.
Downloaded latest Nvidia driver, didn't help.

Rather than turn down the rendering & textures, I'll buy a new graphics card, as long as that's all I'll need. Any suggestions that can handle the max settings on iracing without breaking the bank?

Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)